IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2019)

carlsson

Only one modern game for me this week...

GameBoy Advance

Legend of Zelda:  The Minish Cap - 317 min (Saturday stream.  Got most of the random stuff wrapped up I think...  don't have everything, I'm sure.  Not going for 100% or anything, but I think I'm in pretty good shape for the last dungeon.  Hope to be finishing this game up this Saturday, making it only the third Zelda game I've ever beaten, but we'll see.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 4

PS4

God of War (124 min)

So, I thought I was going to be getting back to GoW after setting it aside a few months ago.  I'm really wishing I hadn't set it aside, I had to relearn how to fight and the things I learned about puzzule solving in this game was lost and I spent more time wandering around scratching my head as to what I need to do then playing anything.  That was frustrating, so I thought I'd get a side game of something else going at the same time....

XB1

My Time at Portia (1704 min)

...and, so much for "side game."  This game is similar to Stardew Valley, except you run a workshop instead of a farm.  And it hooked me the same way SV did back when I played that.  Fun game, not perfect, inventory management is a bit clunky, fighting is fairly simplistic and feels a bit grindy.  But it's certainly addictive.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Agamon said:

PS4

God of War (124 min)

So, I thought I was going to be getting back to GoW after setting it aside a few months ago.  I'm really wishing I hadn't set it aside, I had to relearn how to fight and the things I learned about puzzule solving in this game was lost and I spent more time wandering around scratching my head as to what I need to do then playing anything.  That was frustrating, so I thought I'd get a side game of something else going at the same time....

XB1

My Time at Portia (1704 min)

...and, so much for "side game."  This game is similar to Stardew Valley, except you run a workshop instead of a farm.  And it hooked me the same way SV did back when I played that.  Fun game, not perfect, inventory management is a bit clunky, fighting is fairly simplistic and feels a bit grindy.  But it's certainly addictive.

Wow - I considered playing both of these games this week - coincidence . . .

My wife played a game in Gamepass called Graveyard Keeper which is also similar to Stardew Valley.  If you get bored with Portia, give it a try!

• Like 3

Ineligible

AH-3 Thunderstrike (Sega CD) - 44 minutes

Pac-Man (Arcade, played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 25 minutes

World's Smallest Tiny Arcade: Pac-Man (Dedicated Handheld) - 21 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Darkwood - 1,005 minutes

Fox n Forests - 280 minutes

Outlast II - 155 minutes

Pac-Man Vs. (Played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 15 minutes

PAW Patrol: On a Roll! - 60 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,605 minutes (26 hours 45 minutes) [1,515 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,515 minutes

Sega CD: 44 minutes

Arcade: 25 minutes

Dedicated Handheld 21 minutes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wongojack said:

Wow - I considered playing both of these games this week - coincidence . . .

My wife played a game in Gamepass called Graveyard Keeper which is also similar to Stardew Valley.  If you get bored with Portia, give it a try!

My wife has Graveyard Keeper on Steam *and* now the Switch, lol.  She loves it.

Edit:  I'm not going to be able to get my times posted for the previous week- stuff just too crazy at work today.  :(

• Like 2

Week 28

Top games

1. My Time at Portia (Xbox One) - 1704 min.
2. Darkwood (Switch) - 1005 min.
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 696 min.
4. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA) - 317 min.
5. Fox 'n Forests (Switch) - 280 min.
6. Overcooked II (Xbox One) - 265 min.
7. Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One) - 247 min.
8. NHL 19 (Xbox One) - 240 min.
9. Outlast II (Switch) - 155 min.
10. God of War (PS4) - 124 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3216 min.
2. Switch - 1515 min.
3. GBA - 317 min.
4. PS4 - 124 min.
5. PC - 106 min.
6. Dedicated Handheld - 21 min.

Total 5299 minutes and 15 different games on 6 different systems.

Last week's winner Darkwood is down to 2nd place as My Time at Portia storms into the lead this week. It helps the Xbox One to dominate the systems list. Also I opted to include the World's Smallest Tiny Arcade as a modern game, not knowing if those devices contain a full ROM emulation of the original arcade games or reimplementations. I tried to look it up with limited success.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Also I opted to include the World's Smallest Tiny Arcade as a modern game, not knowing if those devices contain a full ROM emulation of the original arcade games or reimplementations. I tried to look it up with limited success.

That seems like a reasonable call. As far as I can tell the World's Smallest Tiny Arcade line have their own unique versions of the games on them that are very similar to the arcade originals but run a little slower and more choppy. They're really close to the original arcade versions, but not exact.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (July 15th through 21st)...

Android phone:

McDonalds treasure hunt - 2 min.

