IGNORED

ChaoticGrill (Atari 2600)

splendidnut

Already downloaded the latest update from January 8. It is an AWESOME take on Burgertime, certainly better than M-Network's version for sure!!! I have saved this thread in my "Atari Forums Sites" folder. I played it and then compared your version vs. the original M=Network version and found this one to be far superior. As for the flickering, we longtime Atarians have known for decades that the 2600 can have only 4 objects moving in different directions at the same time without flickering, but I can deal with that, I guess the original Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man from 1981 taught me that decades ago.

This one (and Pac-Man 4K and Pac-Man Arcade, both available from AtariAge, along with the brilliant 2600 redos of Tempest, and the great Yars' Revenge) are definitely reasons for me to just ditch the VCS adapter for my 5200, and just get a 2600 Jr. (preferably the short rainbow version, provided the silver bezel is in top shape) again, and have it a/v-modded but that leaves question of whether or not to keep my 5200 as it has its own great games (I have TONS of great titles on both my Atarimax 5200 multicart and my Harmony Encore 2600 multicart).

BTW, I know you named it (and the title screen gives it away) "Chaotic Grill!" but I changed it on my SD card to "Burgertime Arcade" because of how arcade-like (for a 2600) it looks (and plays!)! Much better than M-Network's OG version.

• Like 1

Already downloaded the latest update from January 8. It is an AWESOME take on Burgertime, certainly better than M-Network's version for sure!!! I have saved this thread in my "Atari Forums Sites" folder. I played it and then compared your version vs. the original M=Network version and found this one to be far superior. As for the flickering, we longtime Atarians have known for decades that the 2600 can have only 4 objects moving in different directions at the same time without flickering, but I can deal with that, I guess the original Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man from 1981 taught me that decades ago.

Thanks. I'll be improving the flicker management (finishing the flicker management code I have in progress) at some point in the future... I'm holding off for now, to focus on game play issues.

• Like 2

This one (and Pac-Man 4K and Pac-Man Arcade, both available from AtariAge, along with the brilliant 2600 redos of Tempest, and the great Yars' Revenge) are definitely reasons for me to just ditch the VCS adapter for my 5200, and just get a 2600 Jr. (preferably the short rainbow version, provided the silver bezel is in top shape) again, and have it a/v-modded but that leaves question of whether or not to keep my 5200 as it has its own great games (I have TONS of great titles on both my Atarimax 5200 multicart and my Harmony Encore 2600 multicart).

BTW, I know you named it (and the title screen gives it away) "Chaotic Grill!" but I changed it on my SD card to "Burgertime Arcade" because of how arcade-like (for a 2600) it looks (and plays!)! Much better than M-Network's OG version.

I just downloaded the update from today. it's getting better and better every time, Definitely a keeper for a WIP project, but I will be downloading the updated versions as they are available.

• Like 1

No more crashing or frozen enemies in this newest update! I was able to loop the 6 levels twice without any game stoppage.

I only noticed 2 bugs/issues.

1) only in level 3 - the enemies with scroll and climb where there's no ladders and will, at times, even climb into the sky and off the screen (coming back up from the bottom). This doesn't happen on any other levels.

2) something is weird with the score above a certain point. The numbers started turning into letters, first with A and then with B and then they were alternating between A and B? I've never seen this before, but I've also never played it this long before losing or crashing.

Other than that, it played really really well and you should be very proud. It's an amazing accomplishment and I love this game!

post-48679-0-55429000-1548031985_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There are no words to express the deep and disturbing love I have for what you have done here. This is amazing. I've been playing this for far longer than I should have today and I'm pretty sure it will consume many more hours of my free time as well. Thank you. This is impressive.

• Like 3

No more crashing or frozen enemies in this newest update! I was able to loop the 6 levels twice without any game stoppage.

I only noticed 2 bugs/issues.

1) only in level 3 - the enemies with scroll and climb where there's no ladders and will, at times, even climb into the sky and off the screen (coming back up from the bottom). This doesn't happen on any other levels.

2) something is weird with the score above a certain point. The numbers started turning into letters, first with A and then with B and then they were alternating between A and B? I've never seen this before, but I've also never played it this long before losing or crashing.

Other than that, it played really really well and you should be very proud. It's an amazing accomplishment and I love this game!

Thanks!

Remaining enemy issue will be looked at, a few other people have noticed that as well (in the development thread).

I fixed the score issue (was using INC instead of LDA,ADC,STA for BCD arithmetic), so that will be in the next build.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A long over due update... see first post for download.  Uh oh, looks like I'm unable to add download to first post, so I've attached below

Developement details (and downloads) here:

chaoticGrill-2019-07-05--PAL60.bin chaoticGrill-2019-07-05--NTSC.bin

Edited by splendidnut
Unable to update first post, so added downloads here
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, splendidnut said:

A long over due update... see first post for download.  Uh oh, looks like I'm unable to add download to first post, so I've attached below

Looks like I missed adding the Homebrew Discussion forum to the list of forums where authors can indefinitely edit their posts.  I have now fixed this, so you should now be able to edit the first post in this thread.  Sorry about that.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Albert said:

Looks like I missed adding the Homebrew Discussion forum to the list of forums where authors can indefinitely edit their posts.  I have now fixed this, so you should now be able to edit the first post in this thread.  Sorry about that.

..Al

Thanks Al!

First post edited to include new version.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...