IGNORED

Tower Toppler Review...

gorfcadet

I know some people will love this game and others will hate it, but I found a nice change of pace game. I would never try to play it all the way through in one sitting. Too much memorization, but in small spurts I think it can be fun. That's because I'm an arcade gamer even on my C64 as a kid I played ports like Star Wars over the computer games that required gamers to know the secret handshake.

What do you guys think of this one?

• Like 5

It is a great game, although I wouldn't place it under my 'Top 10'.

Nonetheless, it receives my recommendation as being one of the better games under the system; definitely worth the time and effort to become really good at it.

A complete playthrough is in the spoiler below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCs9bZ8VSM8

"Entering The...
...Tower Of Eyes" - Tower 1 [00:46]
...Realm Of Robots" - Tower 2 [03:44]
...Trap Of Tricks" - Tower 3 [06:14]
...Slippery Slide" - Tower 4 [09:34]
...Broken Path" - Tower 5 [13:10]
...Swimmers Delight" - Tower 6 [18:35]
...Nasty One" - Tower 7 [23:34]
...Edge Of Doom" - Tower 8 [28:39]
Bonus Rounds: 02:58, 05:29, 08:42, 12:22, 16:40, 22:31, 27:53.

• Like 3

It's hands down the most visually appealing game for the 7800. Gameplay.. It's decent, but extremely difficult. Fortunately the 7800 version has a bunch of cheats available.

Yeah, I felt like this is a "not for everybody" game due to the difficulty. I mean it immediately cheap shots the player with a trap floor tile right off the bat! For me, its a change of pace game that I'll pop in once in a blue moon and play for 5 minutes. The difficulty is just too much for me and I'll never put in the time to memorize the paths.

• Like 2

it is a fun challenging game if a bit frustrating. the time limit is too short. the game is constantly trying to knock you off and nothing is more frustrating than making it too the top with seconds to spare then getting bumped halfway down. i wish there was a timer cheat for the game, then it would be more enjoyable...

My main issue with the game is that as you can see in the video walkthrough for each of the towers, some spots actually require you to get hit at a certain time and place so that you can more easily drop down to a slightly lower section required to get higher up the tower. It is counter intuitive to what you are supposed to do (Avoid all baddies), and the fact that the trap tiles exist is frustrating but at least makes sense in puzzle elements of the game overall. But getting hit by enemies to advance just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to like this game, and I've tried many times, starting with the DOS release. The graphics are wonderful, the game concept is great, but the execution is just non-stop frustration for me. Too much memorization and unforgivingly large hit detection. I recently found out there's a 16-bit sequel made for the Amiga-- maybe I'll give that one a go.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

I couldn't figure this one out. IIRC, there are bricks that drop you to your death when you step on them, and there's no way to know that in advance, so it's a game of trial and error and memorization. That ended it for me, unless I missed something?

You're correct. To beat each tower within the time limits requires memorizing the exact paths to take to get to the top. And that is all about trial and error as you stated.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You're correct. To beat each tower within the time limits requires memorizing the exact paths to take to get to the top. And that is all about trial and error as you stated.

I need to give this game another try. I never really gave it a fair shot.

I've tried several times over many years to like this game.  I think I made it to the 3rd tower once for a HSC round.  The graphics are great, but that's its only redeeming quality.  The game isn't fun, the memorization-based gameplay is irritating and the characters and enemies look dumb.  It's not the worst game in the 7800 library by a long shot, but it's near the bottom of my "meh" list.

• Like 1

The graphics used to look good on this game, but on a UAV you either get a really messed up color palate in composite mode, or you get the stripes of prison in s-video so it is one of the few games to leave the RF modulator intact for when playing.

• Thanks 1