IGNORED

Collecting goals for 2019

It's that time of year again! What are you hoping to accomplish collection-wise this year? After any specific new systems? Need to clear some out? What kind of games are you hoping to buy or play?

(For those interested in seeing how things have played out for them over time, here's the 2018, 2017, and 2016 threads.)

I've spent the last couple years acquiring many new systems & games, and trying my best to finish those games... but in the latter half of last year, it started taking on a chore-like quality. I was trying to keep my numbers up by looking through my stuff for games that were easy, as opposed to ones I wanted to play. It was starting to quit being fun- at least until my fiancé got me into Monster Hunter World. I haven't dug into a game like that in ages- it was nice, even it it did mean my backlog grew by leaps & bounds.

So, this year I'd like to focus in on a couple of JRPGs & other longer-form titles I've wanted to play, but put off due to the time commitment- starting by continuing my quest to earn a platinum trophy in Monster Hunter World, which would be my first. 5 more crowns to go!

Just before the year ran out, I got a very hefty raise at work. While I'm sure by this time next year I'll have adjusted, for now I've got some extra income- so I'd like to put it towards some of the pricier games in my wishlist. I'm also planning to pick up a TurboDuo (or equivalent) at some point this year.

I also think it's high time I did another purge from other collections I have that get less attention, to see if I can make room for things I've been wanting for awhile but can't justify due to space & cost concerns. I already got a twin stick dreamcast controller for virtual on, I'd love to find somewhere to put a vectrex & start saving for one.

Overall, I'm going for a slower-paced, quality or quantity kind of approach. What about you guys?

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 5

Well, a 7800 came into my life recently, and it's begging to be fed (just when I thought I got everything I could possibly want for the 2600).

I still have to find a spot for the thing to integrate it into the small game/guest room. Then find room in the cart rack for games that have yet to be purchased.

Besides that, my goal this year is repair rather than aquisition. I've got a garage full of arcade games. All of which (except Baby Pac-Man) worked great before I moved to the country. Immediately after the move four years ago, I got married and started having kids.

It took 2016-2018 to get the game/guest room completed to my specs. It was originally a walled-in room in the garage where I think the last owners sub-let. Not very livable. Lots of interior upgrades, electrical work and a new A/C, and now it's pretty nice. It's also got all my consoles and carts, a mame table, a pachinko and a slot machine. The slot was a recent find that needs a little work (also on my to do list). Not my first slot machine repair, but this one is an early 80's Aristocrat/IGT hybrid called an Esprit (I think), and a tall order. Also first one I'm committed to keeping for myself. Any slot experts here? Anyone?

Anyway, hopefully 2019 will be the year of the garage arcade. Things always seem to take longer then expected tho.

Dang 7800. Another mouth to feed. Good thing it's weird and charming.

• Like 3

My plan is rather lightweight. Continue operating in low-priority acquisition mode. This means if I see something like manuals or spare parts I may purchase it. I may not. It will have to be convenient and priced right. I'm not actively looking for something specific at the moment.

No plans to expand my existing collection of Apple II, TRS-80 Pocket Computers 1,2,4, or two vintage PCs I currently have.

I will continue to update and refine my emulation setup. Build a new SFF PC for 1H 2019. This doesn't really add new hardware to the mix, because we dispose of last-year's junk. May step-up vintage software archiving too.

• Like 3

I still need to get some 3DS games. Haven't really been looking, though. Money has made other things a priority.

Other than that, as far as things to purchase goes, I still probably have most of my same goals as last year.

A much cheaper goal I've set for myself is the goal of finally finishing a lot of games that I have had for a while, but never finished. I've already put in around 10 hours on a new Windwaker run. Maybe I'll be able to concentrate and keep at it until I finally get to the end. If I do, it'll make only the second Zelda game I've ever finished.

• Like 2

So yeah, 2018 was a much slower year for collecting for me. Here's what I said last year:

Ok, here we go...

What do you want to acquire?

