IGNORED

The mystery of the brown Music Synthesizer

Intymike

Normally one would say, the grey Music Synthesizer is for the North American market and the brown one is for the international market.

But from the three brown Synthesizers I own, one has the NA labels on it. It seems a small amount of brown ECS stuff was made for people who wanted fitting extensions for their Intellivision I.

Maybe that's already known.

My four Music Synthesizers:

post-30718-0-43627600-1546188213_thumb.jpg

The International label with model no. 4630:

post-30718-0-71868400-1546188250_thumb.jpg

post-30718-0-66997500-1546188346_thumb.jpg

The NA labels with Model No. 4188 and also the special orange label:

post-30718-0-05507700-1546188432_thumb.jpg

post-30718-0-34528800-1546188457_thumb.jpg

post-30718-0-33095700-1546188474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 4

In 1984, Intellivision Inc acquired Mattel's Intellivision inventory. This would have included items in various stages of packaging. Things like this might have been a result of their completing what they had from the loose items in their inventory.

Intellivision Inc slammed Mattel Electronics stickers on the hardware?

I agree with mr_me's thoughts. It seems likely that at the very end, Mattel / Intellivision Inc. / INTV Corp. would just use existing inventory to meet whatever rapidly shrinking demand remained. We've seen this a lot with consoles, so it should not be too surprising that it happened with these.

It's an awesome item!

This reminds me of something. Growing up in New Jersey, it seemed that the area (specifically northern NJ) got Intellivision stuff sooner than other places on the East Coast. Was NJ some kind of test market or "first run" region for Mattel back then? We had a console failure once, a friend also did, and we were both able to drive about 40 minutes north and get a repair.

Normally one would say, the grey Music Synthesizer is for the North American market and the brown one is for the international market.

But from the three brown Synthesizers I own, one has the NA labels on it. It seems a small amount of brown ECS stuff was made for people who wanted fitting extensions for their Intellivision I.

Maybe that's already known.

My four Music Synthesizers:

attachicon.gifIMG_9421.jpg

The International label with model no. 4630:

attachicon.gifIMG_9411.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9420.jpg

The NA labels with Model No. 4188 and also the special orange label:

attachicon.gifIMG_9413.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9416.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9417.jpg

Mattel had an Intellivision "sales" office in Englewood, NJ. In Canada, there were ten intellivision service centres, two of them were in Toronto.

Mattel probably had good Intellivision distribution in 1981/82 but retailers started dropping them in 1983. I never saw an ecs computer module on store shelves, didn't even know it was released. Did anyone here see the music keyboard in a store in 1983?

Mattel had an Intellivision "sales" office in Englewood, NJ. In Canada, there were ten intellivision service centres, two of them were in Toronto.

Mattel probably had good Intellivision distribution in 1981/82 but retailers started dropping them in 1983. I never saw an ecs computer module on store shelves, didn't even know it was released. Did anyone here see the music keyboard in a store in 1983?

Im sure I seen one in a dept store back then.

Not sure if it was Eatons/Simpsons /or Sears

But I do remember looking at it and thinking wow.

• Like 1