IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2019!

12 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I beat Super Mario World the other day for the first time. I was surprised at just how easy and short it was. There was plenty of secret stuff I missed though.

It's very long to 100%... so far I am at around 95-97% complete as I just have a few levels before Bowser's Castle. But I've gotten all of the secrets and completed Star Road. I don't think I've gotten all of the dragon coins though, but I don't remember if that's tracked in the % completed or not. And then I'd really want to get into some SMW rom hacks (I've tried some Second Reality Project, but that's it so far).

3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

It's very long to 100%... so far I am at around 95-97% complete as I just have a few levels before Bowser's Castle. But I've gotten all of the secrets and completed Star Road. I don't think I've gotten all of the dragon coins though, but I don't remember if that's tracked in the % completed or not. And then I'd really want to get into some SMW rom hacks (I've tried some Second Reality Project, but that's it so far).

It's been forever since I've played, but I was thinking that the game itself only tracks the number of stages completed- 96, right?

The Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle was on sale last week on the Switch, so I snagged it and ran through a few of the titles. It's sorta cheating, since the games are set up for Free Play, but I still had fun with them.

Captain Commando (Switch):
w0QHXDBl.jpg

I've played this one a few times before, but I never bothered to finish it. It's a ton of fun! The characters are really great in this one, and I especially had fun with the ninja Ginzu.

King of Dragons (Switch):

El9p0dDl.jpg

Like Captain Commando, I've played this one in the past but never ran all the way through it. It's basically a cross between magic Sword and Golden Axe, but with RPG elements. You level up and get better weapons as you progress, and each of the character classes has their own strength and weaknesses. There are not nearly enough games like this! The only other two that come to mind right now are Guardian Heroes and Dragon's Crown, which reminds me, I should play more Dragon's Crown.

I also ran through Final Fight, but I do that on a regular basis, so I didn't bother to take pics. I will say that Capcom did a great job with the emulation, and they added some cool artwork and extras for each game. They should think about re-releasing their Classics Collection compilations, as it would be perfect for the Switch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silverfleet said:

The Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle was on sale last week on the Switch, so I snagged it and ran through a few of the titles. It's sorta cheating, since the games are set up for Free Play, but I still had fun with them.

Captain Commando (Switch):
w0QHXDBl.jpg

I've played this one a few times before, but I never bothered to finish it. It's a ton of fun! The characters are really great in this one, and I especially had fun with the ninja Ginzu.

King of Dragons (Switch):

El9p0dDl.jpg

Like Captain Commando, I've played this one in the past but never ran all the way through it. It's basically a cross between magic Sword and Golden Axe, but with RPG elements. You level up and get better weapons as you progress, and each of the character classes has their own strength and weaknesses. There are not nearly enough games like this! The only other two that come to mind right now are Guardian Heroes and Dragon's Crown, which reminds me, I should play more Dragon's Crown.

I also ran through Final Fight, but I do that on a regular basis, so I didn't bother to take pics. I will say that Capcom did a great job with the emulation, and they added some cool artwork and extras for each game. They should think about re-releasing their Classics Collection compilations, as it would be perfect for the Switch.

That's cool you picked up the collection! :)  My faves are Final Fight (which I play all the time) and Battle Circuit.  My wife has played co-op with me on Final Fight and Knights of the Round, but Battle Circuit was too weird for her, she said.

45. Circus Caper (NES)

Like I said in 2014, the essence of mediocrity -- which is sort of a shame, since actually there are some cool ideas lurking in the game. This time I didn't use the left-side exploit, and was still unimpressed. Still, I'll bump this one up to a C-.

46. Felix the Cat (Dragon Co.) (NES)

Pirate jank that looks like the Hudson release, but certainly doesn't play like it. Still, as pirate jank goes, it could be much worse. D.

47. Hydlide (NES)

...and like I said in 2015, I don't have a problem with Hydlide, because I don't expect it to be Zelda or Ys. C+.

48. Marvel's X-Men (NES)

...and like I said in 2014! This time around, a sadistic enemy placement in Magneto's level was really bothersome. D-.

• 1 month later...

