IGNORED

How can I start programming?

Pixel Toad

Be aware that this is not an easy goal, even if you already have programming experience. Aside from Karl's question above -

Have you searched for threads about 'how to program 2600' here? There are many such threads.

It's too big of a subject area to just say 'please help'. There are also other online resources about programming for the 2600.

• Like 1

Run away!!! Not only is the coding itself challenging but learning it is hard because the info is fragmented across lots of different tutorials, web pages, and Atari Age threads. In addition to those, I recommend this book by Steven Hugg. Be very patient. It will be frustrating but very rewarding if you can stick it out.

I have heavily commented code on the web page for the game I made. That is one way to learn after you have the basics down.

Edited by scitari

Are you saying that batari Basic isn't working for you, or that isn't what you want to use?

Have you done any other kind of programming before, or would this be your first time programming on any platform?

Batari Basic doesn't work it always shows an error message when I try to start it and it's my first time programmming.

• Like 1

Batari Basic doesn't work it always shows an error message when I try to start it and it's my first time programmming.

Welcome Pixel Toad! I think it's great that you want to learn programming. You didn't choose the easiest thing to program, but don't let that stop you. :-)

What is the error message that you're getting?

• Like 1

As mentioned, for someone new to programming, the 2600 is a challenging first platform, to say the least.

From the above, I assume you are trying to use the Visual batari Basic IDE. Take a look at these instructions to make sure you have the latest build of it and bB itself, and have them installed correctly. The batari Basic Commands Reference is your guide to all things bB, and the batari Basic forum is the best place to ask questions and search for issues you encounter. Good luck!

batari BASIC is the easiest way (especially with Visual bB).

If you tried reading through Random Terrains website and asked questions in the forum and can't get it.. well. The Atari 2600 is not a good starting point for you.

It's OK to fail at something. Learn what your limits are and find a new direction. Once you have more experience try again.

I already suggested starting with YoYo Games Game Maker for PC.

https://www.yoyogames.com/

If you must start with a classic console try NES Maker.

http://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/

• Like 1

Start small. When we were kids, they sold books of Basic games you could just type into your C64 or Apple ][. I started out tinkering with those one summer.

If you're experienced with game development, have an eye for pixel art, and know a little about playing piano, batari Basic is dead simple--and you'll have a working game in a jiffy.

The documentation is well maintained. Random Terrain maintains a pretty good reference. I remember asking a question about rom sizes and the documentation was updated the next day.

Remember, there are no platforms out there that don't hit you with gotchas and no project ever goes as planned.

Experienced game devs can produce quality bB games without much of a learning curve.

A first time developer should probably start simple.

Try modifying this one:

https://github.com/mad4j/atari-mssnake

Edited by orange808
  • Like 1

I agree with these ideas, learning programming by typing in fun game listings from books and magazines is the optimal way to learn myriad programming concepts; paint the fence/sand the deck; now we call this learning technique gamification.

Here's a thread with related ideas:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253598-50-years-of-basic-time/page-1

• 2 weeks later...

I will just re-iterate what has already been stated.

START SMALL!

Play around with the beginner tutorials, like "2600 101" and Spice's "Collect". (If you want to code in assembly.)

Make small non-game projects on your own, draw some simple graphics.

Work your way up to making a simple demo, then a simple game. It takes a lot of time and effort to get over the learning curve.

Edited by JeremiahK