IGNORED

Dare Devil - WIP (Atari2600)

Muddyfunster

Nice update Muddyfunster, the wind adds a lot to the gameplay! Looking forward to playing it on the Twitch stream next Wednesday!

Thanks Cimmerian,

Experimenting with the strengths, but I think it's probably fine as it is.

Will have another update in the next day or 2 with a lot of extra assets and some of the new features.

Works on my regular Harmony cart. I don't have an Encore so can't test, maybe someone can confirm?

Encores running an older BIOS (see reply 341) have trouble with some versions of the DPC+ driver. Try replacing the driver you're using with this one:

DPC+20121020.arm.zip

I've not done much with bB, an incomplete Star Wars game done with my nephew and ported one of my sound drivers, but it looks like the DPC driver is in the includes directory and is called DPCplus.arm. To replace it:

• unzip the new driver into the includes directory
  • rename DPCplus.arm to DPCplus_orig.arm (so you can rename it back if something goes wrong)
  • rename DPC+20121020.arm to DPCplus.arm
Rebuild your project and post new build that'll work for all Harmony cartridges.

In the mean time I've patched your ROMs from the initial post to use the new driver so Encore uses can try it out:

DD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas_encore.bin

DD_v64_NTSC weathervane.bas_encore.bin

This was done via the command line on my Mac using the following commands, which will also work on Linux. Can be done using Windows as well, but the commands would be different.

dd skip=3 count=29 if=DD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas.bin of=wm29k.bin bs=1024
cat DPC+20121020.arm wm29k.bin > DD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas_encore.bin 

dd skip=3 count=29 if=DD_v64_NTSC\ weathervane.bas.bin of=wv29k.bin bs=1024
cat DPC+20121020.arm wv29k.bin > DD_v64_NTSC\ weathervane.bas_encore.bin 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Encores running an older BIOS (see reply 341) have trouble with some versions of the DPC+ driver. Try replacing the driver you're using with this one:

attachicon.gifDPC+20121020.arm.zip

I've not done much with bB, an incomplete Star Wars game done with my nephew and ported one of my sound drivers, but it looks like the DPC driver is in the includes directory and is called DPCplus.arm. To replace it:

• unzip the new driver into the includes directory
  • rename DPCplus.arm to DPCplus_orig.arm (so you can rename it back if something goes wrong)
  • rename DPC+20121020.arm to DPCplus.arm
Rebuild your project and post new build that'll work for all Harmony cartridges.

In the mean time I've patched your ROMs from the initial post to use the new driver so Encore uses can try it out:

attachicon.gifDD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas_encore.bin

attachicon.gifDD_v64_NTSC weathervane.bas_encore.bin

This was done via the command line on my Mac using the following commands, which will also work on Linux. Can be done using Windows as well, but the commands would be different.

dd skip=3 count=29 if=DD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas.bin of=wm29k.bin bs=1024
cat DPC+20121020.arm wm29k.bin > DD_NTSC_88WindyMiller.bas_encore.bin 

dd skip=3 count=29 if=DD_v64_NTSC\ weathervane.bas.bin of=wv29k.bin bs=1024
cat DPC+20121020.arm wv29k.bin > DD_v64_NTSC\ weathervane.bas_encore.bin 

Thank you!

Muddyfunster, This game is very well done! I really enjoyed Sky Diver, so to see something like this be built is really fantastic. I think with some sounds added, you're really close to a fun and impressive release! Thank you for creating this.

new build attached at the top, V105 with a bunch of new stuff - follow the development http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286538-wip-dare-devil/

edit : this was built with the revised library so I hope with works with Encore carts without modification.

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 1

We'll be featuring Dare Devil on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this Wednesday on Twitch at 11AM PT/2PM ET 6PM PT/9PM ET (UPDATED TIME)! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:
Dare Devil (2019 WIP) by Muddyfunster
Chaotic Grill (2018 WIP Update) by splendidnut
Shark Jaws + (2019 WIP) by winkdot
Snow Flakes 2018 (2019) by Lolkiu64
Tumble Temple (2019 WIP) by bluswimmer

EDIT: UPDATED WITH VIDEO OF SHOW

post-37205-0-22200500-1546929145_thumb.png

Edited by cimmerian

We'll be featuring Dare Devil on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this Wednesday on Twitch at 11AM PT/2PM ET 6PM PT/9PM ET (UPDATED TIME)! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games on Wednesday:

Dare Devil (2019 WIP) by Muddyfunster

Chaotic Grill (2018 WIP Update) by splendidnut

Shark Jaws + (2019 WIP) by winkdot

Snow Flakes 2018 (2019) by Lolkiu64

Tumble Temple (2019 WIP) by bluswimmer

Thanks for featuring Dare Devil on the show James, I caught it today on "catch up".

The feedback was great to hear, especially for the levels (I thought they were too easy!)

Next I'll be focusing on getting the code stable on real hardware and getting rid of the crashes etc.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

You're welcome, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get some valuable feedback out of the stream. :-)

Thanks for featuring Dare Devil on the show James, I caught it today on "catch up".

The feedback was great to hear, especially for the levels (I thought they were too easy!)

Next I'll be focusing on getting the code stable on real hardware and getting rid of the crashes etc.

Thanks again!

New V147 build up for testing (the "nena" build because of all the red balloons).

• Added an extra level and some rudimentary sfx.
  • some levels now have clouds (place holder graphic for now)
  • 50% chance cloud becomes a balloon. Right now only red balloons, later versions will have other colours for power ups, points, etc.
  • crash bug fixed at game over.
  • Like 2

the "nena" build because of all the red balloons

First time I heard that was on American Top 40. My German was decent enough back then that I didn't realize they'd played the German version until afterward when Casey Kasem called it 99 Red Balloons and I went "huh?" - 99 luftballoons is 99 air balloons and rot (red) didn't even occur in the song.

The video has a bunch of different colors for the balloons.

• Like 3