IGNORED

I refuse to leave my atari 2600 die :(

MyAtariIsBroken

Hi, guys i recive this atari long time ago, when a friend of my pased away, so is important to me do not let this atari just dead.

i have some basic electronic skills so i tested the main capacitor and Voltage was 10.1 and the voltage on the regulator was 5.0, so i think probably is a chip issue.

The image is very noise, as you can see on this pictures, but i think is frozen too because i have 6 joysticks and i cant move the tank with anyone of them.

if any of you can guide me on the solution i will be grateful.

Thanks.

IMG_20190103_175523_zpst77pua23.jpg

IMG_20190103_180153_zpsfzolqmpk.jpg

IMG_20190103_180100_zpsad8j8v9t.jpg

IMG_20190103_174651_zpsqmgjs7un.jpg

Edited by MyAtariIsBroken
  • Like 1

The first thing to do is get rid of that switch box.

Actually not true, first he needs to see if any OTHER devices such as a desktop computer are placed near the Atari and TV itself because it could be that THEY are causing the interference. I thought initially that my Atari was going bad too until one day I decided to give my computer a rest and powered it off and the second the computer turned off the snow was gone

• Like 1

Actually not true, first he needs to see if any OTHER devices such as a desktop computer are placed near the Atari and TV itself because it could be that THEY are causing the interference. I thought initially that my Atari was going bad too until one day I decided to give my computer a rest and powered it off and the second the computer turned off the snow was gone

Thats becuse the switchboxes have the sheilding equivliant of a burlap sack

• Like 4

Those crazy patterns are typical of bad connections between the cartridge and the slot.

The cartridge and/or the slot contacts possibly just need to be cleaned. If the problem is dirty contact surfaces, you may be able to get it to work temporarily by repeatedly removing and inserting the cartridge to scrape away oxidation on the contact surfaces.

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

Probably just crud on the contacts. If you can push back the part of the cart that covers the contacts, get a pencil eraser and clean them, tap the shards off then use a q-tip with a smidge of rubbing alcohol. Works most of the time to remove the crud enough to make the cart work.

• Like 1

Thats becuse the switchboxes have the sheilding equivliant of a burlap sack

That MAY be why RadioShack, in the early 2000's packaged them with an extra resistor, to work around this, not really sure but it's a possibility

guys, i cleaned all, all games show image, i can select the game mode and start the game but after 20 second, this atari just go crazy, show some lines and eventually go to black screen.

the second strange thing is if i have been plug a joystick on the atari, wont start any game just show a black screen, is all the same with any joystick even with the paddle joystick

PD: and i also cleaned the power switch and is in good conditions

IMG_20190107_112705_zpspv2us8em.jpg

IMG_20190107_112529_zpsq2clwyc3.jpg

IMG_20190107_112459_zpsekvetxpt.jpg

IMG_20190107_112818_zps73dql9br.jpg

IMG_20190107_112610_zpsb8jqc807.jpg

Edited by MyAtariIsBroken

Hi,

Generally this issue occurs if you have undervoltage on the board.

The powersupply can fail to produce the required power.

Start the system and check if the cartridge has the full 5V at these points:

post-67142-0-83219600-1547074103.jpg

let it run for a while and check the voltage again.

Do you have any option to use an other powersupply? That would be the easiest way to test that.

Good luck,

Andre

I would try to clean the cartridge slot and the carts. Dirty or oxidized card edge connectors are fairly common (though not as bad for the old ones that actually cover up).

I am really surprised at how bad that TV/Game switch is. You might want to pop it open and clean it out. Spray some contact cleaner in it if you have it.