IGNORED

Atari 800 Keyboard Issues

Gavin1968

Hi All,

I have been doing more and more with my original Atari 800 and I have a keyboard issue that maybe someone can help me out with. All of the keys work with the exception of the following:

7 8 9 0 CLEAR INSERT DELETE BREAK

Those are all the top right keys. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this issue without just replacing the keyboard? I am trying to keep this machine all stock since I have owned it since 1981.

Thanks,

Gavin

If you have the same keyboard as mine, the ribbon cable connecting to the motherboard ends in individual bare wires that you have to make sure all make it into the proper holes. The ribbon spreads the wires out slightly wider than the motherboard connector too, so they all have to be bent inward slightly to go in the holes. It's a real pain and I had issues when I was working on my 800 recently too, as one wire did not get in it's hole. Since the keys not working on your 800 are all connected to pin 1, it is also very likely that that wire missed the hole if you have removed and re-attached the keyboard recently. The one that wasn't plugged in on my 800 was the one at the opposite end from pin 1 (I forget how many pins the keyboard ribbon has on it). So look at the ribbon/connector too, if your keyboard is the same type.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here is a diagram i found for the 400 - it tallies with what JR> said about pin 1

bear in mind this is reversed looking from the back of the board

i couldnt find an official diagram nor one on jerzy szobolas site - this is a homemade one published in a magazine article back in the day

hope it helps

post-38211-0-77354200-1546342311.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...