IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2019!

28. Commando (NES)

Playing this game on real hardware for the first time in maybe 25 years -- or maybe closer to 30 (gulp) -- I noticed two things. One, I'm shocked that my aging reflexes were able to tear through Commando in only 45 minutes, and only continuing a very few times (maybe three).

Second, this game is a blast to play. Sure, it may be a technical mess with sprites flickering and disappearing everywhere, and at times it seems one screen glitch away from a hard crash. But I can't think of any game besides Robotron that manages to get the 360-degree-shooting action formula so right -- and if you're in the mood for depth, you can always look for the game's secrets.

Maybe your character's hitbox flatters the player too much; maybe it's too easy to just charge ahead at all times. But doggone it, there wasn't a single time my guy got iced in Commando that I felt like I had anyone but myself to blame. I think Commando is early Famicom gaming at its finest, weirdest, and most fun. A.

My neighbors had this game back in '87 or thereabouts (and Contra which you recently played). I honestly wasn't that impressed with Super Mario Bros, but Contra and especially Commando were VERY impressive for just being plain fun. We didn't even know about the Konami code for Contra yet.

• Like 1

My neighbors had this game back in '87 or thereabouts (and Contra which you recently played). I honestly wasn't that impressed with Super Mario Bros, but Contra and especially Commando were VERY impressive for just being plain fun. We didn't even know about the Konami code for Contra yet.

I think one thing that makes this port is the generous (or generously small) hitbox, which is sort of ahead of its time. It gives you a gameplay experience that's filled with narrow escapes by a hair's breadth, yet when you do get nailed by an enemy projectile, you feel like you were caught 100% dead to rights and it's not unfair or cheap at all.

The funny thing is that I'm not bothered at all by the constantly-respawning enemies, which are often one of my least-favorite things in video games. Here, though, it works just fine, since it's part and parcel of the game world (one man vs. a giant army) and the stage design isn't set up with careful tactical play in mind -- unlike other similar games, there aren't obstacles where you have to play just so to get past. You're meant to charge ahead.

• Like 1

8. Crystal Crisis (Switch)

Not the greatest achievement- everybody knows it doesn't take long to finish story mode & roll credits in a puzzle game- but I just wanna talk about this oddball piece of gaming weirdness. Let's break this down: this is an updated (& fun!) take on Super Puzzle Fighter. The indie crossover cast includes: Quote, Curly, & Ballos (Cave Story); Issac (Binding of Issac); Solange (Code of Princess), Aban, Tina & Jim (1001 Spikes), Thompson & Zombie (Tempura of the Dead), Umihara Kawase, Astro Boy & Blackjack (Osama Tezuka creations); Johnny Freakin' Turbo (Turbografx 16 mascot), amongst others... and the whole shebang is narrated by Peter Cullen, voice of Optimus Prime.

This is weird as heck and I LOVE IT.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I have a few more games to post!

Star Fox SNES

I actually beat this on the SNES mini while on vacation, but it was my first time beating it. I took the middle path and didnt die until Andros. This game is fun, but I prefer star fox 64.

post-46128-0-15039400-1560444520_thumb.jpg

Wakeboarding Unleashed Ps2

This game is amazing. It's like the lost Tony Hawk game you never knew you needed. It's from Activision so I dont know why it wasnt part of the "pro" series like Matt Hoffman bmx or the horrible Kelly Slater game. Get this game if you dont have it and like Tony hawk pro skater.

post-46128-0-11805600-1560444657_thumb.jpg

Fatal frame ps2

This was such a good game. I know most of us never actually get scared from games or movies, but this game did the best job of making me feel uncomfortable and on edge the while time. The camera ghost fighting stuff was ok, but I really enjoyed exploring and doing puzzles and the story was great too. My game actually froze right as I put the last item in so I had to watch the ending on my phone ?. I took a picture of the frozen screen lol.

post-46128-0-34931200-1560444809_thumb.jpg

Gradius nes

I love shmups so I'm glad to finally have this classic beat. It plays a lot like the side scrolling levels of Life Force and the power ups work the same. I might try to loop this at some point.

post-46128-0-59527700-1560445010_thumb.jpg

Astro Bot PSVR

My first VR game beat! This was so much fun. Its like a 3d Mario game almost where you look over your character and watch him run around the world. You have to find robots and hidden chameleons in each level. Everything was amazing from the music to the boss fights. I actually loved this game so much I got 100%. The only thing I havnt played yet are the mini games.

I unfortunately don't have a screenshot for this one ?.

