IGNORED

Need three measures of the A800 SIO port

Irgendwer

Hi,

while making plans for an SIO extension and having only XLs and XEs in reach, I need three measures of the 800:

post-7778-0-08524500-1546195817_thumb.png

* the height from the desk to the "lower inside of the port" (I measured 17.05 mm for the XL)

* the height straight up from the top inside of the port to the next case barrier (15.3 mm for the XL)

* the depth from the outside port bezel to a (imaginable) plane with no height restriction formed by the computer case (5.4 mm for the XL)

I think (hope) the measures are the same for the 400?

Sorry, I only have a standard ruler to use, so you will have to translate from inches and inch fractions to millimeters.

Height from desk to the lower inside port wall 1 inch and 3/32. Inside port top to next case barrier 7/16 inch.

As to the last description of measurement you confuse me, but going by the picture, I measured from the bezel face to even with the outside case/bezel trim which are even and that is 5/16 inch.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for your efforts!

... measured from the bezel face to even with the outside case/bezel trim which are even and that is 5/16 inch.

...so after "going away" 5/16 inch from the SIO connector the case of the A800 is no longer an obstacle up- and downwards for another case?

Maybe a "second source" with a slide gauge could verify your measures...

"...so after "going away" 5/16 inch from the SIO connector the case of the A800 is no longer an obstacle up- and downwards for another case?"

Yes, that last measurement is from the face of the bezel at the top of the Bezel, which slants outward toward the bottom slightly*, and clearing the case at 5/16, however, not from the edge of the SIO connector, which protrudes slightly from the face of the bezel, 1/16-3/32* of an inch.

*( the bezel face plate has a slight inward angle to it from bottom to top, and the SIO connector protrudes from the bezel face at the bottom outside edge 1/16 of an inch gradually increasing to 3/32 of an inch on the top outside edge of the SIO port.)

These are exact measurement as a ruler will allow. I have a caliper but it's in a mess of stuff inside my half-built house mixed in with other construction tools atm. It probably needs calibration before it could give a more precise result. I'm confident of my measurements to within 0.5 millimeters, with my ruler. which should be precise enough for what restrictions you are worried about.

It wouldn't be good enough if you wanted measurements of the inside of the SIO port for making a 3D print of an SIO plug, but it should be fine for something connecting to the port and sitting level on the desktop and clearing parts of the case, etc.

But, a second opinion is always good.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

When you say SIO "extension" to you mean multi-SIO-port expansion? Like APElink or Lotharek's SIO splitter, in basic concept? But it will be directly connected to the computer with no cord in between? Basically giving multi-SIO ports right off the computer?Or is it something else and I'm just not grasping what type of "extension" one would need otherwise.

1. From the bottom of the case to the bottom of the SIO connector is 30mm on both of my 800's. Be aware that both of mine

have new feet from My Atari so this number could be a bit smaller on other 800's.

I got this measurement by placing my 800's on a desktop and measuring the height with a metric tape measure.

2. The SIO opening (cut out) is 15mm tall (the SIO connector is 14mm over all height).

3. The depth from the farthest outside edge of the case to the face of the SIO connection is 7.5mm

Hope this helps!

DavidMil

• Like 1

When you say SIO "extension" to you mean multi-SIO-port expansion? Like APElink or Lotharek's SIO splitter, in basic concept? But it will be directly connected to the computer with no cord in between? Basically giving multi-SIO ports right off the computer?

Sounds like a neat idea too!

I like to create something different (yes, directly connected to the computer) but since I'm in a quite early stage of the development I won't tell yet what I'm thinking about... sorry.

Thank you for the measures - I will account a tolerance. You'll get a prototype if I ever finish what I'm thinking of...

• Like 1

400 I suspect would be different. First up, there's no facia plate, the surround is just a part of the outer case.

Also there is somewhat less space to the left and underneath of the socket. Finally I would suspect that the height from the desk is probably less than the 800.

I just looked, seems my machine is in a box under a bunch of other stuff otherwise I'd have just gotten it out and done the measurements.

a400side.jpg

• Like 2