IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2019!

#4 - Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) - as Ryu. The surroundings are messy, because I'm still trying to figure out how I want this little "gaming nook" area in my home office set up. Since my Retrotink is on the way I think I'll soon replace the CRT with a TCL 32S325 or 40S327 so I can stream Netflix/Hulu in the office, too.

post-61495-0-85133400-1548201850_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

#5 - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2). Totally didn't think I could beat Abyss's third form with as low as my team (Ryu, Guile, and Mega Man) was on health. I pulled out a miracle three-person 72-hit hyper combo that almost completely finished him from half health. He was basically down to one two-hit light combo. Then he took out Guile and Mega Man, and it was up to Ryu. I was just jumping around jamming on LP hoping he'd surface, and he did at just the right place and time. I'm just an awful MvC2 player, so this is a big deal for me. Usually I make it to stage 5 before I lose and the only way to beat Abyss is to cheap out with Cable's strong standing gun attack and Hyper Beam.

post-61495-0-51197000-1548472939_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

#4 - Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) - as Ryu. The surroundings are messy, because I'm still trying to figure out how I want this little "gaming nook" area in my home office set up. Since my Retrotink is on the way I think I'll soon replace the CRT with a TCL 32S325 or 40S327 so I can stream Netflix/Hulu in the office, too.

How many stars and what turbo setting did you use?

How many stars and what turbo setting did you use?

6 stars of difficulty, 3 star turbo. I'm a better SF2 player than MvC2 but still not what I'd call good. Playing Street Fighter 2 collection on PS4 online, I lose more than I win, or so it feels.

And for MvC2, I put the difficulty slider to the middle. It starts out at only 2/8, and the default is again pretty simple.

• Like 1

1. Overlord (NES)

I beat this every so often to help the annual NintendoAge effort to complete the NES library. I've never actually played it "properly" because it has a game-breaking exploit so obvious and trivial, there's no reason to bother.

2. Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)

Nice fan-translation of an enjoyable enough game. It's not a masterpiece and the mazes get a bit tedious, but there are worse ways to spend a few hours. B-.

3. The Addams Family (Game Boy)

This has the seeds of a good, non-linear platformer in Metroidvania style, but it's pretty much scuttled by poor design decisions. To name a handful:

• leaps of faith abound, as do forced hits upon entering an area;
  • after being hit by an enemy, you can't attack until your invincibility frames end;
  • there's a whole area of the game that serves no real purpose;
  • all the weapons follow the same flat trajectory, in a game that loves to have respawning enemies attack you from above;
  • all the weapons do the same damage to non-boss enemies, so those bats will take 2 hits no matter what;
  • after winning a boss fight, the game drops you back into the thick of it and automatically selects the item you just won, even if it's not a weapon;
  • it's possible to soft-lock the game by entering into a boss fight without enough weapon power in reserve.

Et cetera, et cetera. Yeah, the music is good and the controls are OK, and it's not a very hard game -- but it could have been so much better. D+.

• Like 1

The other day I beat Tournament Fighters on SNES on the hardest difficulty. I died once, but I still consider it beat. This game is a lot of fun and has a street fighter feel to it. I dont know how I got such a low score lol I'm not sure what else I could have done other then not die once. This is a great game and I will for sure be playing more of it.

post-46128-0-32423400-1548693902_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-66180700-1548693967_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-10929600-1548694012_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The other day I beat Tournament Fighters on SNES on the hardest difficulty. I died once, but I still consider it beat. This game is a lot of fun and has a street fighter feel to it. I dont know how I got such a low score lol I'm not sure what else I could have done other then not die once. This is a great game and I will for sure be playing more of it.

Fun game TMNT Tournament Fighters is Justin. I use to rent this game plenty of times at Blockbuster growing up. Still think it's a fun game after all these years and thought Konami did a good job developing it.

Keep up the great work as always bro. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Today I beat City Connection on NES. This is another game like Xenophobe and Popeye with no actual ending. I completed 1 loop and a few levels after so I'm considering this one beat as well. I actually had a lot of fun with this game and wouldn't mind giving the arcade version a shot after this.

post-46128-0-59161200-1548820182_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I beat Duke Nukem 64 for the first time today. Up to this point I would only play the first couple of levels but I decided I wanted to beat it a few weeks ago. I had to check out Youtube a few times because some stuff in this game is very cryptic. I had an absolute blast with this one though and I look forward to a second go around a year or two from now.

20190130_142403.jpg

• Like 2

Today I beat City Connection on NES. This is another game like Xenophobe and Popeye with no actual ending. I completed 1 loop and a few levels after so I'm considering this one beat as well. I actually had a lot of fun with this game and wouldn't mind giving the arcade version a shot after this.

attachicon.gif20190129_182634.jpg

Great game City Connection is Justin. My parents, my sister, and me were on line at Toys R Us on launch date for it and we saw them unload the boxes of it off the truck. Love when you hit the cat by mistake and he goes flying in the air. :-D

Anthony..