I'm still on the hunt for a TI99-4A, a Fairchild Channel F, a XEGS, and 32X. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I am waiting for the right deals on those. I'd also like to get a PS4 and a Switch at some point, but we'll see what happens there. Maybe a Vita at some point as well.

What do you want to sell off?

I actually just ditched a ton of spares recently, but I still need to go through my Atari 2600 carts and sell off some commons.

Do you want to "right-size" your collection to fit a certain lifestyle?

It's pretty much under control right now, however, I could still organize it better.

Do you want to get rid of excess doubles and triples?

See above comment on the 2600 carts. Yup.

Do you want to sell recently purchased things that are not so cool now that you have them?

I usually hang onto stuff for a while. Also, I don't buy stuff I don't think is cool!

Is there 1 single magical and highly desirable piece you're hunting for?

I really want a boxed, complete copy of Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator for the Vectrex. I'll wait for the right moment to snag one on eBay.

Do you have too much stuff to fully enjoy what you have today?

Ha, probably. But, having a big collection with lots of variety is great!

In all honesty, I'm past the "bulk collecting" days. I won't pick up a big haul unless I can sell off what I don't want out of it. It's nice finally being in the maintenance stage of my collecting.

Some notes on those goals:

-I bought exactly zero new consoles last year outside of the Playstation Classic plug-and-play, if that counts. I just missed a Sears Heavy Sixer and a boxed Fairchild Channel F on the super cheap because "Some Guy" got them first.

-All my gaming pickups were from thrifts, gaming stores, online or regular brick and mortar retailers. I didn't pick up a single bulk lot of games; just piecemeal stuff here and there.

-I also didn't sell anything off. I did however give a PS2 to a guy at work, so there's that.

-I never got that Star Trek: SOS for the Vectrex. I need to get on that!

-I did buy A LOT of digital titles, especially for the Switch. I also spent a lot of time messing with emulation, particularly with my Retropie.

-One thing I did do was replace my aging CRT with a 42" plasma 1080P TV in the game room. I still have the CRT, as well as another small one kicking around, but they are both in storage now. So far, I haven't missed it.

My goals for 2019:

-Sell off the extras. It's time for it to go. I need the space.

-Keep perfecting emulation with the Retropie and other methods. I got a RPI Zero for Christmas, which would make a fun tabletop arcade cab project.

-Speaking of arcade games, I want to pull my Galaga/Galaxian cocktail cab out of hibernation and get to restoring it. That should be fun! It's sat dormant for far too long.

-PLAY MY BACKLOG! I have recently been going back and playing my insane backlog of titles, and I need to keep doing that instead of buying new stuff.

That's about it. Keeping it simple for 2019.

• Like 3

This time last year I was feeling really burnt out and cynical about retro gaming and collecting. I just wasn't happy with the hobby because I kept looking for new systems I had never played before rather than focusing on the ones I've always enjoyed, so over the course of 2018 I spent a lot of time and energy paring down my systems to just the ones I owned during my formative years. In late 2018 I also did quite a bit of housecleaning selling off games that I bought, put on the shelf, then never played or was only keeping around because they were rare and valuable and felt cool to have.

With my assortment of systems and games now whittled down to just the stuff that really mattered to me at various points in my life, and my game collecting habits narrowed down to just the small handful of systems that I owned as a kid, I'm feeling much happier and more enthused about the hobby and life in general going into 2019. As far as what I have planned for 2019 goes, I just have two goals.

The first goal is to only buy games that I know I will be excited to sit down and play as soon as I get them. If I see a game for sale that I'm somewhat interested in but know I wouldn't play right away and it would just sit on the shelf for an undetermined period of time then I'm going to pass it up and not buy it, and instead focus my limited collecting budget on just games that I feel like I absolutely have to dive into the moment I get home with them. I'm hoping that by doing that I'll be able to recapture a little of what made getting a new video game such an enthralling experience back when I was kid.