49. Mega Man 5 (NES)

50. Mega Man (NES)

51. Mega Man 2 (NES)

52. Mega Man 6 (NES)

53. Mega Man 3 (NES)

54. Mega Man 4 (NES)

55. Mega Man 7 (SNES)

All played via the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GameCube, along with a Raphnet adapter that lets me use an SNES controller with corrected button mappings. I'd played and beaten them all before, except Mega Man 7.

The games all blend together so I'm not going to grade them, but what was surprising to me is how much I preferred the original to pretty much all of the sequels -- even the vaunted Mega Man 2, which has some irritating bottlenecks with the Rush Jet. I love the simplicity and the straightforwardness of the original game, and the lack of tedious item collecting, inventory management, and energy-refill grinding.

Mega Man 3 was more threadbare than I recalled, with some questionable stage design choices. The second-best of the games was probably Mega Man 5 or 6. And I didn't find Mega Man 7 to be too much fun at all, sadly -- it's got way too much "stop and wait" stage design for my taste.

Maybe I'm just burned out on Mega Man, I don't know. I still have Mega Man 8, and the two arcade games, left to beat on the collection. Not feeling too optimistic about those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

56. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (GameCube)

Beaten with my wife on Easy, then Hard. Despite many problems -- multiple crippling bugs, wildly overlong levels, near-zero difficulty, and stage ordering that makes no sense -- this was an entertaining enough way to pass the time, and adds a couple of decent quality-of-life innovations. Still, Gauntlet Legends was a far better game. C.

57. Tetris 2 (NES)

Beaten on Lo speed earlier this year, then Hi speed over the weekend. I wanted a narcotic, calming game, and Tetris 2 is that. But it's no worthy successor to the first game, and the color-matching gameplay is better served by any number of other titles. Cute cutscenes every 10 levels, but why on earth do I have to play through 51 of them (Level 30 > Level 80) to get an ending? D+.

58. Mega Man: The Power Battle (Arcade)
59. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (Arcade)

Played via the GameCube MMAC, obviously, and completed the 3 paths in each game with anywhere from 1CC to 4CC.

I think I played one of these games in emulation a long time ago and was intrigued. Now, I'm not. I've never liked the infantilized version of Mega Man to begin with, and while the idea of a series of Mega Man boss battles is a good one, the gameplay is just too shallow and usually boils down to "hit Robot Master with a certain weapon once, switch to Mega Buster for the rest".

I'd give the first game a D+ and the second a C-, though if you care about Mega Man lore (I don't), the second does apparently contribute to it.

• Like 1

11. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)

12. Untitled Goose Game (Switch)

13. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)

Ooo, my first multipost! Anyway- all of these fall under 'finished' but not 'completed', as they all have plenty of post-credit content to find. I imagine Iceborne post game will close out my year.

Looking over my previous posts- good golly have I been on an indie/switch kick this year! It's not like I haven't played other things- I got to boss 6 (I think) in Govellius & the final stage in Sengoku 3 on the Neo Geo mini... but, I ended up getting stuck, & with my limited playtime, stuck games get shelved fairly quick. I'll have to try & prioritize some retro next year, though!

60. Mega Man 8 (PlayStation)

Despite the infantile aesthetics and hilariously bad voice acting, I think I liked Mega Man 8 a bit more than Mega Man 7. It's more varied, at least, and more forgiving, and I think the "bolt" concept for item-building is better implemented -- though it doesn't do a great job of making it clear why and when certain bolts aren't accessible.

But when my game crashed at the final battle with Dr. Wily, and I restarted only to discover that I was back at the beginning of all four Dr. Wily stages, I felt myself wondering what on earth all those save screens were for, and why I'd had to wait through them. And why do MM7 and MM8 both refuse to display the names of the Robot Masters on the selection screen? C-.

61. Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GameCube)

By beating #60, emulated via the MMAC, I beat #61 since it was the last remaining game in the collection I hadn't completed.

Since I played with a Raphnet SNES > GC adapter the biggest flaw in the collection -- the reversal of the jump and attack buttons -- was obviated, but I'm still annoyed by the cumbersome interface (run 7-8 seconds to the right to select a game!) and somewhat messed-up sound. Still, it's a decent compilation. B-.

• 2 weeks later...

