IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2019)

carlsson

20 minutes ago, wongojack said:

How is MUA3?  Does it compare to the previous games well?  What does it do new?

I think if you've played the first two MUA games it's pretty close but with some QoL improvements.  It seems like a bit of customization to your heroes was cut out, though, strictly comparing to the other two games. 

I do really like the progression system for stats and the 'Infinity Rift' challenge-type stuff.  It feels like kind of a combination of the MUA games and Gazillion's Marvel Heroes MMO (before the studio was shuttered). 

The graphics are snappy and the controls IMO are pretty tight.  The sound effects are pretty satisfying and usually there's lots of objects to destroy and hidden treasure boxes to find.  I haven't really gotten a good feel for synergies and stuff yet, but I've been experimenting a little with the heroes you start out with and some of the ones I've picked up.  It kinda feels like a bummer that they mashed Groot and Rocket together as one character because I would rather have them separate but that's pretty nitpicky stuff.

I did have my ego checked a bit into the game because I was playing on the 'Mighty' difficulty instead of 'Friendly'- I did really good up to fighting Mysterio and then he pasted me like three times in a row.  The game actually does ask you if you get wasted on a boss fight if you'd like to start the fight over on the lower difficulty setting, lol.

My HUGE complaint with MUA3 is the godawful camera system they use for tracking the characters and really a lack of 'lock' onto a bad guy.  There is a second camera mode called 'Heroic' that you can use to kind of narrow down the field of view and lock onto the baddie you're wanting to target that feels a little better, but I haven't played with it a whole lot yet. 

Some fights feel a little busy (as an example the Bullseye fight takes place with a bunch of glass cases- it's hard to manage everything on screen at the same time)- I really wish they would've opted for a more top-down Diablo-style fixed camera instead of it spazzing and going all over the place.  I'm not sure we'd buy another separate copy of the game right now, but it's really cool to see that on the Switch I could do local co-op with two Switches so we both didn't have to suffer through the camera.  ;)

Overall, I think if you like the MUA games and some good old-fashioned button mashing with not a whole lot of emphasis on serious plots it's a good game. 

One thing that did make me feel pretty stupid was that when you load up the game, it says to 'Press + to start game'- it took me five minutes of mashing the d-pad before I realized I was being a knucklehead and that meant 'press the Start button, you moron' lol

• Like 2

XB1

Blazing Chrome (17 min)

My Time at Portia (1329 min)

Still plowing away at MtaP. It has a grindy-ness to it, but it's not too bad and there's new things to discover.  Blazing Chrome is an interesting Contra-style game that I need to dig into some more.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Agamon said:

XB1

Blazing Chrome (17 min)

My Time at Portia (1329 min)

Still plowing away at MtaP. It has a grindy-ness to it, but it's not too bad and there's new things to discover.  Blazing Chrome is an interesting Contra-style game that I need to dig into some more.

My wife just picked Portia up on her Switch after waffling for a while about it- she seemed to really like what she played last night.

• Like 2

Week 30

Top games

1. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) - 1902 min.
2. My Time at Portia (Xbox One) - 1329 min.
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1162 min.
4. Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One) - 672 min.
5. Raiden V: Director's Cut (Switch) - 475 min.
6. Fox 'n Forests (Switch) - 195 min.
7. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch) - 184 min.
8. Dust: An Elysian Tail (Switch) - 40 min.
9. Rayman Legends (Xbox 360) - 38 min.
10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 20 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3180 min.
2. Switch - 2796 min.
3. Xbox 360 - 38 min.
4. Wii - 20 min.
5. PC - 15 min.

Total 6049 minutes and 12 different games on 5 different systems.

The top duo from last week remains unchanged, Dragon Quest Builders 2 followed by My Time at Portia. Actually 6 of the 10 have survived from last week, almost making this into a chart. System wise little has changed too, same three systems on top as last week.

• Like 2

My Modern Game time is a little weird because of work travel Thursday and Friday- still plugging along in DQ Builders 2 and Marvel UA 3, though.  Not playing much else :)

The left yellow joycon on my switch finally bit the big one after about 5 months of play.  Through a screw-up of Gamestop's, though, I have 'warranty' on this one so I'll be replacing that set tomorrow.  I do have my Pro Controller and a red/blue set of joycons in the meantime.

Switch:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 -- 986 minutes

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order -- 670 minutes

• Like 2

While the Nintendo Switch once again got most of the love around here this past week, I still made a little time for classic gaming and got an Atari joystick back in my hands for the first time in a while. :)

l9Ne8M2.jpg

Ineligible

Doom (Sony PlayStation) - 103 minutes

Mortal Kombat II (Nintendo Game Boy) - 17 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 15 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition (Nintendo Game Boy Color) - 14 minutes

Solar Striker (Nintendo Game Boy) - 33 minutes

Nintendo Switch 

DOOM (Nintendo Switch) - 405 minutes

Doom 3 (Nintendo Switch) - 680 minutes

Horizon Chase Turbo (Nintendo Switch) - 175 minutes 

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,442 minutes (24 hours 2 minutes) [1,260 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,260 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 103 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy: 50 minutes

Atari 2600: 15 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy Color: 14 minutes

The big games for the week in my household were a trio of Nintendo Switch titles, including the 2016 DOOM reboot along with the recently released Switch port of 2012's Doom 3: BFG Edition, and the stellar classic arcade style racing game Horizon Chase Turbo that just got a physical release on the Switch last week. I started off the week playing DOOM, but after a little pondering decided to download and try out Doom 3 rather than finish a 4th play through of DOOM. 