My second goal is actually a little project that I talked about a bit in the What Did You Buy Today? thread over the Show Us Your Collection forum, which I'll quote for the sake of brevity:

I made my first gaming related purchase of 2019 this week, and it's one that I'm at pretty much maximum possible levels of excitement about! I've owned a couple AGS-101 backlit Game Boy Advance systems in the past but they both had Chinese reproduction shells and buttons and I really never cared for the cheap flimsy feeling of the shells and poorly cast buttons, so I eventually sold them and decided to keep an eye out for a pristine mint condition Indigo colored GBA with all original Nintendo parts that I could add a backlit screen to myself. After a good year or so of searching I finally found exactly what I was looking for!
For $45 shipped I picked up a gem mint Indigo GBA with zero scratches anywhere on the system and all original Nintendo parts, plus the seller threw in a carrying case and a few equally mint condition games to go with the system. It feels absolutely glorious in my hands, solid and sturdy with nice smoothly cast and responsive buttons, and over the next few months I'll be upgrading it with an AGS-101 LCD screen, BennVenn Voltage Regulator for maximum screen brightness, Audio Amplifier kit from RetroModding.com, and an EverDrive GBA X5 fully loaded with every game I could ever possibly want to play for the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, original Game Boy, NES, Game Gear, and Sega Master System. That's my gaming project for 2019! :)
y00wraY.jpg
OeZ8h2U.jpg
tl70kxd.jpg
Once it's all done, between that Game Boy Advance and the New 3DS XL that I spent literally hundreds of hours playing over the past year I'll be able to play absolutely every handheld Nintendo game ever made up to the Nintendo Switch; which is a really appealing idea that fits with the "less is more" ideology that's brought a lot of happiness and contentment to my gaming hobby over the past year. I really like the idea of having just 2 handhelds for all my portable gaming needs, and with awesome backlit screens and rocking speakers in both of them. If Nintendo ever releases a smaller and more pocket friendly revision of the Switch I'll probably pick one of them up as well just to keep up with the modern games that interest me, but until then I think I'll be really happy just rotating between my souped-up GBA and New 3DS XL.
I've still got a few nostalgic handhelds in my collection like a nicely backlit original gray brick Game Boy and a Game Boy Color that I break out every now and then when I need a nostalgia fix, but for my regular day to day gaming activities I think I'll be really pleased with the duo of the Game Boy Advance and New 3DS XL, so I'm seriously excited to get the GBA upgrade project underway. :)
That's it for my plans for 2019!
  • Like 2

Barring the release of a Sega CD ODE, I don't really have much planned for 2019, and very little for goals. I don't think I'll acquire much beyond stuff I've already got pre-ordered, which is the Mega Sg and the 8bitdo Genesis controller. If Retro-Bit releases the wireless Saturn or Dreamcast controller, I'll get those, too. Beyond that, I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

Neat! Is that something for retro gaming rig? If so, you going with DOS, Win 3.1, 95, 98 or ? Just curious what your plans are with it.

That's my plan. ;)

While as you see it was meant to run win95, I'm probably going to put PC DOS 7 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on it (but mainly running in DOS mode).

• Like 2

I *believe* that I’m on the cusp of having now played every game that I own, although there are some Polish

A8 games that have so far escaped my joystick, and I’ve got a pile of ST disks that need to be explored. It’s taken me...hmm, about 16 years to reach this point, and I only have Atari (and CV, DC, and CD32) systems. :)

• Like 1

Im a bit of a cheap arse, so my approach very much is to be patient, and get as much bang for your buck.

So, ill happily wait years for games to hit a price point im comfortable with, and I never, ever buy games on release (except one or two indies, rarely).

Being British, my biggest holes in my collection were the NES (as it didnt fare well over here) - I had the system but few games, and I viewed them as too expensive now as id missed the boat. Likewise the SNES, which was also a period where id distanced myself from gaming - partly because I was then a computer dept manager, and didnt want to come home to more computing stuff, and partly because I was djing in my spare time. Every now and then, id have a look at what gaming was doing, but there was a lot that I just didnt like from this period - I dont like fighters, and beat em ups not so much.

