IGNORED

Wanted: 5.25 floppy drive

Grig

I found some old PC disks with "Dungeons and Dragons" listed on them and I want to see if they can be accessed; however, I do not have an internal 5.25 disk drive on my old PC so I am looking for one. PM me if you have one to sell or give away! Thanks!

There are no IDE floppy drives. The floppy controller is separate from the IDE controller. If you are running DOS or Windows 95/98 and your bios supports 2 floppy drives (my DOS PC does and I currently have both a 1.2mb 5.25 inch and 1.44mb 3.5 inch drives installed). VCF is a great place for the more technical side of vintage computers and someone there should be able to hook you up with a floppy drive via the marketplace there: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php

10-4, Carlsson already let me know of my technological errors LOL!!!

My computer only has the older CD/DVD hookups and the smaller version for the 3.5 disk drive.

I think I don't know what I am talking about ...

You just need a floppy ribbon cable with a connector on one end that will fit the edge connector of a 5.25 inch drive (larger than the connector for a 3.5 inch drive). The connector on the other end of the cable (that plugs into your mobo or IO card) is the same for both kinds of drives.

My 2004 XP 3 GHz Pentium desktop has a built in floppy controller and no problems running floppy drives.

You'll also need to select the correct cable for your system. The 5¼ drives will have an edge card connector while 3½ uses a 34 pin IDE connector. There are combo cables with both style connectors on them. Most setups will require a "twisted" ribbon cable where several center wires are twisted around going to the far end connector. This is how drive A and B are selected. Drive A requires the twist so you would need that cable even when using one drive.

Drives will also have jumpers or DIP switches to select 0-3 and I think PCs require both set at 0 as the cable is doing the selecting. Older computers, like my Model III, use the jumpers.