IGNORED

CollectorVision Club 2019

retroillucid

54 minutes ago, zaphro72 said:

This isn't a phoenix option I am talking about but don't want to get too much more into it just in case I am giving away too much about the game

Doh - I now realise what you mean - sorry.  So, the club mystery game has an in-game flicker enable/disabled option.  There is nothing in the game manual describing what this option does.  This begs a few questions to CollectorVision:

1. Does the flicker option only work if the cart is being played in an F18A enabled system?
  2. Does the in-game flicker option cooperate with the Phoenix (and real F18A) flicker settings?
  3. Does the game use sprite masking?
  4. Any other F18A enhancements (if an F18A is required/present)?

22 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

This isn't a phoenix option I am talking about but don't want to get too much more into it just in case I am giving away too much about the game

21 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Doh - I now realise what you mean - sorry.  So, the club mystery game has an in-game flicker enable/disabled option.  There is nothing in the game manual describing what this option does.  This begs a few questions to CollectorVision:

1. Does the flicker option only work if the cart is being played in an F18A enabled system?
  2. Does the in-game flicker option cooperate with the Phoenix (and real F18A) flicker settings?
  3. Does the game use sprite masking?
  4. Any other F18A enhancements (if an F18A is required/present)?

It sounds like you choose if you want the F18A version or standard version, depending on whether or not you have an F18A, like Tank Mission. If you have F18A or Phoenix, I assume you choose flicker off. I'd PM JF and ColecoMaster directly if still unsure. They may not want to yak about it here.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:24 AM, Ikrananka said:

The Phoenix does not allow you to enable/disable flicker in-game.  This setting can only be changed at the SD loader menu or during the boot sequence when a physical cart is inserted (using the latest core).

Flicker enabled/disabled is the same as the F18A USR1 jumper setting which toggles between 4 and 32 sprites per scanline being supported.  The original video chip of the CV had a sprite/scanline limit of 4 which would often lead to flicker when more than 4 sprites were present o the same scanline.  So, flicker enabled (USR1 = OFF) is equivalent to how the original CV video chip worked while flicker disabled (USR1 = ON).

The only games that I'm currently aware that benefit from "flicker" being enabled are:

• Antarctic Adventure
  • QBIQS

I also found that Q*Bert Qubes also benefit from "flicker" being enabled. There are some graphic glitches with flicker being disabled.

28 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

next year, if I am not wrong

I was led to believe we get the rom for the super secret game this club year. I'm already not happy they pulled some promised this year's club stuff for next year's club.