IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

It was a very small week for gaming around here this past week, possibly the smallest week my household has had in the last couple years.

yY1n704.jpg

PC-DOS (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)
The Ultimate Doom - 163 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider II - 190 minutes

Sega Genesis
Thunder Force III - 126 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
479 minutes (7 hours 59 minutes) [479 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 190 minutes
PC-DOS: 163 minutes
Sega Genesis: 126 minutes

With only three games played and just 2 or 3 hours logged in each there's not going to be a whole lot to talk about this week. First the misses got a copy of Thunder Force III for the Sega Genesis in the mail, which we sat down and played together until we had each beaten the game on normal difficulty. I used to own a copy of Thunder Force III a few years back before I did a big collection liquidation and it was always my favorite horizontal scrolling shooter on any system ever, so it was totally cool of her to buy another copy of it. She's never been big into shoot 'em up games but she ended up having quite a bit of fun with this one, which isn't surprising since the low difficulty level makes Thunder Force III it a an excellent entry point for people who aren't too familiar with the genre and the game just plays marvelously. Great graphics, great music, a nice power-up selection, and a generous amount of extra lives and continues.

Next up the misses logged few hours in Tomb Raider II, beating three or four more levels this week, then I finally got around to finishing up The Ultimate Doom via emulation on the Wii. I always play through at least one version of Doom every year, and the classic DOS original with the addition of the 4th episode Thy Flesh Consumed is always a good choice. At this point I've beaten every version of Doom on Ultra Violence difficulty so many times that it's a very routine by-the-numbers sort of experience playing through it, but I still have fun and enjoy my yearly excursion through the martian hellscape.

Well, I think that's all I've got to talk about this week! Who knows, maybe next week will be a bit more exciting. Until then, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 7

Sega Genesis

Thunder Force III - 126 minutes

With only three games played and just 2 or 3 hours logged in each there's not going to be a whole lot to talk about this week. First the misses got a copy of Thunder Force III for the Sega Genesis in the mail, which we sat down and played together until we had each beaten the game on normal difficulty. I used to own a copy of Thunder Force III a few years back before I did a big collection liquidation and it was always my favorite horizontal scrolling shooter on any system ever, so it was totally cool of her to buy another copy of it. She's never been big into shoot 'em up games but she ended up having quite a bit of fun with this one, which isn't surprising since the low difficulty level makes Thunder Force III it a an excellent entry point for people who aren't too familiar with the genre and the game just plays marvelously. Great graphics, great music, a nice power-up selection, and a generous amount of extra lives and continues.

Thunder Force III is one of my favorite games on the system, but it's been a while since I really sat down to play it much. I've never beaten it though... it has a reputation for being an easy shooter, but I have a reputation as sucking at shooters. lol I also have Thunder Spirits for the SNES. Pretty much the same game except 1. You have to turn on auto-fire as it's not turned on by default, 2. You don't get to choose the order of the stages, and 3. SNES slowdown makes some parts easier (debatable).

I have Thunder Force 2, also, but it's quite a bit harder, I believe. I'm certainly not as good at it, but I've also spent less time on it.

I've played Lightening Force in emulation, but I cringe at the idea of spending money on something with that spelling mistake of a title. :D

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 02, running from January 7 - 13. We logged 4235 minutes of eligible play, playing 82 games on a total of 23 systems.

Top 10:

1. Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (NES/Famicom) - 382 min.
2. Final Fantasy (NES/Famicom) - 231 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 212 min.
4. Chimera (Watara SuperVision) - 190 min.
4. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 190 min.
6. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 188 min.
7. Ultimate Doom, The (PC (DOS)) - 163 min.
8. Thunder Force III (Genesis) - 126 min.
9. Final Fight (SNES) - 120 min.
9. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 120 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 212 min.
2. Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar (Apple II) - 120 min.
3. Burgertime (Arcade) - 78 min.
4. Indoor Soccer (TI-99/4A) - 70 min.
5. Reindeer Rescue (Atari 2600) - 69 min.
5. Spider Fighter (Atari 2600) - 69 min.
7. Defender (Atari 2600) - 66 min.
8. Baby Pac-Man [Visual PinMAME] (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 65 min. (*)
9. Gingerbread Man (Atari 2600) - 62 min.
10. Melody Blaster (Intellivision) - 60 min.
10. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 60 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (711)
2. NES/Famicom (635)
3. SNES (568)
4. Dreamcast (298)
5. TI-99/4A (275)
6. TG-16/PC Engine (247)
7. MSX (205)
8. Watara SuperVision (195)
9. PlayStation (190)
10. PC (DOS) (163)

