IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2019!

I will have to try that on the conveyor belt room next time I play. I still havnt beat it on one player so I still need to play. My buddy who was with me had had the score loop on kung fu. He has it on his YouTube I believe. He has a few world records actually. I do not lol.

Also, the timing for the flying knee is tricky. I rely more on the hyper uppercut which is almost as good. Press punch when you land after a jump. I usually do it after a jump kick, when I do it.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

2. HarmoKnight (3DS)

Impulsive pickup on this one- I'd been poking around the Nintendo site, trying to figure out why they hadn't sent my Piranha Plant code for Smash, & saw I could use platinum coins for 40% off. Very cute, kind of easy, but also frustrating- it doesn't really do a good job of communicating why you missed a note when you miss a note, so you can't really figure out if you're going too fast or too slow. Unless you're actively going for full completion, it's not going to mess you up much though.

#6 - Shining Force II - Genesis

This is a great game. First time finishing it for me. Love the grind. I did use a walkthrough for the mithril weapons but otherwise it was blind. Found the dry stone totally by accident and caught the entrance to the village out of the corner of my eye. Only had enough to do like half my party but it was enough. Promoted everyone around level 30 and finished with a party in the early 20s post promotion. Final battle was a piece of cake and so was the hidden one. I was just starting to google how to get to it , because I knew it was there, and it got me first. Lol

The final game over message after doing this intense hidden battle is moronic.

post-61495-0-00697800-1550116756_thumb.jpeg

post-61495-0-79088500-1550116776_thumb.jpeg

attachicon.gif20190211_215731.jpgattachicon.gif20190211_215813.jpg

Finally beat RoadBlasters after 25 years! Bought the game back when Blockbuster was selling off their NES games in 1994...

Cool.

That's a fairly easy game if you keep your score multiplier high by trying to be accurate with your shots. Then your fuel reserve is refilled between stages. The stages where you start with low fuel can still be tough.

I played through the entire game only once. Now I just skip most levels whenever I beat it.

Edited by mbd30

Yesterday I managed to beat Double Dragon 2 on supreme master. I beat this recently on co op, but my buddy did most of the work so I had to go and beat it by myself. Great game and thanks mbd30 for the tip on the conveyor belt room. I never die there anymore. Also when I beat it I had one health left til a game over!post-46128-0-40072000-1550461215_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-85806600-1550461248_thumb.jpg

After that I had to go back and beat the first Double Dragon. I struggled with it in the past, but once I started using the punch only to build up a score and get better moves, the game got easier. The back elbow pretty much carried me through the game.post-46128-0-53161400-1550461635_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-97095100-1550461651_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGamer

Just saw this! Awesome man. I'm actually playing right now. I can get to level 5 so far lol. Any tips?

Here are some tips:

The trucks randomly drop 1ups. Get behind them and pause to see if they dropped a 1up or not. Just be prepared to get out of the way if it's not a 1up.This is best attempted in the first two or three stages that are not as hectic.Stage 8 will sometimes be generous with extra lives, but be careful.

Try to memorize the P locations for the different stages. They're not as random as they seem. Most stages you need to grab at least two.

Stage 5 will seem easy once you have it down. Just watch out for troll trucks that will result in you crashing into something if you try to jump on them.

Stage 6 is easy except for a weirdly precise jump at the end. But this can be bypassed by jumping to the mid-way platform and then to the goal. Fortunately there is a visual cue. For the final stretch take the path to the right that doesn't have any traffic. Keep your eye on the small blue buildings that quickly pass to your left. After passing the first two blue buildings and you're almost to the third one, jump. Be sure to hit the brakes if you jumped a bit too late. Trust me, this trick makes stage 6 so much easier.

Unfortunately stage 7 is one of the hardest in the game, IMO. Good luck. I recommend mostly ignoring the other cars and just paying attention to the road and not dying. The final stretch will take much practice until you're comfortable with it.

You get an extra life for every 100,000 points. So try to get as many points as you can. There's a 50k bonus for not crashing any cars but this is obviously difficult. I find that stages 6 and 11 (and maybe the first stage) are the easiest for for this bonus but it's still quite difficult. Another good high score strat involves repeatedly jumping on trucks, just don't get greedy.

