IGNORED

CollectorVision Club 2019

retroillucid

2 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

OK...still missing my point...you tell a kid he can't have candy (the game is the candy)...he still wants the candy, but knows he can't have it. That's why I'm shutting up....I'm not explaining myself very well.

I get your point but you know, I can’t have everything in life, so I move on, not the end of the world.   As it is, you will still be able to play the game at some point as stated above.

• Thanks 1

Received mine today, and I am very happily surprised! Had no idea, and it makes so much sense. I love the packaging and LOVE the journalism. You guys did a spectacular job on this one. Once again thank you for believing in this fan-base and pulling together such incredible projects to completion! 

You get what you pay for (and I haven’t paid for a CV Phoenix ?). The club idea is a fun thing that links all the away back from Little Orphan Annie to our favorite days of the 1983 Atari Club exclusives... Beyond that, I’m pretty certain that it goes back for centuries. I want to thank the CollectorVision team for creating a unique and functional enterprise, and for catering to our hearts!

Edited by phattyboombatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Glad to hear that, I missed out on the first 2 runs and was looking forward to chance to get one.  Thanks!

I also just got my club game in, very surprised, looks great!  I was hoping for a colored cart to match but I understand that may not have been reasonable but that does not take away from it being such a cool looking game and awesome box!

Looking forward to next years club!

P.S. When can we talk about the game?  I assume when everyone get theirs?

A certain company released a pair of secret games like six years ago and no one talks about it still. I don't think people get the secret game idea. Haha.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

For those that missed out on the secret game, based off some of the names on the list, I would think it's a well educated guess based on past track records that at least 1 copy will end up on ebay.

Well, this member won't be able to subscribe for next year
Like I said before, flipping the game on ebay is a nay 
Although, we will accept if a member sell/trade the game to a fellow member here
We're even offering to buy-back the game 

i found the idea of the secret and exclusive game for club members very good. I like that a lot in fact. 

Even if technically at the end ,In fact, they paid (a lot)  for the game , And it is a limited release.  Nothing more.  But  The "surprise" Game , i love the concept. 

What i don't understand,  it is why kept the name secret after every member received it?  And exclude people from your club if they reveal the name?

And i guess also if they post video on youtube?

For the 2 games of the "other" company , we can understand why the secret is needed.   But here?

As  developer , for instance,  they could be a risk  i could spend time developing a version of that game if i don't know it exists  , it is pity. I 'd prefer work on non existing game .

I have already started some games  and then discovered  after that other developers were already working on the same Title.  As i prefer play game from other than mine, i prefer let them continue and stop on my side to work on something new.   It is not a problem what it is Original games  , but when it is a Arcade Adaption or an adaption of a popular title  it could happens.   Already happened to me  4 times!   As we tend to adapt the game we love, and we tend to  love more or less all the same games...

4 minutes ago, youki said:

i found the idea of the secret and exclusive game for club members very good. I like that a lot in fact. 

Even if technically at the end ,In fact, they paid (a lot)  for the game , And it is a limited release.  Nothing more.  But  The "surprise" Game , i love the concept. 

What i don't understand,  it is why kept the name secret after every member received it?  And exclude people from your club if they reveal the name?

nobody said, I think  that we couldn't reveal the name, once all member got it....

I *love* the idea of a secret game, it is a great way to drum up extra money.

What I don't love is exclusive games.  I *hate* limited run games (like when there's only 10 of something ever made, no more after that).

I'd like to see something like this: Secret game for 6 months.  Sell it to the rest of us after that.  After another year, release the ROM.  But yeah, its yours to do what you want with, that's just what I'd like to see.

The suspense is killing me though.  How long until we can know what it is?  LOL

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

For those that missed out on the secret game, based off some of the names on the list, I would think it's a well educated guess based on past track records that at least 1 copy will end up on ebay.

Which is a legal and acceptable way of selling goods. It is also well within buyer’s rights.  On the other hand, It  may be overreaching by seller threatening to ban members and place controls to the merchandise after is not longer their property.And, I do not plan to sell my copy, but others may want to do it.
Overall, I am in favor of less complications. We are adults not kids anymore....if someone posted the game....what’s the big deal? 
If you are happy with what you paid for after the misunderstandings and delays this year...then fine. There will be another year.  

chill, relax, Let it be! 

Edited by alortegac

2 hours ago, alortegac said:

Which is a legal and acceptable way of selling goods. It is also well within buyer’s rights.  On the other hand, It  may be overreaching by seller threatening to ban members and place controls to the merchandise after is not longer their property.A

In fact,  i think , when you "buy" a software ,  you simply buy a usage license.  The game is not your property legally. :)

It is more and more true nowadays where there is no more physical support.   But it was already like that since the beginning.  Normally you can not re-sell your game  except if the license say you can transfer the license to somebody else.     

It was made clear to me in an email that this was a requirement to be in the club and you could get refund if didn't agree with keeping the game secret and the roms to yourself.

Everyone agreed to not share the game name , or resell it or share the roms.

It's not that hard to keep my word.

Edited by digress

26 minutes ago, youki said:

In fact,  i think , when you "buy" a software ,  you simply buy a usage license.  The game is not your property legally. :)

It is more and more true nowadays where there is no more physical support.   But it was already like that since the beginning.  Normally you can not re-sell your game  except if the license say you can transfer the license to somebody else.     

This is not a software license,  this is a videogame cartridge. Tell me you cannot resell used videogames, dvds, books, etc. 

I am not legal expert, you may be right. I am just making an observation of the normal practices.

Edited by alortegac
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, digress said:

It was made clear to me in an email that this was a requirement to be in the club and you could get refund if didn't agree with keeping the game secret and the roms to yourself.

Everyone agreed to not share the game name , or resell it or share the roms.

It's not that hard to keep my word.

That is as long as the membership is current. Once it expires, you may not be bound to the rules. Unless there is a lifetime buyback promise. 

Again, I want to emphasize,  I do NOT plan to do either.

Edited by alortegac

2 hours ago, H.E.R.O. said:

To the complainers about club members not saying what the super secret game is I did offer a date of December 1st to spill the beans as everyone getting the super secret game should have it by then.

It's not THAT far off, is it? 

Before anything else, I should mention that no one has told me what the secret game is, and I haven't asked anyone about it. Right now, I don't know anything about this game, and I'm fine with that.

With this said, if CollectorVision is serious about wanting the game to be kept secret, you should recognize that they have actual reasons for keeping this release as low-key as possible, and that these reasons probably have nothing to do with being capricious or maintaning a childish "secret club" mentality.

I expect that, in time, this secret will be gradually revealed to all ColecoVision fans in this community who are not a part of the club (such as myself) and if you are one of those people and are itching to find out what this "secret club game" is, don't expect this information to simply pop up on public forums or social media. Just ask a fellow CV fan in private politely, and when you eventually find out, keep this info to yourself and don't assume it's okay to divulge anything about the game publicly over years to come. This is the proper course to follow if you want to show the CollectorVision team your appreciation for their hard work.

Just my two cents on this matter.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, alortegac said:

That is as long as the membership is current. Once it expires, you may not be bound to the rules. 

I would argue that the agreement is in effect until such time Collectorvision ceases to be as a business entity. Least that's my interpretation.