• Like 1

Tonight/this morning, I just beat the original, Legend of Zelda - NES, on Wii U Virtual Console.

:party:

Actually, I've been playing a lot of Wii U lately.. On to play Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of Time VC next.. It's just too damn cold outside. ;)

attachicon.gif20190131_005135.jpg

Way off topic, that Famicom-colored Wii U game pad is gorgeous.

• Like 1

Way off topic, that Famicom-colored Wii U game pad is gorgeous.

Thanks! That's what I thought too, when I first saw it. :lust:

You can get them on eBay, from Japan. They're made by Datel / Columbus Circle. Search for "WiiU retro face plate FC Red" and something should pop up. They may be a bit pricey but I think it was worth it, it's very high quality, with the gold part being real aluminum and not a sticker. Only downside is they're a little pricey though but search around and you should be able to snag one for under $30. :)

• Like 1

Today I beat Barbie on NES. Honestly it's not the worst ever. It's a platformer where you use your diamond to trigger items that help you progress. There are some unique but easy boss fights too. The platforming is clunky and the music is annoying and I dont reccomend it, but again it's not the worst.post-46128-0-03529400-1549665296_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-79575400-1549665318_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

4. Tail Gator (Game Boy)

One of those puzzle-platformers that's too easy, except when it's too hard (in the sense of aggravation and annoyance, not actual difficulty). Nothing major to fault, but a very middle-of-the-road affair.

5. Double Dragon III (NES)

Beat this for the fourth time. Why do so many folks think it's so hard? Frustrating here or there, certainly, but the only genuinely punishing part is the very end.

6. Volley Fire (Game Boy)

Ever played Atomic Robo-kid? Do you know that part, in between rounds, where you shoot at each other through destructible barriers, and almost none of your shots connect? Yeah, they made a whole game of that (Japanese-exclusive, as it happens). It's not terribly much fun, but at least it's got a non-linear element.

I beat two games for the first time today. The first was Kung Fu on NES. Yet another nes game that loops forever and has no real ending. So I played til I completed the first loop and considered it done.

post-46128-0-41514000-1549777615_thumb.jpg

The second game was Double Dragon 2 on co op. Me and my buddy have been working on this one for a while. I am no good at timing my flying knee, and struggled with the conveyor belt room toward the end, but I finally had a decent run and we beat it. I still lost all my lives but one on that damn conveyor belt but thankfully made it.

post-46128-0-64523700-1549777818_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-17266000-1549777845_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I beat two games for the first time today. The first was Kung Fu on NES. Yet another nes game that loops forever and has no real ending. So I played til I completed the first loop and considered it done.

The second game was Double Dragon 2 on co op. Me and my buddy have been working on this one for a while. I am no good at timing my flying knee, and struggled with the conveyor belt room toward the end, but I finally had a decent run and we beat it. I still lost all my lives but one on that damn conveyor belt but thankfully made it.

Kung-Fu and Double Dragon. Two of my happy childhood memories playing growing up Justin. I mean. I use to play them nonstop for a reason. Now I have to take them out and play them today bro. Nice work. :thumbsup:

P.S. Loving your Neo-Geo MVS board ya got there. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20190209_171925.jpg

attachicon.gif20190209_192503.jpgattachicon.gif20190209_192545.jpg

There's a trick to the conveyor belts in DD2 that makes them a breeze. You should never die in that room. The first and third belts rotate left so you just hold right while standing on them. Jump from the first belt to the third belt while holding right and then jump to safety. You can skip the second belt altogether. I've no-deathed DD2 a couple times. The four ninjas before the final bosses can be a pain in the ass. If you let the fight get out of hand they will jump around all over the place and do a bunch of damage.

Kung Fu is one of my favorite NES games to play for score. Some people can get over a million points and roll the score. I doubt that I'll ever come close. My best is around 350k.

• Like 1

There's a trick to the conveyor belts in DD2 that makes them a breeze. You should never die in that room. The first and third belts rotate left so you just hold right while standing on them. Jump from the first belt to the third belt while holding right and then jump to safety. You can skip the second belt altogether. I've no-deathed DD2 a couple times. The four ninjas before the final bosses can be a pain in the ass. If you let the fight get out of hand they will jump around all over the place and do a bunch of damage.

Kung Fu is one of my favorite NES games to play for score. Some people can get over a million points and roll the score. I doubt that I'll ever come close. My best is around 350k.

I will have to try that on the conveyor belt room next time I play. I still havnt beat it on one player so I still need to play. My buddy who was with me had had the score loop on kung fu. He has it on his YouTube I believe. He has a few world records actually. I do not lol.

Kung-Fu and Double Dragon. Two of my happy childhood memories playing growing up Justin. I mean. I use to play them nonstop for a reason. Now I have to take them out and play them today bro. Nice work. :thumbsup:

P.S. Loving your Neo-Geo MVS board ya got there. :)

Anthony..

Two classics for sure! I will probabaly play a little more kung fu and try to loop it a few times just because my friend gave me shit lol. And I really enjoy double dragon as well. I still have to beat it on one player.

• Like 1