A "pit stop" that resembles a spark plug appears when your P falls below 10. Running into it will let you boost your P to an insane degree by mashing the A button. Unfortunately the P spawns in random locations, sometimes inaccessible. Slowing down doesn't even help much. You can't get the pit stop if you're going too slow.

There is a precise jump at the end of stage 11 similar to stage 6 and it can be bypassed in a similar manner. I discovered where to jump from watching The Mexican Runner's Nesmania attempts and he learned about it from someone in chat. This one is hard to explain so I recommend watching TMR's Bump n Jump video on Youtube. He definitely does it in part 2. I recommend watching Youtube playthroughs of this game in general.

Be careful not to jump around too much. With practice you'll learn when to jump and when it's safer not to.

It's mostly memorization. Just keep practicing. Trust me, you're at the easy part. Be concerned with getting good enough at the earlier stages so that you have plenty of lives for the later ones. You need as many lives as possible for the last four stages because they are brutal.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

Unfortunately stage 7 is one of the hardest in the game, IMO. Good luck. I recommend mostly ignoring the other cars and just paying attention to the road and not dying. The final stretch will take much practice until you're comfortable with it.

This is where I'm at right now. The end of level 6 wasnt too bad. The end of level 7 however is a different story. Hopefully I beat it soon. Thanks for the tips. I didnt even know about the 1ups!

This is where I'm at right now. The end of level 6 wasnt too bad. The end of level 7 however is a different story. Hopefully I beat it soon. Thanks for the tips. I didnt even know about the 1ups!

Fortunately you get a few relatively easy levels after 7. Levels 8 through 10 aren't that bad at all. 11 is a little tricky. 12 is easy and short.

It's really 13-16 that take the most time to learn as well as mastering the previous levels so that you get there with plenty of lives.

You have to be especially careful not to jump too much in level 13. Keep jumping and you'll land right in front of an obstacle with no time to react.

14 trolls you with an unexpectedly short bridge near the beginning. Otherwise it's not too bad.

15 is straight forward.The main thing is keep to the left because the right path has a very long section that slows you down so that you can't jump and you lose all of your P. At least be on the left before you get to that.

The final stage is not too bad except for a finicky jump right before the final boss. But by the time you reach 16 your skills will have improved immensely.

• Like 1

I haven't had much time to game so far this year, but I found myself sick on the couch recently, so I fired up the Switch and played through an old favorite:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES via the Switch):

SsteXfNl.jpg

This was my first Zelda title back in the day. I went to the store to buy the first one and got confused and brought this home back around 1988 (I was 6 and easily confused, LOL). Beyond all comprehension, I beat the game back then! I have always loved this game, and it ranks among my favorite in the series, despite all the hate it gets. I like to run through it every few years. It's like comfort food. ;-)

2 more games down.

First was King of Fighters 2003. I started using Duolon and he wound up being a good pick for me! I used Duolon, Ash, and Hinako and beat the game first on difficulty 4, then on 8. I died 3 times, but I consider all neo geo games beat if you complete them in under 4 lives since that's how it's set up on the aes. I need to re-play real bout since I died too much but I posted it anyway at the beginning of the year lol.

post-46128-0-70891000-1551068996_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-84357200-1551069008_thumb.jpg

Then I beat S.C.A.T. on NES. This was a very fun shmup that didn't take too long. Only level 4 took some practice. I really liked the way your second shot works with the orbs. They move freely around you and you can stop them with A. It's funny how you are arnold Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver in this game .

post-46128-0-97330200-1551069184_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGamer

• 2 weeks later...

Planet Smashers (Atari 7800)

The main objective of this game is to kill the aliens, defeat seven galaxy bosses and therefore save the Earth.

This game has 2 skill levels: Easy and Hard. In Easy mode, the capsules drop more slowly than they do in Hard skill, enemies move and shoot slowly, and the Warp Capsule colors needed to progress to the next stage are the same every time you play. In Hard mode, enemies are faster to move and shoot, and the Warp Capsule colors needed to progress to the next stage are randomly created every time you play.