62. Looney Tunes: Back in Action (GameCube)

If collectathons are going to insist that you get every item (or most of them, anyway) in order to complete the game, they need to have some sort of radar system to point you to the general vicinity of said items. This one doesn't, and relies too much on triggered events for this style of gameplay to work well: a character you need to meet at a certain location is present in one scenario, absent in another, for no apparent reason. Could be worse, but should have been better. D+.

63. Navy SEALs (Game Boy)

Despite a plethora of minor irritations -- can't jump and shoot, all enemies take 2 hits -- and a total lack of bells-and-whistles, this ZX Spectrum port is tight, challenging, and fair. Not psyched about the one stage exit that requires a leap of faith, though. B-.

64. Toys (SNES)

Beaten for the umpteenth time, no need to grade it.

65. Yogi Bear's Gold Rush (Game Boy)

...and speaking of leaps of faith and collectathons! This one-button platformer (you can't attack or run, only jump) is generally quite easy, so it decides to add challenge by requiring you to find 12 bonus items along the way to get a good ending. Problem is, there are more than 12 stages, so you can't be sure if you've missed one until it's too late and your entire run is wasted, since the game has no passwords.

Making matters worse, several of the bonus items are hidden in such a way to require leaps of faith, i.e. into a pit or into water, with no way to look down. Worst of all, one requires you to walk through a wall of spikes, and then cross a series of invisible platforms, with no visible cues to suggest the idea. Look, if you want me to deal with stuff like this, then block me if I don't collect the all-important item and make me replay the stage!

Other miscues: the game has picnic baskets everywhere but you get nothing but points for collecting them, making the whole thing pointless; the collision detection is occasionally questionable, and I fell through a moving platform at least once; the bonus rooms are nothing but busywork; the text crawl in the ending credits shows one word at a time for some reason. On the plus side, it's got decent stage design (except for the too-secret secrets) and controls. C-.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

14. Drakengard 3... sort of (PS3)

I was really enjoying this game- it's a lil' janky, but the crazy plot is great & the vulgarity is so jarring compared to my normal fare.

And then I went to play the final branch... and found out about the weapon requirement. All the goodwill built up to that point was eroded way in a farming slog. When I found out the last one required beating an annoying challenge mission, I gave up out of frustration.

Since my only requirement for 'beating' a game is to roll the credits, and I've done that multiple times now, I'm counting it. Perhaps a few months from now, when the annoyance has faded, I'll give it beating it properly another go.

15. River City Girls (Switch)

This is a wonderful addition to the world of retro side-scrolling beat 'em ups. It's fun, it's colorful, the music is great, the presentation is top-notch. The voice acting is solid, and if you follow YouTube gaming culture, there's probably some familiar voices in there. the only downer is the ending- I can't quite decide if it was less satisfying than El Shaddai, but it's definitely top two. Luckily, this isn't exactly a genre known for its gripping storylines. If the likes of Streets of Rage & Double Dragon are your jam, you can't go wrong with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

66. Donald Duck no Mahou no Boushi (Donald Duck and the Magical Hat) (SNES)

There's not all that much to this nice-looking, nice-sounding, well-made little diversion, and it's never quite as good as it could have been (see: World of Illusion), but it does pull a nice bait-and-switch: it tricks you into thinking it'll be some sort of sad little minigame collection, only to reveal that it's actually a platformer. C+.

67. Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death (SNES)

I quite like the aesthetics of this homebrew effort, and its heart is in the right place, but my initial enjoyment was soon sabotaged by issues that should have been addressed in playtesting. These range from the trivial but annoying (why doesn't the cursor wrap in the password screen?), to the troubling but inconsequential (graphical glitches), to the ruinously misguided (the joyless vertically-scrolling lava stages). D+.

68. The Adventures of Rad Gravity (NES)

How on earth did I beat this when I was a kid? With lots of calls to the Nintendo counselors, I suppose. Once again I like the chin-centric aesthetics, but man, does this game have one too many obscure things to figure out. And if you want players to explore and try things out, they need better platforming controls and an environment that isn't loaded with one-hit kills. Color Dreams' Captain Comic, with all its wrong notes (literally), is a similar but better game. C-.