An unusually post-crash heavy week, at least when it comes to the overall top list which is dominated by two NES games. Solar Fox turns out to be the only pre-crash game to make that list, which also means it takes the top spot on the second list, and the Atari 2600 with a small but clear margin is the most played system.

Our friend Kaboom! only logs 8 minutes this week which puts it very far down the list, but surely it will rise to new records later on.

When it comes to the 1000 Minute Club, there is one new entry in form of Spider Fighter (Atari 2600) which has logged 1026 minutes and is awarded #356. Another four games played this week are within 100 minutes from joining the club, close but no cigar!

• Like 8

My 13 year old and I took advantage of today's snow by playing tons of games on the NES.

NES:

Super Mario Bros - 47 minutes (he loves this game)

Punch Out - 46 minutes (I love this game)

Ice Climber - 10 minutes (neither of us particularly liked this game)

Donkey Kong - 14 minutes

Star Tropics - 16 minutes

Pacman - 5 minutes

Mario Bros - 4 minutes (he made a snarky comment about this certainly not being 'super')

Balloon Fight - 8 minutes (we both enjoyed this one quite a bit)

Donkey Kong Jr. 8 minutes

Metroid - 6 minutes

Ghosts and Goblins - 4 minutes

Kid Icarus - 7 minutes

Super Mario Bros 2 - 8 minutes

Super Mario Bros 3 - 5 minutes

Excitebike - 25 minutes (he enjoyed creating his own tracks)

Gradius - 5 minutes

Kirby's Adventure - 7 minutes

Bubble Bobble - 3 minutes (I though I would like this one more)

Galaga - 6 minutes (I need to go back and compare it to the 7800 port)

Lots of fun!

• Like 8

My 13 year old and I took advantage of today's snow by playing tons of games on the NES.

NES:

Super Mario Bros - 47 minutes (he loves this game)

Punch Out - 46 minutes (I love this game)

Ice Climber - 10 minutes (neither of us particularly liked this game)

Donkey Kong - 14 minutes

Star Tropics - 16 minutes

Pacman - 5 minutes

Mario Bros - 4 minutes (he made a snarky comment about this certainly not being 'super')

Balloon Fight - 8 minutes (we both enjoyed this one quite a bit)

Donkey Kong Jr. 8 minutes

Metroid - 6 minutes

Ghosts and Goblins - 4 minutes

Kid Icarus - 7 minutes

Super Mario Bros 2 - 8 minutes

Super Mario Bros 3 - 5 minutes

Excitebike - 25 minutes (he enjoyed creating his own tracks)

Gradius - 5 minutes

Kirby's Adventure - 7 minutes

Bubble Bobble - 3 minutes (I though I would like this one more)

Galaga - 6 minutes (I need to go back and compare it to the 7800 port)

Lots of fun!

Balloon Fight is one of those games that you don't expect to be any good but it turns out lot of fun- though i'm not wild about the sound of the characters 'flying', lol. It kinda reminds me of Joust :)

• Like 6

ATARI 2600:

Asteroids - 212 minutes

Barnstorming (for HSC) - 15 minutes

Boxing (for HSC) - 5 minutes

Freeway (for HSC) - 6 minutes

Grand Prix (for HSC) - 4 minutes

Mario Bros. - 60 minutes

Solar Fox - 50 minutes

Spider Fighter (for HSC) - 26 minutes

The Activision Decathlon (for HSC) - 4 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My scores on 2600 Asteroids. This week I played Games 33-B, 33-A, 1-A, 1-B, 2-A, 2-B, 3-A and 4-A

And I got my new score on Game 4, Difficulty A - 53,130 points

post-24681-0-44602900-1548005137_thumb.jpg

post-24681-0-40616100-1548005176_thumb.jpg

2) Barnstorming gameplay footage (Game 3), presented for 2600 NEW HSC Season 8, Weeks 16 and 17 (Activision Quickies)

• Like 7

Balloon Fight is one of those games that you don't expect to be any good but it turns out lot of fun- though i'm not wild about the sound of the characters 'flying', lol. It kinda reminds me of Joust :)

I mentioned that to my son (he's never played Joust). We put that on our list of games to play when we have a 2600 night.