At the bottom of the screen, there are game infos which tell the colored Warp Capsules collected in the current wave, number of ships in reserve (which goes automatically to ZERO when the Earth Shield bar reaches zero status - 100% black), how close you are to the galaxy boss (range bar), number of shields and cloaks remaining, and the status of Earth’s protective shields.

There are items to collect during the gameplay:

• W (Weapon): Increases the fire power of your ship’s weapons.
  • S (Shield): Protects your ship from any enemy fire or collision with an alien.
  • C (Cloak): Makes your starship invisible for 20 seconds by hitting right fire button.
  • Warp Capsule: there are 5 colors to change by shooting it: Purple, Green, Yellow, Blue and Red.
  • Extra Ship Capsule: displays the ship symbol and death’s head symbol alternately.
  • Blank Capsule: gives you bonus points - 1000 or more.

Warp color codes for Easy Mode:

• Wave 1: Purple, Green, Yellow
  • Wave 2: Green, Red, Blue
  • Wave 3: Yellow, Blue, Green
  • Wave 4: Blue, Yellow, Red
  • Wave 5: Red, Green, Blue
  • Wave 6: Yellow, Purple, Red
  • Wave 7: Red, Purple, Green

7. Zoids Densetsu (Game Boy)

Though not as unplayable as some have claimed, this side-scrolling mech shmup is still total shovelware. It lets you play as three different robots, but why does it force you to start as the large, awkward one with low HP and no real compensating factors?

Then, if you kill off that character and the next (who's sort of mid-level), you get to play as the third, who has the best HP and weapons and no downside. Plus you get a handful of continues (maybe 5) to let you repeat the process over and over again. The only way it'd make sense if there was some hidden reward for finishing the game with the weakest character, but there isn't. D-.

post-6067-0-89366600-1552344852.jpeg

8. Cave Noire (Game Boy)

On the other hand, this is a well-crafted little roguelike that serves itself up in bite-sized portions. Plus it's got the Konami polish, and a very slick fan translation to boot. The only downside is that the simplicity of the game means it gets a bit one-dimensional after a while; the difficulty curve is also a bit weird, as the highest levels are easier than the two or three before them. A-.

post-6067-0-47057100-1552344812.jpg

9. Dr. Mario (NES)

I've beaten a lot of games in which victory has felt like a matter of patience or memorization, so it's nice to beat one that's touch-and-go until the last second. The Dr. Mario win condition is clearing virus level 20 on Hi speed, and a week or two ago, I didn't see how I'd be pulling that off without a real stroke of luck.

Practicing lower difficulties helped, and today I finally put a winning run together, though only by the skin of my teeth. At the end the game speed was getting so fast that, when I finally got that last double-yellow pill to clear the last two viruses, I wasn't sure that I could get it to the edge of the board in time, even with my own version of hypertapping. But I did, with racing heart and seizing muscles!

post-6067-0-95026200-1552344965.jpg post-6067-0-30635200-1552344785.jpg

Anyway, though it's not quite on the same level as Tetris, I've come to appreciate Dr. Mario. It's addictive, and that's what counts in the puzzle game world. I do wish it would give you qualitative information about the current drop speed, though. A-.

• Like 3

3. Gris (Switch)

This game is short, and melancholy, and goddamn beautiful! It's like the gaming equivalent of hitting up a modern art museum for an afternoon, I highly recommend it.

Interesting to me that everything I've finished so far this year is Nintendo digital titles. I've been playing other things, but not things with endings. *shrugs*

7. Zoids Densetsu (Game Boy)

Though not as unplayable as some have claimed, this side-scrolling mech shmup is still total shovelware. It lets you play as three different robots, but why does it force you to start as the large, awkward one with low HP and no real compensating factors?

Then, if you kill off that character and the next (who's sort of mid-level), you get to play as the third, who has the best HP and weapons and no downside. Plus you get a handful of continues (maybe 5) to let you repeat the process over and over again. The only way it'd make sense if there was some hidden reward for finishing the game with the weakest character, but there isn't. D-.