Sonic Mania Switch

I've had this game sitting around forever and finally decided to play it. I forget what it's called, but I played on a mode where you actually use all 5 characters. Items you get will make you swap out to whoever's next in line. I really liked using tails and the flying squirrel guy. I didnt get the emeralds though and got the bad ending, but I still consider it beat.

Again no screenshot so sorry ??

Home a unique horror adventure Ps4

This game was garbage. It was boring and short and nothing happens. It had a bad story and everything was bad. I sadly have this on Vita too and now I will never open it. I didnt take a picture of the end probably because I turned it off as fast as I could...

Golden Axe 2 Genesis

Amazing game. I have a nice minty copy that's been sitting around waiting to get played so I beat it the other day on hard. It's a classic and one of my favorites from my childhood. I kind of want to play it again already ?.

post-46128-0-66280200-1560445764_thumb.jpg

Vampire Saviour 2 cps2

I finally got my second cabinet up and running with cps2 so I can finally play some of my boards! I used Morrigan and got through the game easily on the standard difficulty. I love how special moves are done in this game. It's very different from the usual street fighter and mortal kombat inputs. I'm very happy to have this board up and running finally. The monitor still has some issues but its ok!

post-46128-0-65913600-1560445971_thumb.jpg

As of now I have beat 36 games and 4 on co op in 2019.

• Like 1

32. The Addams Family (NES)

It's kind of a blur now, but my memory banks are telling me things about "irritatingly obscure puzzles", "sketchy hit detection" and "the Genesis game is much better". I think I should listen to my memory banks. D.

33. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends (NES)

Horrible, but not as bad as Wayne's World. (Glitchier, though.) F.

34. The Goonies II (NES)

Oh, now this is a different tier of game entirely. Sure, I'd fault the password system for its weird characters, the unnecessary necessity of grinding for keys and bombs, the tedium of hammering every room's surfaces, and a couple bottlenecks too cryptic for their own good.

But at heart, the Goonies II 'r' good enough...um, too. B-.

After all these years, I finally stopped Elvin Atombender and completed the Impossible Mission.  I played it on the C64mini and didn't use any save states or trainers.  Knowing what I know now, I never even got close as a kid.  I had to print out a grid the same size and shape of the music puzzle to get it done.  Even then, I still failed a few times.  One thing to note, this is a pretty long game for 1983, and the gametime of an individual game gets much LONGER as you improve.  I was playing almost 3 hour games before I finally won.  Overall it is a fun game, and each of the 3 main elements (music room, platform rooms, jigsaw puzzle) are well done, but all of them get tedious and feel LESS rewarding as you make progress.  The music puzzle is a child's memory game that quickly becomes too difficult for an adult.  At least it mercifully doesn't get any harder once you get to the 12th level.  After that time, solving the puzzle requires putting 14 musical notes in order, and it always rewards the player with a "snooze" if you complete it.  The platform rooms are nice in that they can usually be solved in numerous ways.  However, some of the furniture is very hard to reach and because the robot functions are random, you can occasionally be required to spend multiple snoozes on the same room.  Finally, it is nice that the jigsaw puzzles are difficult, but the fact that you can sometimes assemble 2 or even 3 pieces (out of 4) incorrectly can really send the player down the wrong path in a frustrating way.  My advice is to simply clear ALL of the furniture before really spending much time trying to solve the jigsaw puzzles.  Then start with the pieces that have the highest percentage of color or design on them and just do one set of 4 pieces at a time.

• Like 2

35. Mitsume ga Tooru (NES)

Wildly overrated platformer is no "hidden gem", though its nice presentation and low difficulty will automatically elicit gushing praise from a certain kind of reviewer. Instead, it's yet another one of those games that's too easy and pat, except when it's obnoxiously difficult.

The spear mechanic is poorly utilized, the loss of your weapon upgrades every time you die is overly punitive, and the game lacks "flow", with at least one point where you literally have to stand and wait for 30 seconds before you can progress any further. Yeah, the graphics and sound are nice, but I'd rather have an uglier game that lets me duck or slide. C-.

36. Moon Crystal (NES)

This "Prince of Persia meets Hook" platformer is closer to the "hidden gem" mark, but the laggy controls (typical of anything inspired by PoP) become a huge aggravation in the last couple of levels. And the boss fights are generally poor, since a strategic approach almost always fares worse than pure button-mashing.

Still, thanks to a nice fan translation and decent stage design, there are some rewarding moments here -- like a protagonist who can actually grab onto ledges (Mario, Sonic, take notes). B-.

37. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)

Decided just the other day that I'd make this the next target on my "beating childhood nemeses" list, and to my surprise I beat it on my first try -- no continues used, though I did lose a turtle or two along the way. Shredder, it turns out, is a complete pushover.