So when the playstation came about, it hooked me back in, and I also became more aware of the classic rpgs and the like id been missing out on.

But again, as they were too expensive, I couldnt be bothered.

Thanks to the nes classic last year, this changed. ROMs ftw, essentially.

But I still collect other stuff - ive largely finished off all I want to buy for the 360, and ps3, but still have a few original xbox, gamecube, ps1 and 2 I want to get.

Again though, I dont have a target of "Im going to get x this year" because, to my way of thinking, thats against the band for your buck thing.

I simply have a note of what I need, and just keep an eye on ALL of it until I see some that reach my threshold price. Plus this mentality of mine also helps, as you will inevitably have a large backlog so its never a case of having nothing to play.

If I had to choose one system though that has been more focused of the older consoles, I guess its the original xbox. Im still finding games id never heard of, which is unusual for me.

I do plan on getting a switch this year too.

• Like 1

Downsize the collection.

Already pretty happy with how the plan is working. It's basically to get rid of stuff that has been in a plastic bin for years. Sell it, donate it, whatever it takes. These are my guidelines:

* Keep only the premium stuff. Get rid of all third-party controllers unless they are special or rare.

* Keep only one spare of the important consoles, especially if the item can be repurchased pretty easily.

* Accept that I'm never going to get around to fixing that bunch of stuff and sell it as non-working parts.

Over the past week, I've gotten rid of four original Xboxes, two fat PS2s, two 2600s (one CIB), and a ton of controllers. Going for a much more minimalist look in the room. So worth it.

• Like 1

Im a bit of a cheap arse, so my approach very much is to be patient, and get as much bang for your buck.

So, ill happily wait years for games to hit a price point im comfortable with, and I never, ever buy games on release (except one or two indies, rarely).

Yes. I've waiting several years myself in order to get something at the right price. And in the process of waiting I've discovered other related things in a series/ecology I collect for. I was browsing through ebay buying modern-day computer parts and stuff and just so happened across a certain cassette I didn't know existed. And right-priced by a mile!

• Like 1

I got seriously back into Atari last year, picking up a 7800, Jaguar, and XEGS. I really would like to get a complete in box 7800 games collection going, as I've got a lot of nostalgia for that system.

Unfortunately, the 7800 was never released in Japan so I'll have to rely on Ebay and online vendors, but I've already got a half dozen boxed games. My plan is to get what I can from the online vendors, and then fill out the collection with Ebay lots. I'm definitely not gonna get a complete collection, as there's no way I'm gonna spend the $$$$$$$ on the pricier third party games.

I've never been that much into collecting much of anything, though I have a decent collection of Megadrive, PCE, PSX, and Saturn games.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

Barring the release of a Sega CD ODE, I don't really have much planned for 2019, and very little for goals. I don't think I'll acquire much beyond stuff I've already got pre-ordered, which is the Mega Sg and the 8bitdo Genesis controller. If Retro-Bit releases the wireless Saturn or Dreamcast controller, I'll get those, too. Beyond that, I'm pretty happy.

A week later and I look like an idiot. I've acquired a modded PS1 and a second model 2 Sega CD (for use with that Mega Sg) so far. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

A week later and I look like an idiot. I've acquired a modded PS1 and a second model 2 Sega CD (for use with that Mega Sg) so far. :lol:

Oh, I know that feeling:

The only other console I'd really like to have is a Vectrex. I don't have anywhere to keep one, but I really enjoy the machine when I can play it at conventions.

*later*

There's a lot of interesting games on the TurboDuo… it's pricey, but it would be nice to have...

*later still*

You know, if I sold enough DVDs I could make room for an Odyssey 2...