IMG_6420.jpeg

8. Cave Noire (Game Boy)

On the other hand, this is a well-crafted little roguelike that serves itself up in bite-sized portions. Plus it's got the Konami polish, and a very slick fan translation to boot. The only downside is that the simplicity of the game means it gets a bit one-dimensional after a while; the difficulty curve is also a bit weird, as the highest levels are easier than the two or three before them. A-.

IMG_6429 Cave Noire bravo small.jpg

9. Dr. Mario (NES)

I've beaten a lot of games in which victory has felt like a matter of patience or memorization, so it's nice to beat one that's touch-and-go until the last second. The Dr. Mario win condition is clearing virus level 20 on Hi speed, and a week or two ago, I didn't see how I'd be pulling that off without a real stroke of luck.

Practicing lower difficulties helped, and today I finally put a winning run together, though only by the skin of my teeth. At the end the game speed was getting so fast that, when I finally got that last double-yellow pill to clear the last two viruses, I wasn't sure that I could get it to the edge of the board in time, even with my own version of hypertapping. But I did, with racing heart and seizing muscles!

IMG_6482_crop.jpg IMG_6483_crop.jpg

Anyway, though it's not quite on the same level as Tetris, I've come to appreciate Dr. Mario. It's addictive, and that's what counts in the puzzle game world. I do wish it would give you qualitative information about the current drop speed, though. A-.

Nice job on Dr. Mario. Did you watch the Dr. Mario championship last year?

• Like 1

Nice job on Dr. Mario. Did you watch the Dr. Mario championship last year?

Thank you! I didn't watch it live, but I did watch the YouTube videos that were uploaded months later (as well as the Tetris championship videos, of course).

Either way, if your intuition was that the championship inspired me to beat the game, you're 100% correct. :)

I played through OutRun (Arcade) and actually managed to finish an entire circuit about a month ago.

if I can add Modern Games to this one, I finished the first 'episodes' in a couple of games. Captain Toad 'toadally' counts because I saw the credits. ;)

Ape Out (Switch)

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker (Switch)

10. Lock 'n Chase (Game Boy)

Beat both the basic game and the "EXTRA" levels. I have mixed feelings about the source material, and mixed feelings about this update. Some folks rave about it, but there's something about the AI that gets on my nerves, and the mechanic to open and close doors somehow feels counterintuitive to me.

I don't know, maybe I just don't like maze games that much, especially ones where you're forced into a mostly-defensive posture -- and in this game, getting to counterattack is a fleeting opportunity, rather than a fixed resource as in Pac-Man. C.

11. Wheel of Fortune (Game Boy)

Barely competent, with a brain-dead AI, a painfully slow Vanna substitute, and a habit of locking out the player until the game finishes offering up its truly sad excuse for music. It's still playable, though. D-.

12. Felix the Cat (Game Boy)

Managed to 1LC this game the first time I ever played it -- though I've played the NES version before, which had quite a bit more charm. C-.

13. The Little Mermaid (Game Boy)

Another NES-to-GB port, or simultaneous release, or whatever it is. I didn't find this to be much fun at all. D.

Thank you! I didn't watch it live, but I did watch the YouTube videos that were uploaded months later (as well as the Tetris championship videos, of course).

Either way, if your intuition was that the championship inspired me to beat the game, you're 100% correct. :)

We played it a lot after watching it too!

4. Liar Princess and the Blind Prince (switch)

An adorable little fairytale themed puzzle platformer, reminiscent of Ico. Perhaps a little expensive for the length- you could beat this in 1-2 days without any trouble. You do get some quality extra goodies for the money though, so if you like collector's editions this will do just fine.

For me though, my niece's reaction was the real treat. She's super into storybooks right now. She was over while I was plaything this, wandered by & watched the TV for a minute, then went to walk away just as a cutscene started. Cutscenes in this game play out as a narrator reading pages in a book. As soon as the first page-turn noise happened, she turned around, looked at the screen and proclaimed "STORY!" And proceeded to stay while I read her each page of the cutscene (the narration's in Japanese.) I then paused the game to show her the storybook that came with the game- which she immediately grabbed and declared to be hers. I had to recruit help to distract her later to get it back! I'll have to see about getting a separate copy of the book, or at least something similar.

• Like 1