McDonalds has a new game in their app, which is a treasure hunt and actually feels very much like another game they had some months ago in that again you have to hop from stop to stop and collect golden coins (this time). The last time you were an Easter bunny and had to collect eggs, I think. So the graphics and the main character have changed, but the game principle hasn't changed much.

• Like 4

he's back (yes he's back)- I was able to get some Switch time in this week with the welcome addition of a couple of midweek vacation days. 

My 'new' game I picked up on Friday was Dragon Quest Builders 2- it's a fantastic meld of Minecraft-style crafting, Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon, and Dragon Quest RPGs.  The town-building in a way reminded me of the Dark Cloud series on PS2.  Remember those? lol

I also picked up a couple hours in Octopath starting my 3rd(!) playthrough but still haven't finished it.  This game is fast becoming my 'Skyrim' on the Switch.

Switch:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 -- 1347 minutes

Octopath Traveler -- 120 minutes

• Like 3

Only one "modern" game for me this week... 

GameBoy Advance

The Legend of Zelda:  The Minish Cap (emulated) - 184 min (Finished!  I didn't get it 100%, as there are a lot of sidequest things that I didn't finish, but the main story is done.  They tricked me on the final boss, though.  Thought I was done... but then a third form.  lol...  when I finally did get Vaati killed, I was down to like a couple hearts and no more milk or fairies.  Cutting it close, but got it eventually.  Only the third Zelda game I ever beat.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 4

My gameplay lately has been weird, and this week is no exception:

Global Eagle in-flight entertainment system (Android?):
Eye 2 Eye - 90 min.
Pic-Fix - 20 min.
Solitaire Classic - 115 min.
Sudoku Classic - 125 min.
World Wise - 20 min.

I think this IFE may use an Android-based platform, even if the Global Eagle website's listing of "HTML5 Wireless Airgames" (which more or less matches what was available on the flight) doesn't specify it. But Eye 2 Eye was once installable on Android though it seems to have been pulled, so I'm guessing that's the OS.

Anyway, I played my way through these diversions, useful as a distraction during a mildly turbulent trans-Atlantic flight. In four of them I got whatever passed for a win -- the fastest time on Pic-Fix, the 3-card draw setting in Solitaire, the hardest puzzle level in Sudoku, and a perfect score on the silly trivia game World Wise (which tells us that it's considered good luck in the United States to let the cat enter your new home first, who knew?).

The only one I didn't complete was Eye 2 Eye, a puzzle game that starts out pathetically easy but becomes a bit more challenging. With five difficulty levels available, I got through the first three with 21 puzzles each (too many), and got through the first 7 of the fourth (Hard) as we were landing, so I didn't get to see what the highest difficulty level had to offer.

• Like 4

XB1

Borderlands 2 (133 min)

My Life at Portia (1151 min)

Dang, I didn't realize what a commitment MLaP would be when giving it a try. Almost 50 hours in, I've evolved only one relationship to "friend", uncovered about a quarter of the map, and have almost finished Year 1.  I'll keep playing while I enjoy it, though. I gave up on Stardew Valley in late year 2, so I'll see ho far I keep going with this one.

• Like 4

PC

To the Moon 272

X360

Rayman Legends 396

XOne

Batman Arkham Knight  1048

Stern Pinball Arcade 45

What Remains of Edith Finch 136

Well, kind of a big week for me.  Although, we've all seen bigger in my past . . .

Early in the week, I took the time to play the story driven games To the Moon and What Remains of Edith Finch.  These were fine, although I think the story was told better in What Remains . . .  To the Moon ended up being confusing for me as I didn't really understand the motivation behind a late plot point.  I think I would recommend them both however if you like very character and story-heavy games.

Arkham Knight has been a game that I've been meaning to get to for some time.  I really like it as I did its predecessors.  It seemed to get some not-so-positive reviews when it came out.  I'm not sure why exactly except that perhaps the old saying that bigger isn't always better might be true.  There is A LOT of stuff to do in this game.

Raymand Legends . . . I've played lots of Rayman games over the years.  I think my favorite is Rayman 2.  Although Rayman Origins was very good.  This game is very good too, but the Rayman series manages to do something that seems almost impossible.  The strengths of the game are somehow simultaneously the weaknesses.  For example, they manage to create unique and interesting characters, but then they try to pawn off different variations of those characters as new unlockables.  In reality, all the characters play exactly the same way and are just skins on one single character.  It is still impossible to hate those characters as they are all expertly animated, voiced, and thought through.  I just seem to love and hate them all at the same time . . . The same goes with the general gameplay and design of the levels.  It seems that in every level I'm confronted with some powerful moments of joy where the controls and design come together to really deliver a great gameplay experience.  However, it is almost without fail that in the next level, I have to play through some memorization-heavy section that makes me swear I will never play it again no matter what.  The whole experience generally leaves me with memories of being satisfied, but I can't get past a nagging feeling that the game somehow equals less than the overall sum of its parts.

