IGNORED

Lost Classics for the Atari 2600

classicgamer74

Happy New Year, everyone! In my latest episode, I discuss some games that I thought are great, but were ignored, mostly thanks to the slew of really bad games that were available back then. And also because of the crash. There are a lot more that I didn't put on this episode, maybe a followup? But these are some that I considered classics. Any feedback? What are some games that you think should be included in a followup episode?

Thanks for viewing and for subscribing. Please do, if you haven't already.

• Like 4

Oh Spectravideo. They make me feel kind of sad. Sad at what could have been. They had some interesting titles and beautiful packaging. I like the packaging anyway but they are so let down by poor execution. Master Builder is a perfect example of a great game idea poorly executed. It could have been so much better. In fact I would love to see a homebrewer take the concept and do it properly. If only Spectravideo games had been the quality of Imagic and Activision. They wouldn't be as rare as they are for one thing.

• Like 1

Totally agree. How do you think Master Builder could be improved?

I've not actually played it but watched a couple of gameplay videos and neither I or the people playing the game were impressed. It seems mainly that there's too much repetition and not enough going on. Those are the 2 problems that need to be fixed. Instead of always climbing up and down the same ladder and having to get bricks from the bottom all the time, there should be scaffolding and a number of smaller ladders dotted about to give it more of a platformer look. Piles of bricks can be on different levels so you don't always have to travel back to the bottom. When you're building the bottom level, there can be more traffic to avoid instead of just an occasional dog. Mid to high levels, birds to avoid. Higher levels, actual lightning strikes to avoid too. Maybe the lightening could also cause fires that you have to put out. There were flashes in the sky on the game but I could not see how it affected gameplay in any way. You could also have occasional falling rivets to avoid and thieves to chase off who steal your bricks.

• Like 1

Another great video. :thumbsup: Love Andy and Elmer. I can't quite place him, but Elmer seems to remind me of someone. :-D

Bumper Bash is one of my favorites. Really like that it utilizes the paddle controllers. There could never be enough paddle games IMO.

• Like 2

I found it unplayable with a joystick after a few rounds. Have you tried my trackball hack?

I should've put Nexar at the end of my list, it's the least playable from those five I like. Way back though, played the hell out of it.

I've seen those Trak-Ball hacks on AA, interesting....I might get some of those.

But first, I gotta get Mappy

• Like 1