IGNORED

New PS3 Owner Looking for Game Suggestions

Classic Pac

I finally got myself a PS3 back in November, I got it mainly for the PSP feature but slowly I have discovered some great games like my latest Pick up South Park Stick of Truth, very fun game. I own 10 titles and recently I got wondering what else is out there. I love retro games, action adventure, racing, and really fun RPGs. I don't like FPS, I told that to someone on Facebook and they suggested Call of Duty. So please no run and gun games, but what else is out there. I also collect movie games and yes I know they can be really crappy.

I got to the PS3 late too, just a couple of years ago. I love it. The aesthetics of the fat model appeals to me, and the two slim models are very handy. A Super Slim is my regular BD player and media streamer.

As for games, if you like NES Zelda, I can recommend 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Also Ni No Kuni, which I need to get back into.

Both are PS3 exclusives.

Blur is definitely a game you should try to find. Imagine Mario Kart, but with realistic cars and settings. I had my doubts about this one, but it really is as good as the reviews suggest.

I could have bought Ni No Kuni for five bucks when I was in Tucson yesterday, but declined. That... was probably not a smart move, huh? (In my defense, I don't use my PS3 much now that I have the PS4.)

• Like 1

If you like platforming, you can't go wrong with Little Big Planet (all three titles). Great platformer where you can also design your own levels using assets you collected while playing single player mode. Get the GOTY editions if possible as they have a ton of good DLC included on the disc. Even when the multiplayer servers eventually get canned, there's still tons of fun stuff to do in single player mode.

Also try 3D Dot Heroes. It's a fun Adventure/RPG hidden gem on the system, largely inspired by Zelda Link to the Past. Everything in the universe is made up of voxels and it has an editor to design your own characters.

I have an entire series of videos on the subject of PS3 Hidden Gems, but here are some I recommend and can usually find at your local GameStop:

Nier

Yakuza 4
AquaPazza: AquaPlus Dream Match
Ski Doo: Snowmobile Challenge
Dragon’s Crown
Brutal Legend
The Bureau - XCom Declassified
Valkyria Chronicles
Ridge Racer Unbounded

Eternal Sonata
3D Dot Game Heroes
Folklore
Deadly Premonition Director’s Edition
Heavenly Sword
Resonance of Fate
Puppeteer
Time Crisis 4
Disgaea 4
  • Like 1

I also bought myself a used PS3 a while back. Didn't want to spend a lot of money on a PS4, but wanted something more modern. It came with several games. One of them was Lego Batman. I resisted playing it for awhile because I thought it was a kids game, but once I actually tried it I was hooked. Now that's all I've been playing. I've got all three of the Lego Batman games, two of the Lego Star Wars games and one of the Lego Marvel Super Heroes games. I think I'll be getting the Lego Indiana Jones next. They are a lot of fun. Check out the walk-thru videos on YouTube and you can see what they are like.

I finally got myself a PS3 back in November, I got it mainly for the PSP feature but slowly I have discovered some great games like my latest Pick up South Park Stick of Truth, very fun game. I own 10 titles and recently I got wondering what else is out there. I love retro games, action adventure, racing, and really fun RPGs. I don't like FPS, I told that to someone on Facebook and they suggested Call of Duty. So please no run and gun games, but what else is out there. I also collect movie games and yes I know they can be really crappy.

Some other games I'd definitely recommend:

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

Batman: Arkham Asylum (and the others in this series, but I've only played this one)

Bayonetta - supposedly the worst version but I didn't notice any issues, I only read later that the Xbox 360, Wii U and now obviously Switch versions are a bit better. But if you only have a PS3, get it!

Burnout Paradise

Catherine

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (final version of DOA5, probably should avoid the others)

Dynasty Warriors (really any of the main series)

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds

Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster

Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/Lightning Returns are worth a try but XIII can be kind of a slog. XIII-2 is awesome, though, until the ending (I won't spoil it, but I wasn't a fan of it). Lightning Returns I didn't finish.

Gran Turismo 6 is almost certainly the best Gran Turismo game of all.

Grand Theft Auto IV and V

Guitar Hero series if you get one of the controllers (and only if you do).

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F and F 2nd

House of the Dead: Overkill but it's gonna be better with a Move controller.

Katamari Forever

The Last of Us

Persona 5

Silent Hill HD Collection (there's a big patch that fixes the many gamekilling bugs you might read about in reviews)

Soulcalibur V

SSX

Tomb Raider (2013)

Uncharted 1-3

Virtua Fighter 5

That's not an exhaustive list at all, just what I have played that I recommend. I think you could take all of the lists you've gotten so far (and any that come after this), combine them and just look up the titles and see if you might like them. Most PS3 games are super-cheap at this point so it's not a big chance to take just buying something to try it.

I love the PS3 - I think it holds up really well even today.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Motorstorm games are great and still fun today.

If you like sim racing, Dirt is fantastic. I have a lot of hours into that game. There were also 3 Dirt sequels on the PS3, although I haven't played any of those yet.

The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection is amazing. They made another HD remake of SOTC on the PS4, but this is still the best way to play Ico.

There are two Metal Gear Solid collections. Both have an amazing list of games, several of which are HD remasters. The earlier collection is a lot cheaper.

I know you said you don't like first person shooters, but I would still take a look at the Portal games. They are amazing, and nothing like the traditional FPS (you never actually shoot anyone). The first one is part of the Orange Box, and the second one was released on its own.

Another strange one that I never hear anyone talk about is Rock of the Dead. It requires a guitar from Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I know most people don't care about those games anymore, but Rock of the Dead is fun because you are killing zombies with your guitar. It's sort of like Typing of the Dead on the Dreamcast, except you use your guitar instead of a keyboard.

The House of the Dead: Overkill is a fun game that uses the Move controller as a "light gun."

The Tomb Raider Trilogy is a great collection of Tomb Raider games, and the 2 games from the PS2 era are HD remasters.

Also, if you are into God of War, check out the God of War Saga. It includes HD remasters of 1 and 2, along with download codes for both PSP games and also God of War 3 all in one collection for about $15.

• Like 1