It all came back pretty quickly, and -- like a toxic yet lovable family member -- I'm willing to forgive most of its flaws since I know the game so well and we go way back. Plus the music is great.

But how could the designers possibly justify that insane gauntlet of jetpack soldiers at the end? OK, you can kneel to make them go away once you reach the narrow part of the corridor, but none of the patterns I saw online worked for the wider section. And, more to the point, you shouldn't need a pattern to begin with. Too bad, since (Stockholm Syndrome alert) TMNT is otherwise kinda fun. C.

• Like 2

I have been seriously lagging this year on finishing games. I did beat one recently that I really enjoyed.

Broforce (Switch):
cpKStNSl.jpg

8Ft04E5l.jpg

This game is so much fun and I was laughing most of the time at all the ridiculous over-the-top insanity. If you are not familiar with it, imagine just about every 80's-00's action hero in one game where you blow up EVERYTHING, like a mix between Contra, Metal Slug, and maybe Dig Dug since you can tunnel through the levels to reach other areas. Rambo, about 5 different Arnolds, Robocop, Ellen Ripley, Indiana Jones, MacGyver, John Mclaine and so many more are in this game (with "Bro" somewhere in their name). All of them play slightly different, and it's so much damn fun. This is a game I've been waiting for someone to make since I was a kid, and it did not disappoint. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Another modern game, but I just finished Cadence of Hyrule.   It's a short game and not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed playing it.

I will admit I cheesed the end by turning off the rhythm-based aspect.  ;)  I'll try not to on my next playthrough.

20190630_081240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

38. Peter Pan & the Pirates (NES)

When people talk about "worst game ever" they really need to be sure they've played games like this one. It's less obviously broken than the likes of Wayne's World and Rocky & Bullwinkle, but with self-recycling stage design and mangled gameplay, Peter Pan & the Pirates is very much in their league. F.

39. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (NES)

Not as bad as the above, because there's an actual game here with some signs of TLC. But if you're going to have "cute" puzzles that bring the gameplay to a screeching halt, you'd better make them intelligible, make the environment behave consistently -- and offer up a few continues, you little creep! D.

40. Chess (Air Canada enRoute)

Beat the Air Canada in-flight entertainment system's chess game with the Black pieces on the highest difficulty. It was far too easy, but then again I'd rather see its CPU err on the side of low energy consumption. n/a

I guess I'll join in. 

Golden Axe Warrior (SMS)

goldenaxewarrior_end.jpg

Great Zelda-like. I completed this one back in January and I really enjoyed it.

Seiken Densetsu 3  (SNES)

sd3_end.jpg

Amazing. When I first started it, I didn't think I was going to like it as much as Secret of Mana. That changed around the time of the ghost ship. Once the map started opening up, it became even better. I can honestly say that this is now my favorite SNES game of all time. Surprising, since the games it beat it out all have the nostalgia advantage. It has a few issues here and there, but it still comes out on top for me. This was one of the top 3 games on my bucket list to play and finish and it was great to finally experience it.

Dungeon Explorer  (TG16)

My neighbor had this when we were kids. Fun little Gauntlet-style game. Nice graphics and really good music. I completed the CD sequel back then, but never the original. It's pretty fun, but it gets old after a while, especially if you play it single player.

Shape Shifter  (TurboCD) built-in cheat used

shapeshifter_end.jpg

Another game my neighbor had that we never finished. You play as a guy that can change into different creatures. I liked it back in the day, but we didn't get too far and now I know why after my recent playthrough. The game has a save system, but you have limited lives with no way to get more and you can only save at the town you start out in. The platforming is pretty finicky, especially with the panther form and there are quite a few cheap deaths and hit detection issues. Although the game is short there are some single screens that can easily wipe out all of your lives. The final bosses are extremely tedious and I unfortunately had to resort to using the unlimited lives cheat to complete it. 

shapeshifter1.jpgshapeshifter2.jpgshapeshifter3.jpg

That said, I do like the graphics and the music is pretty decent. The game has some charm to it. I think the jungle/cat-god/shark segment was probably my favorite part. It started going downhill after that.

Edited by Ramses

All played on the Global Eagle in-flight entertainment system (which I think runs on Android):

41. Solitaire Classic
42. World Wise
43. Sudoku Classic
44. Pic-Fix

Beat three-card draw on Solitaire Classic, got a perfect score on the silly World Wise global trivia game, solved a puzzle on the hardest difficulty in Sudoku Classic, and solved all puzzles in the sliding puzzle game Pic-Fix and set a record time of under 30 seconds.