• Like 4

Apologies for being super late this week, the tablet that I do all my online stuff on died today and I spent the last 11 hours scrambling to recover what I could from it (including my household's play time log for the week) and transfer it all over to a new tablet. Thankfully I was able to recover everything important to me, so here's my household's times for the past week! :)

Ineligible

Battlecorps (Sega CD) - 93 minutes

Mega Bomberman (Sega Genesis) - 247 minutes 

Metal Head (Sega 32X) - 222 minutes

Pac-Man (Arcade, played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Switch) - 5 minutes

Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis) - 120 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Darkwood - 110 minutes
Dust: An Elysian Tail - 225 minutes

1,022 minutes (17 hours 2 minutes) [335 minutes eligible]

Sega Genesis: 367 minutes
Nintendo Switch: 335 minutes
Sega 32X: 222 minutes
Sega CD: 93 minutes
Arcade: 5 minutes

• Like 3

Week 29

Top games

1. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) - 1347 min.
2. My Time at Portia (Xbox One) - 1151 min.
3. Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One) - 1048 min.
4. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 602 min.
5. NHL 19 (Xbox One) - 590 min.
6. Rayman Legends (Xbox 360) - 396 min.
7. To the Moon (PC) - 272 min.
8. Dust: An Elysian Tail (Switch) - 225 min.
9. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA) - 184 min.
10. What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox One) - 136 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3705 min.

2. Switch - 1802 min.
3. Xbox 360 - 396 min.
4. Global Eagle In-Flight Entertainment System - 370 min.
5. PC - 272 min.
6. GBA - 184 min.
7. Android Phone - 2 min.

Total 6731 minutes and 20 different games on 7 different systems.

In a strong Xbox One week (55% of the total minutes), there still is a Switch game that takes the individual title in form of Dragon Quest Builders 2. Though it doesn't make the list of top games, we have yet another in-flight system which due to we don't know exactly which OS it runs, is listed separately.

• Like 3

It was a pretty small week for gaming around here this past week, but there was still a bit of fun to be had. :)

OQTURTl.jpg

Nintendo Switch

Dust: An Elysian Tail - 40 minutes

Fox n Forests - 195 minutes

Raiden V: Director's Cut - 475 minutes

710 minutes (11 hours 50 minutes) [710 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 710 minutes

Not a whole lot of variety this week with all the games played around here being on the Nintendo Switch, but they were all great games. Now that I've got a physical copy of Dust: An Elysian Tail I started in on a second play through of it, and I also got around to finally finishing up Fox n Forests with 100% completion this past week. Admittedly I did have to use a guide to find some of the especially well hidden collectibles, but I didn't really mind since I was able to find 95% of the items in the game on my own. 

The big gaming highlight around here for the week though was Raiden V: Director's Cut, which just came out on Thursday. I had preordered the limited edition physical version of the game from Best Buy a few weeks ago and was there to pick it up on launch day, and let me tell you it was worth the wait! It's classic Raiden through and through, but with a proper voice acted storyline, modern HD graphics, a life bar, and some new weapon options this time around. The only complaint I could really make about the game is that it gives you unlimited continues and you always start exactly where you left off when you continue, so aside from having your score reset there is zero punishment for failure on any difficulty setting. 

Aside from the unlimited continues, Raiden V is definitely no slouch in the difficulty department though. In order to finish the game on Easy difficulty I had to use a good 10 or 12 continues the first time I played through it, though now that I've beaten the game a few times I am getting a lot better at it and can get through the first 3 of 8 stages without using any continues. Replaying the game has been tons of fun too, since there's quite a few branching paths for each level after the first one depending on your performance as well as 3 different ships and 9 weapons to choose from, and 6 different endings to get so there's a lot replay value to be had here. Even Mrs. Jin had fun playing through Raiden V on her own once, and the 2 player simultaneous mode coupled with the unlimited continues makes it a great game for two player couch co-op play. 

In short, if you're a fan of the classic Raiden games or old school vertical scrolling shoot 'em ups in general then you can't go wrong with Raiden V: Director's Cut on the Switch, it was definitely the game of the week around here this past week! That's all for this week, so until next week best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, digdugnate said:

All Switch this week- I'm still plowing through Dragon Quest Builders 2, but I sunk a few hours into Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 last night.

Switch:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 -- 1902 minutes

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order -- 184 minutes

How is MUA3?  Does it compare to the previous games well?  What does it do new?

• Like 2