I'm sure someday I'll probably end up with a Jaguar too, despite specifically saying right now I don't want one. :P

• Like 1

I got a Lynx on a lark and wasn't really taking it seriously, figured I'd just get the SD cart eventually and stick it on my dresser for the occasional play... but I am really digging this system now, and am contemplating collecting loose carts. I've already got 10 or so games, with another 20 I'd reckon coming in from various orders.

The first lot I got btw had Checkered Flag, Blue Lightning, California Games, Todds Adventures in Slime World, and Awesome Golf (plus 2 other games that aren't as great). I can't imagine a better lot of games to start with!! All classics imo.

Edited by newtmonkey

Last year went OK, but still didn't get my next console as intended. If you remember, I was planning on finding a Jaguar, Vectrex, or 3DO for my next console. This hasn't materialized yet. So, that goal carries over this year (thinking about TurboGrafix 16 as another possibility).

Other than that, the bullet points for this year:

• Learn / go through more hardware - currently fixing my 7800 as posted in another thread, I also have my Sega CD model 1 to finish, and a PS4. As well as learning more on the electronics side more.
  • Commodore - continue expanding this collection and playing around with it (hardware and software) and get my 12yo son his own C64.
  • Programming - really delve into 6502 assembly and 2600 programming.
  • And, above all Family Time with hobby - Having my 12yo son go through the hardware things with me and expanding his own interest in C64 stuff. My 15yo daughter wants to start her own collection. We have had that talk and discussed on what she wants to collect, what her interests are, and determined her start would be best collection GBA (GB, GBC, GBA). Play more games with my 6yo son (as soon as we find where Bendy on the Switch has been lost to).

Also, we may finally make an appearance again at MGC this year.

-Allen

I got a Lynx on a lark and wasn't really taking it seriously, figured I'd just get the SD cart eventually and stick it on my dresser for the occasional play... but I am really digging this system now, and am contemplating collecting loose carts. I've already got 10 or so games, with another 20 I'd reckon coming in from various orders.

The first lot I got btw had Checkered Flag, Blue Lightning, California Games, Todds Adventures in Slime World, and Awesome Golf (plus 2 other games that aren't as great). I can't imagine a better lot of games to start with!! All classics imo.

I know, right? My Lynx was also an impulse buy, but it's surprisingly enjoyable machine given its reputation. Small/Asian/Yugioh sized card sleeves make great protectors for loose Lynx carts, by the way.

Also...

The only other console I'd really like to have is a Vectrex. I don't have anywhere to keep one, but I really enjoy the machine when I can play it at conventions.

*later*

There's a lot of interesting games on the TurboDuo… it's pricey, but it would be nice to have...

*later still*

You know, if I sold enough DVDs I could make room for an Odyssey 2...

Yeah- guess who did a DVD purge yesterday & is seriously considering an Odyssey 2 now.

If I were smart, I'd be focusing on making room for a Vectrex!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For Christmas, my brother got me a copy of Darius Gaiden for Saturn, and I recently treated myself to copies of R-Type and Golden Axe Warrior for Master System (with copies of Phantasy Star and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World currently on the way...).

So this year, I'm feeling inspired to get more into Sega stuff. Not necessarily to collect hardcore for Sega systems or anything, but just to delve more into their libraries and get a better picture of what they were about. When it comes to the late '80s-'90s era of gaming, I've always been more of a Nintendo or PlayStation guy (or Atari, if we're talking about 8-bits), and so I've mostly overlooked Sega stuff. I've already got all the systems that matter (Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast), and even some that don't (SG-1000, by way of my DINA)...I just don't have many games for them. So it will be fun checking out the Sega side of things more. :)

Ironically, even though I grew up with a Genesis, I've usually considered it one of my least-interesting systems. I attribute that attitude to my changing taste in game genres--I mostly played fighters and beat-em-ups on it back in the day, so that's what I tended to associate the Genesis with. I've since fallen out of love with fighters, but I'm all about shmups, which the Genesis is loaded with. :-D

• Like 1