All silly stuff, but 'twas a reasonable distraction from turbulence and crying babies. Grade is n/a, obviously, because who rates an IFE game?

On 7/14/2019 at 11:41 PM, Ramses said:

I guess I'll join in. 

Golden Axe Warrior (SMS)

goldenaxewarrior_end.jpg

Great Zelda-like. I completed this one back in January and I really enjoyed it.

Seiken Densetsu 3  (SNES)

sd3_end.jpg

Amazing. When I first started it, I didn't think I was going to like it as much as Secret of Mana. That changed around the time of the ghost ship. Once the map started opening up, it became even better. I can honestly say that this is now my favorite SNES game of all time. Surprising, since the games it beat it out all have the nostalgia advantage. It has a few issues here and there, but it still comes out on top for me. This was one of the top 3 games on my bucket list to play and finish and it was great to finally experience it.

Dungeon Explorer  (TG16)

My neighbor had this when we were kids. Fun little Gauntlet-style game. Nice graphics and really good music. I completed the CD sequel back then, but never the original. It's pretty fun, but it gets old after a while, especially if you play it single player.

Shape Shifter  (TurboCD) built-in cheat used

shapeshifter_end.jpg

Another game my neighbor had that we never finished. You play as a guy that can change into different creatures. I liked it back in the day, but we didn't get too far and now I know why after my recent playthrough. The game has a save system, but you have limited lives with no way to get more and you can only save at the town you start out in. The platforming is pretty finicky, especially with the panther form and there are quite a few cheap deaths and hit detection issues. Although the game is short there are some single screens that can easily wipe out all of your lives. The final bosses are extremely tedious and I unfortunately had to resort to using the unlimited lives cheat to complete it. 

shapeshifter1.jpgshapeshifter2.jpgshapeshifter3.jpg

That said, I do like the graphics and the music is pretty decent. The game has some charm to it. I think the jungle/cat-god/shark segment was probably my favorite part. It started going downhill after that.

If you like the Dungeon Explorer games check out Crystal Beans on Super Famicom. It wasn't released outside of Japan but there is an English translation available.

Ys I, II, and III. I bought the latest Ys game for the PS4 on sale, never having gotten around to playing the older ones, so I decided to start from the beginning. Book 1 is more of a prologue while Book 2 is a full game, which I suppose is why the are together. I am currently working my way through the fan translation of Ys IV, the dawn of Ys.

• Like 1

9. Blazing Star (Neo Geo Mini)

POWER UP! BONUS! BONUS! POWER UP! BONUS!

Sometimes our games are profound experiences, opening avenues to reflect on the human condition and our place in the world. And sometimes they're badly translated excuses to pew-pew your way through a field of colored dots & robots. I like both. ? (Although the snarky commentary every time I died got a lil' stale...)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:35 AM, HoshiChiri said:

9. Blazing Star (Neo Geo Mini)

POWER UP! BONUS! BONUS! POWER UP! BONUS!

Sometimes our games are profound experiences, opening avenues to reflect on the human condition and our place in the world. And sometimes they're badly translated excuses to pew-pew your way through a field of colored dots & robots. I like both. ? (Although the snarky commentary every time I died got a lil' stale...)

Blazing Star is one of my favorite Neo Geo games. Its just so damn good. The engrish is absolutely hilarious on it too. I love it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

smattering of classic and modern games for the last couple months :)

Classic:

Doom (PC)

Outrun (Arcade) -- i played through and finished all the different 'endings'.  :)

Virtua Racing (Arcade) -- i played through and placed 1st on the 3 different tracks.

Street Fighter Alpha (Arcade) -- though on this one, i beat it at least once or twice a week on different characters, lol.

Super Mario Bros 2 (NES) -- I like this one because it's the 'strange' one of the Mario games.

Modern:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) -- I've gotten a couple of the endings.  Trying to do it with just Zangetsu but not having a ton of luck.

Gato Roboto (Switch) -- decent enough Metroid clone, but crazy short.  You're a cat in a Samus suit. 

Borderlands 2 (XBox One) -- for like the billionth time, lol.  I also played through the latest DLC.

Borderlands GOTY (XBox One)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapped up another one...

Steamworld Dig (Switch):

mM6zEFsl.jpg

MBDmufwl.jpg

This one was short but sweet. I clocked in at just under 5hrs of play time, and I was taking my time with it. It's like a mix between Boulder Dash, Metroid, and Borderlands. It's a lot of fun, and highly recommended (and addictive). After I finish Ritual of the Night and Hollow Knight, I'll pick up the sequel, which I've heard is even better.