We played each game for awhile, gave it a grade and then looked up the review from the Video Game Critic. Our grades were generally similar to what he and readers gave (although we weren't as generous for Super Mario Bros 2 & 3) and many of our comments were noted in the writeup. My 13 year old is unique. He rarely plays newer games but loves playing games from the NES and Atari. He's excited to get back to the Final Fantasy quest that we began with my brother last weekend.

• Like 6

Intellivison:

Super Pro Football- 25 min

LV Blackjack & Poker - 35 min

Chip Shot Golf- 15 min

AD&D Treasure of Tarmin- 45 min

Space Battle - 10 min

AD&D - Cloudy Mountain - 15 min

Bomb Squad - 15 min

B-17 Bomber - 20 min

TRON Deadly Discs - 10 min

NES:

Super Mario 2 - 50 min

Tecmo Bowl - 20 min

Golf - 35 min

Raid on Bungeling Bay - 10 min

Commodore 64:

Bruce Lee - 25 min

Winter Games - 15 min

Raid on Bungeling Bay - 30 min

Drol- 10 min

Dino Eggs - 15 min

All on Retropie.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 9

Just finished up SMS Phantasy Star Re-retranslated version. Spent about 20 hours playing it. One of my all time favorite games so I really didn't want to rush it...(played on the Genesis Mega Everdrive via SCART into my Framemeister, almost pixel perfect on my 4k tv)

What a wonderful experience :)

Edited by TheCoolDave
  • Like 9

Here are my times for this past week (January 14th through 20th)...

Atari 2600:

Chaotic Grill (WIP) - 15 min.

Giana Bros. - 5 min.

Go Fish! - 10 min.

Pac-Man 8K - 10 min.

Atari 7800:

Baby Pac-Man (WIP?) - 41 min. in 3 sessions

I hope I got the names of this week's games right... today a new update of Chaotic Grill was put up which improves the enemy movement code. On Pac-Man 8K, I tried out how playing Baby Pac-Man for a long time has affected my general Pac-Man skills. As for Baby Pac-Man itself, when I played it, it was thought to be the final version, and I actually felt guilty for downloading and playing it because it shouldn't have been offered for download at all had I not stepped in, and finally Bob quit after throwing out the "final version" under protest, but has meanwhile come back. Otherwise maybe I would have played some of the games for longer, but I felt guilty for playing them at all.

• Like 8

Just finished up SMS Phantasy Star Re-retranslated version. Spent about 20 hours playing it. One of my all time favorite games so I really didn't want to rush it...(played on the Genesis Mega Everdrive via SCART into my Framemeister, almost pixel perfect on my 4k tv)

What a wonderful experience :)

SMS Phantasy Star was the 1st game I ever put on layaway back then. To me, it was well worth the $75 price then.

Anyways...

5200-

Galaxian 40min

C64-

Galaxion- 22min (clone game, but more playable than Atarisoft version, kinda looks like what the TI version might have been)

Edited by zylon
  • Like 9

Although we didn't get as much snow as the forecast indicated, we had a great time continuing to play NES games. My brother came over to continue our Final Fantasy quest.

NES:

Super Mario Bros - 27 minutes

Castlevania - 16 minutes

Castlevania II - 12 minutes

Super C - 14 minutes

Dr. Mario - 33 minutes

Double Dragon II - 38 minutes

Megan Man II - 12 minutes

Ninja Gaiden - 10 minutes

Tecmo Bowl - 39 minutes

Final Fantasy - 258 minutes (we spent a lot of time battling to level up and get gold)

• Like 8