Last week I beat Shadows of the Empire on PC. I did it in one day and had a good time with this one. The sound track is perfect and I love the simple clean low polygon graphics. My only gripe is the controls are pretty bad. If you use a gamepad then you have to use both the keyboard and controller at the same time. Who the heck thought that up? If you want to aim up or down then you have to hold the "V" key with one finger and then look around with your thumb on the joystick. Absolutely ridiculous control scheme!

I did an absolutely rubbish job of updating my games beaten list in the thread this year, though I did keep track of all of the games I completed in a text document on my computer so I figure I might as well share my year end games beaten list. I don't think I'm going to be finishing any more this year, so this should be all for me this year: 

Jin's Games Beaten In 2019

1. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Sega Genesis)

2. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)

3. Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis)

4. The Ultimate Doom (PC-DOS)

5. Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis) 

6. Samurai Shodown (Sega Genesis)

7. Raiden Trad (Sega Genesis)

8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

9. DOOM (Nintendo Switch)

10. Sonic Mania Plus (Nintendo Switch)

11. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Nintendo Switch)

12. Night in the Woods (Nintendo Switch)

13. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)

14. Dust: An Elysian Tail (Nintendo Switch)

15. Alien 3 (Sega Genesis)

16. Mechanized Attack (NES)

17. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

18. Solar Striker (Game Boy)

19. Mortal Kombat II (Sega Genesis)

20. Tanglewood (Sega Genesis)

21. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)

22. Mortal Kombat 3 (Sega Genesis)

23. Metroid Fusion (Game Boy Advance)

24. OutRun (Sega Genesis)

25. Virtua Fighter (Sega 32X)

26. Fe (Nintendo Switch)

27. Doom (Sega 32X)

28. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Game Gear)

29. Metroid: Zero Mission (Game Boy Advance)

30. Castlevania (NES)

31. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Game Boy Advance)

32. Sonic CD (Sega CD)

33. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Nintendo Switch)

34. Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

35. Outlast: Bundle of Terror (Nintendo Switch)

36. Darkwood (Nintendo Switch)

37. Fox n Forests (Nintendo Switch)

38. Raiden V: Director's Cut (Nintendo Switch)

39. Doom 3 (Nintendo Switch)

40. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

41. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)

42. Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

43. Doom (Nintendo Switch)

44. Doom II (Nintendo Switch)

45. Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis) 

46. Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition (Sega Genesis)

47. Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude! (Sega Genesis)

48. Super Castlevania IV (Super Nintendo)

49. Star Fox (Super Nintendo)

50. Star Fox 2 (Super Nintendo)

51. Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sega Genesis)

52. New Super Lucky's Tale (Nintendo Switch)

53. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Sega Genesis)

54. Ms. Pac-Man (Sega Genesis)

And just for the heck of it, here's my other half's list of games beaten this year :)

Mrs. Jin's Games Beaten In 2019

1. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Sega Genesis)

2. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)

3. Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis)

4. Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis)

5. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation)

6. Night in the Woods (Nintendo Switch)

7. Sonic Mania Plus (Nintendo Switch)

8. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) 

9. Alien 3 (Sega Genesis)

10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

11. Sonic Advance (Game Boy Advance)

12. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)

13. OutRun (Sega Genesis)

14. Panorama Cotton (Sega Genesis)

15. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance)

16. Sonic CD (Sega CD)

17. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)

18. Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

19. Raiden V: Director's Cut (Nintendo Switch)

20. Adventure (Atari 2600)

21. Dungeon (Atari 2600)

22. Doom (PlayStation)

23. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

24. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)

25. Altered Beast (Sega Genesis)

26. Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

27. Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition (Sega Genesis)

28. Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude! (Sega Genesis)

29. Super Castlevania IV (Super Nintendo)

30. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Nintendo Switch)

• Like 1

Apparently I'm not done just yet! :lol:

55. Desert Demolition (Sega Genesis)

I've had this one in my backlog for a month or so and decided to sit down and play it tonight. The only Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner game I had played before this was Road Runner on the Atari 2600, and it really amazed me how accurate Desert Demolition on the Genesis was to the cartoon. The sound effects and music are all spot on and the animation style is surprisingly fluid and cartoon accurate for 16-bit hardware. It's a fairly challenging but short game, clocking in at just over an hour to beat on my first attempt playing as Wile E. Coyote, but it was a ton of fun and I'll definitely be coming back to play it again next year. :)

• Like 1