IGNORED

Tumble Temple (Atari 2600)

bluswimmer

I love this game! The core gameplay is very fun and original, and the graphics / sounds are cool too.

Congrats, it's a very impressive "first" original game!

After playing it for quite some time, here a few ideas/suggestions that may interest you:

- I find the game to "slow" on the lowest difficulty levels, as you have to wait a lot between each block falling. It really gets more fun IMHO at level 3. Maybe you should make it the default difficulty? (so the game will start in "normal difficulty" instead of "easiest difficulty" by default)

- Maybe you should display the current highscore on the title screen, so that we know whether we beat the highscore or not.

- I love you how can adjust the jump height by pressing the button longer - it feels very "smooth" and natural while playing

- Regarding the long term goal of the game: is there a way to "win"? (clearing all the block leads to game over as we fall into lava)

- I'm still unsure about what really triggers the "blocks rise" (it seems to be the coin / ring).

- Last but not least, an odd idea: did you try to modify the gameplay so that the floor don't fall down, but slowly rise up? As hitting the ceiling kills you, and hitting the bottom kills you too, if you make this change, I think it could be a fun "extra mode", especially when played at speed 3-4.

Anyway, I'm eager to see an eventual new version, or maybe a cart release! :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely add the high score suggestion. As for the "rising up" idea, that's actually a pretty good idea. The ceiling killing you is actually an unintentional oversight due to integer overflow, though the rising blocks would still be tricky in that case, since you'll have less time to react to the blocks.

And yes, the coin does in fact trigger the blocks rising.

Edited by bluswimmer

Yeah, I'm coming in a bit late to this, but am loving every second of it. Great little action game. The coins are a great addition. Are you keeping the ceiling kill feature? If so could the play field have spikes or something up there to warn the player of impending doom. I like the idea, though, because it requires you to keep the tower right in the middle. Sandy death below, spiky death above, gotta keep it just right!

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm coming in a bit late to this, but am loving every second of it. Great little action game. The coins are a great addition. Are you keeping the ceiling kill feature? If so could the play field have spikes or something up there to warn the player of impending doom. I like the idea, though, because it requires you to keep the tower right in the middle. Sandy death below, spiky death above, gotta keep it just right!

The ceiling kill was actually an unintended side effect of the fact that you died when you went below the quicksand (integer overflow). It's been removed in the most recent version, though stacking the blocks up really high is still dangerous since the blocks come down faster and you have less time to react. Granted, it's still possible to crush yourself against the ceiling if you manage to get a coin near the very top...

Edited by bluswimmer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, apologies for the lack of updates as of late. I've just gone back to college for my next semester and I've been a little busy.

Anyways, version 2.5 is out, which fixes a bug that sometimes caused a block to "jump" to the bottom of the screen once it touched the quicksand. Additionally, a PAL60 version is now available.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

We'll be playing Tumble Temple LIVE on TOMORROW's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11PM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Steam Tunnel Bob (2008 WIP) by John K Harvey aka Propane13
- Pressure Gauge (2000) by John K Harvey aka Propane13
- Pressure Gauge II (2000 WIP) by John K Harvey aka Propane13
- Tumble Temple (2019 WIP Update) by bluswimmer
- Ninjish Guy in Low Res World (2020 WIP) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be playing Tumble Temple LIVE on TOMORROW's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11PM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Wow, can't believe I completely missed this one...

I'm sure some people are wondering what the heck happened since the last update, but to be perfectly blunt I can't help but feel a little disillusioned looking back at this game. I feel like I made the primary mechanic a little too esoteric, and the difficulty curve is really bad. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and try to fix some of these problems, since I'd rather explore new ideas at the moment... if nothing else, it served as a valuable experience in game design.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bluswimmer said:

Wow, can't believe I completely missed this one...

I'm sure some people are wondering what the heck happened since the last update, but to be perfectly blunt I can't help but feel a little disillusioned looking back at this game. I feel like I made the primary mechanic a little too esoteric, and the difficulty curve is really bad. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and try to fix some of these problems, since I'd rather explore new ideas at the moment... if nothing else, it served as a valuable experience in game design.

We had a great time playing it today and hope that you return to fix any issues you feel are present. It feels like a complete and finished game to me and we didn't find any bugs or issues. ? There were some interesting suggestions from the chat if you have a chance to check out the stream when it gets posted on YouTube tomorrow.

- James

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluswimmer said:

I'm not sure if I'll ever go back and try to fix some of these problems, since I'd rather explore new ideas at the moment... if nothing else, it served as a valuable experience in game design.

Oh no! :sad: IMO there are no major problems, it plays really good. And we discussed some ideas to make it even more fun during the stream.

And I suppose you are the only one who finds something in the game too esoteric. Put the game on hiatus if you are not in the right mood now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Oh no! :sad: IMO there are no major problems, it plays really good. And we discussed some ideas to make it even more fun during the stream.

And I suppose you are the only one who finds something in the game too esoteric. Put the game on hiatus if you are not in the right mood now.

Ultimately I think I just incorrectly judged how most people would be playing the game. While I was testing I tended to play the game pretty fast; I tended to run out of blocks to stand on pretty quickly, hence why the coin was added.

Judging from the gameplay I've seen from others, most people play pretty differently, preferring NOT to destroy many blocks. The issue here is that it takes forever for the game to speed up if you play it like this. If I were to do the game over again I would've tied the speed up to the number of blocks that fell rather than the score.

The "speed up" in general is also pretty jarring... Balloon Trip also has this issue, but I wish I was more patient with the code so I could've made the difficulty curve more gradual...

Edited by bluswimmer