It ended up being a good choice, because at 7 hours I'm still having a total blast playing Doom 3 again for the first time in about a decade. The new Switch port of Doom 3 is a bit different than the original version I played back in the Xbox days, on account of now having your flashlight mounted to your armor rather than it being a handheld affair, so you can now use the flashlight and a weapon simultaneously. It might not sound like a big change but it definitely makes the game feel significantly different to play, and while it does lower the feeling of tension and dread creeping around the darkened tunnels of the Mars base quite a bit it's also really convenient to not have to constantly switch back and forth between your flashlight and a weapon. I've got mixed feelings on the change and do wish they would have included an option to play the game the original way, but other than the flashlight issue it's a solid port and still very much Doom 3 in every respect. 

While I've been working my way through Doom 3 the misses got back to her game of Doom on the PlayStation this past week, blasting through another half a dozen or so levels, and then we both played a fair bit of Horizon Chase Turbo on the Switch. I don't generally get into racing games because they often require major time investments making a character or customizing cars, sitting through some long story, or learning all the subtle nuances of a complicated control scheme, but this one feels just like you walked up to a racing game arcade machine back in the 90's and plunked in a couple quarters. It's fast and simple to jump into, has a beautifully clean cel-shaded visual style and catchy music, easy to use controls, 100+ tracks and dozens of cars to unlock, and the races only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete. Horizon Chase Turbo has been a big hit with everyone around here and I'm sure it's a game we'll be filling lots of a little snippets of free time here and there with whenever we have some downtime. 

Rounding out the week I pulled my backlit original Game Boy out of it's case for the first time in a few months to play some old favorites, and with the next season of the Atari 2600 High Score Club starting in a week and a half or so I felt like it was a good time pick up an Atari joystick and fire up the Light Sixer again last night. I only played one game of Ms. Pac-Man, but it was still just as enjoyable as ever and I'm seriously looking forward to playing some more Atari in the weeks to come.

I think that just about covers everything for this week, so until next time and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

XB1

My Time at Portia (587 min)

Pandemic: The Board Game (197 min)

Started the week off with some more Portia. Not done with it yet, and I'm closing in on the endgame, but I've spent a lot of time with it, with all the resource collecting, building, exploring, learning things from NPCs, and a bit of fighting, and decided to try something different this weekend. Pandemic was one of the new games on GamePass. I don't like it as a co-op board game, it's too easy for one person to take over and just tell everyone else what their optimal decision should be.  So this version works better as a one player puzzle type of game.

PC

No Man's Sky (615 min)

Picked this up during a recent sale, as I've heard it has improved a great deal since its launch.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It has resource collecting, building, exploring, learning things from NPCs, and a bit of fighting...hmmm, that sounds familiar.  But, hey, now I have a space ship, so there's that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Agamon said:

I don't like it as a co-op board game, it's too easy for one person to take over and just tell everyone else what their optimal decision should be.  So this version works better as a one player puzzle type of game.

Great tip!  That's my problem with the game too.  I think I'll try the software version.

• Like 2

Week 31

Top games

1. Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One) - 1453 min.
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) - 986 min.
3. Doom 3 (Switch) - 680 min.
4. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch) - 670 min.
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 622 min.
6. No Man's Sky (PC) - 615 min.
7. My Time at Portia (Xbox One) - 587 min.
8. DOOM (Switch) - 405 min.
9. Gauntlet Dark Legacy (Gamecube) - 376 min.
10. Pandemic: The Board Game (Xbox One) - 197 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 2948 min.
2. Switch - 2916 min.
3. PC - 715 min.
4. Gamecube - 379 min.
5. Xbox 360 - 184 min.
7. iOS - 40 min.
8. GBA - 5 min.

Total 7187 minutes and 20 different games on 7 different systems.

Arkham Knight is the "only" game to exceed 1000 minutes this week, awarding it first place, ahead of a trio of Switch games. It is a close call about the most played system, but the Xbox One just barely takes the title. As you may notice, we got a late entry from BuckoBrand which adds some Apple flavor to the list for once in a while.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Here are my times for this week (August 5th through 11th) on modern systems:

Android:

McDonalds treasure hunt - 6 min.

Due to the hot weather, I only played a single game this week, and only for 6 minutes. It's McDonalds treasure hunt which you can play through their app... the playfield keeps on scrolling down and you have to tap on islands in order to have your avatar jump from island to island and collect pieces of the treasure map. Actually I don't know if the exact English title is correct because I'm playing the German version.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
Improved formatting
  • Like 3

My times for the week:

GameCube:
Die Hard: Vendetta - 2 min.
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - 327 min.

