IGNORED

The good old Pitfall II.. only a little different !

TIX

Just dawned in me to try something. You know ,if you wait a bit, the game goes into a little demo mode, with the little guy running toward the right-side of the screen, eventually dying on the scorpion, if it gets that far. Well, I decided to turn off pm collisions-detection, to see if he went any farther and where to. Well, he makes it past the scorpion, falls down a shaft and keeps running right, into a wall and continues doing so for...well, he's been doing so for a few minutes, now, on my system. Kind of predictable, I guess, but was hoping for something more. icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 2

Got some more time tomorrow morning to play again with the latest release and get at least a perfect in the first levels...
Seems you fixed the "head coming-off" issue, but if you watch the ending of the first level sequence

you could see that when Harry's jumping L - R repeatedly he's pretty much rid(d)iculous :-o :_( .

I see the modded final sequence sprites and I like them ! Quicklaw is so quiet and peaceful, with its big nose and its pleasant face ;-) .

Nice job :thumbsup: !
  • Like 3

Just dawned in me to try something. You know ,if you wait a bit, the game goes into a little demo mode, with the little guy running toward the right-side of the screen, eventually dying on the scorpion, if it gets that far. Well, I decided to turn off pm collisions-detection, to see if he went any farther and where to. Well, he makes it past the scorpion, falls down a shaft and keeps running right, into a wall and continues doing so for...well, he's been doing so for a few minutes, now, on my system. Kind of predictable, I guess, but was hoping for something more. icon_mrgreen.gif

:D

Edited by TIX

• 9 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 7:43 AM, TIX said:

The 1st level is pretty easy, and I have completed it repeatedly during the course of the hack (the extra practice sure helped a lot !)

The 2nd level though is impossibly hard for me and since I haven't found a trained/invisibility version,

I haven't been able to check the new sprites in action and especially the ending

I hear ya. Back in the day, I could not make those jumps toward the end and duck the bats at the same time, so I made my own hack. First off, I made it so it would run from DOS on any Atari with 48K of ram. That was tough because of the copy protection. It comes in two levels: the first checks if the "rom" is actually in ram, and was easy to hack. The second checksums the rom and fails on the balloon ride if the checksum fails... you can't change a SINGLE BYTE. I couldn't find that code, so I didn't bother - I rewrote the game code to run below the cart (I had 48K, after all) and left the cart space the same. While I was at it, I added a pause menu accessed via OPTION. Within the pause menu, you can save and load the game to/from floppy, and format a floppy in case you don't have a spare blank formatted floppy. So that section at the end went like this... jump, die, reload; jump, die, reload; jump, MAKE IT! SAVE!! Jump, die, reload...

Anywho, I'll attach the xex in case you're interested. I really need to find the source some time... it's on a floppy... somewhere...

Pitfall II - Disk Version.xex

• Like 5