IGNORED

Announcing 8bit-Unity: Cross-platform SDK for 8bit games

Hey guyz,

Last month I released 8bit-Slicks for the C64, Atari XL and Apple//e. It is the first cross-platform online game for 8bit era computers.

While developping the game, I organized my project into a "game" part, and a "SDK" part, for future re-use. It then occured to me that other people would benefit from this base for development of cross-platform 8bit games.

So I am announcing the planned release of 8bit-Unity in the second quarter of 2019. The SDK will contain everything to let you create simple online 8bit games in C code once, and deploy on all supported platforms easily (C64, Atari XL, Apple//e, and more in future!).

So they tuned!!!

banner-original.png

Edited by 8bit-Dude
  • Like 8

I think there are C programmers who pick their IDE and platform libraries for CC65. Those people will pass on this.

I think there are retro enthusiast beginners who need a ready-to-go visual IDE and higher level language like BASIC or LUA to dive in. Those people will also pass on this.

Can't wait to see if this grows into something appealing to your target audience :)

Sound awesome!

Wanted to understand from you the SDK capabilities in C

Will it support :

1.DLI? Multiple DLIs?

2. Screen fine Scrolling ?

3. Hi res mode ?

4. Was this written in CC65?

Keep up the good work

You can write a DLI and DLIST in C if you want, but the aim of the SDK is prevent people from having to learn the specifics of each system.

So the SDK takes care of things wherever possible. For instance, I implemented VBIs for RMT playback, and DLI for 5th sprite flicker.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great idea! :thumbsup: :love: I really love the idea of multi platform 8-bit games. I've seen a few online lately and I'm actually working on one myself at the moment. Hopefully you can find a user base for your project! One would think that there is a bunch of retro computer enthusiasts that are not "engineers" but tinkerers and artsy types for which this would be ideal. I would've been in your target audience for a long while as an artsy fartsy type that want abstraction and fairly easy programming even on these old machines :) but lately I've also become interested in some of the more technical details of old computers even though I'm still using C instead of assembly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Doc Hey Doc!

The news is thay version 0.4 (with scrollable tilemaps) will be out 2 weeks ago, as I am late on my initial plans... ?

But seriously, it will be out in a matter of days/weeks, here is a spoiler of included Tech-Demo:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
19 hours ago, bkumanchik said:

Is this still a live project, there hasn't been any updates to the GitHub in 2023 - just checking before I head down this rabbit hole. 🙂

This is 8bit-Dude's project..   He was hoping to get v0.5 released in JUL-2023...    

There is no release so far, but he did post in the 8bit-Unity Discord in the #general Channel, on 18-NOV-2023, about Supported Hardware and IDE preference..

Maybe we should "check-in" and see what is needed to get the v0.5 release done..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

On 11/28/2023 at 7:40 AM, bkumanchik said:

Hey Mark, thanks for the answer, this looks sooo interesting, I have been messing with cc65 for both Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bit I'd love to give this a try, but I haven't found a lot of tutorials, etc. on the subject.

Brian

8bit-Dude responded to me on the 8bit-Unity Discord..

Looks like all the pieces of v0.5 are already in the Git Repo..   But there isn't a Release on the Download Page on the 8bit-Unity Web Site:
https://8bit-unity.com/?page_id=172

MarkO