Some of those levels in Dark Legacy get looooong. Fun to play through the game with my wife, though; she loves Gauntlet Legends and this is so similar that it's almost like an expansion pack.

• Like 4

All right, all right, all right . . . This weekend was the Let's Play Gaming Expo here in DFW, and I played a lot of different games.  Check out my post in the classic tracker for even more details and pictures.

The Dallas Society of Play brought in more than a dozen indie developers who showed off some of their completed games as well as various WIPs.  It was neat to sit down with young devs as they showed off their games and explained them as I played a level or two.  They were all SUPER nice, and I was particularly impressed with a released game called Depixtion.

PC

Bark City Brawl 7 (wip by raindelay)

Carpathian Nights 15 (wip by Tezcatek)

Depixtion 10 (by Dev Hour)

Stargirl Super Emma  (wip by Dog Theory)

Train Wreck 5 (wip by lost box)

v1.6 million 15 (wip by boxhead pixel art)

WiiU

Sinister Assistant 7 (by Dolphin)

Dolphin apparently has a series of games on the Wii U that are all very NES-like.  The dev was there and talked me through the first level of this one.  He mentioned he was working to port his games to the Switch soon.

Meanwhile, this week at home:

XOne

Pandemic the Board Game 323

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, wongojack said:

PC

Do you have any figure for Stargirl Super Emma? I tried to lookup boxhead pixel art and found a twitter flow with lots of WIP screenshots but no name of the game, so I suppose the latter is an unnamed game still under development.

Also I found that the arcade game Space Paranoids [Deluxe] was made in 2008 so I moved it here.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wongojack said:

All right, all right, all right . . . This weekend was the Let's Play Gaming Expo here in DFW, and I played a lot of different games.  Check out my post in the classic tracker for even more details and pictures.

The Dallas Society of Play brought in more than a dozen indie developers who showed off some of their completed games as well as various WIPs.  It was neat to sit down with young devs as they showed off their games and explained them as I played a level or two.  They were all SUPER nice, and I was particularly impressed with a released game called Depixtion.

PC

Bark City Brawl 7 (wip by raindelay)

Carpathian Nights 15 (wip by Tezcatek)

Depixtion 10 (by Dev Hour)

Train Wreck 5 (wip by lost box)

WiiU

Sinister Assistant 7 (by Dolphin)

Dolphin apparently has a series of games on the Wii U that are all very NES-like.  The dev was there and talked me through the first level of this one.  He mentioned he was working to port his games to the Switch soon.

Meanwhile, this week at home:

XOne

Pandemic the Board Game 323

That sounds really fun! I was in Dallas last week, but only Thurs-Fri as a turn-and-burn for work.  No time for games!  ?

• Like 3

I did manage to get some quality Switch time in before and after my work trip last week- made a tiny bit more progress on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and finished out the story in Dragon Quest Builders 2! 

I will admit that I was more emotionally engaged with some of the DQB2 characters than I anticipated- some of the earlier stuff can be a little slow going but the last 3/4 of the game is just brilliant IMO.  I'm looking forward to exploring now and filling out some of the things that I wasn't able to do before.   If you were put off a little by the first game or enjoy building-type/RPG games, you owe it to yourself to at least try out the demo.

Switch:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 -- 1381 minutes

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order -- 194 minutes

• Like 3

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

Do you have any figure for Stargirl Super Emma? I tried to lookup boxhead pixel art and found a twitter flow with lots of WIP screenshots but no name of the game, so I suppose the latter is an unnamed game still under development.

Also I found that the arcade game Space Paranoids [Deluxe] was made in 2008 so I moved it here.

I didn't actually PLAY Stargirl Super Emma, but I did watch someone play almost the entire demo.  I meant to remove it from my list.  As for v1.6 Million, it is definitely just a working name.  It was a very early demo too.

Interesting about Space Paranoids.  I never considered including it with the modern tracker.  You made me realize that I think all the games by Rogue Synapse are actually post-2000.  That means Starfighter and Space Paranoids should both go into the Modern Tracker as well.  I wonder now about that Polybius cab . . . I'm pretty sure that was also made by Rogue Synapse.

• Like 2

PC

No Man's Sky (1758 min)

This game is a lot of fun. I looked up what it stared as, and what each update added to it, and the progression is pretty unreal.  A big update is coming on Wednesday for VR, multiplayer, and QoL changes. Hello Games really deserves kudos for keeping at it and turning a pretty-looking, but dull, launch game into a great space sim/base building/open world(s) style of game.

• Like 4

Late to the party this week on account of Monday being a rough day medically speaking, but here's my household's times for the past week: 

Ineligible (All Atari 2600)

Alien - 5 minutes

Commando - 5 minutes

DK Arcade 2600 - 47 minutes

Dungeon - 22 minutes

Frankenstein's Monster - 41 minutes

Front Line - 11 minutes

Gremlins - 8 minutes

Ikari Warriors - 6 minutes

Joust - 26 minutes

Millipede - 17 minutes

New Pac-Man (8K Version) - 27 minutes