IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Also, have a question on compilation type games...

For example, I recently got Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and Namco Museum for the PS2. If I play, for example, Ms Pac Man on Namco Museum for PS2, would that get listed under Ms Pac Man Arcade or Ms Pac Man PS2 or even just under Namco Museum for PS2?

I've considered not even mentioning it because it gets confusing on these, I think...

• Like 4

For example, I recently got Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and Namco Museum for the PS2. If I play, for example, Ms Pac Man on Namco Museum for PS2, would that get listed under Ms Pac Man Arcade or Ms Pac Man PS2 or even just under Namco Museum for PS2?

I've considered not even mentioning it because it gets confusing on these, I think...

It would count as Arcade...

• Like 5

It would count as Arcade...

I actually asked carlsson about this a couple weeks ago- he said to mark them as 'Arcade' time for the appropriate time period (Classic or Modern). I've spent some playing Capcom beat-em-ups, so I logged em as Arcade. :)

• Like 4

Yeah, we use to say that if it seems to be an accurate emulator, it goes into the format it emulates. If it seems more like a reimplementation with obvious differences from the original, it would go into the newer format. Compilations are tricky, but usually list each game separately if possible.

Some compilations already in the classic tracker:

Arcade Classic No. 1 - Asteroids & Missile Command (Game Boy)

Arcade Classic No. 2 - Centipede & Millipede (Game Boy)

Arcade Classic No .3 - Galaga & Galaxian (Game Boy)

Arcade Classic - Super Breakout & Battlezone (Game Boy)

Williams Arcade Classics (Game.com)

Arcade Classics (Genesis)

Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits (Genesis)

Namco Museum 64 (Nintendo 64)

Namco Arcade Classics (Philips CD-i)

Sega Classics Arcade Collection 4-in-1 (Sega CD)

Arcade Smash Hits (Sega Master System)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 6

Another would be the Activision Action Pack for the Classic Mac-- although a couple years ago we determined that it was different enough (or perhaps somewhat inaccurate due to sound effects, etc) from the original to consider those games non-Emulation.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (May 26th through June 2nd)...

Arcade:

Gyruss - 85 min. in 4 sessions

Rod-Land - 17 min.

Super Burger Time - 14 min.

Atari 2600:

Chaotic Grill - 8 min.

Gyruss - 8 min.

Ixion - 12 min.

Roc'n'Rope - 9 min.

Commodore 64:

Gyruss - 18 min.

Super Pipeline - 10 min.

This week I mainly continued to play the original version of Gyruss until I reached the last stages (warps to Earth), but there the enemy formations get very hard to avoid, so I didn't manage to complete the trip to Earth. After that, I tried the Atari 2600 port of Gyruss. There the enemies are pretty easy to hit, but the rocks (asteroids?) come at you pretty fast (although they start at a higher score than in the original version) and also killed me pretty fast. The C-64 version is easier overall, also with much slower rocks, but I still got killed by the very first formation on the first warp to Earth.

Other than, I also replayed the C-64 version of Super Pipeline, but didn't get particularly far. In the arcade section, I played Rod-Land after reading about the Amiga version which uses sprite tricks (the scoring panel on the right entirely consists of sprites) and also clever Copper lists on the title screen. I also replayed Super Burger Time, but didn't get very far on it.

On the Atari 2600, other than the games already mentioned, I also replayed Ixion, but in later levels it gets hard to reach all the points you have to reach in order to complete a level because you first have to push the ball to build bridges to where you need to go. I also replayed Chaotic Grill (after not having read any news for months) and surprisingly stumbled on an error where after losing a life the game doesn't go on.

• Like 6

I may play more later but dunno that last mission in Myth took forever lol. Anyway here's my times so far:

Windows 95/98

Enclave - 490min

Myth The Fallen Lords - 300min

I finally beat Enclave for the first time and started on Myth. Holy crap is this game hard lol. But it's fun too as long as you don't expect to just blast through the missions. You really have to take your time and strategize every move. I'll probably be working on this one for awhile.

• Like 7

...well, been a while since I posted in here...

PC (DOS):

Dark Castle - 25 minutes

Sharp X1:

Gradius - 109 minutes

Nothing too exciting but hey, they're games.

Got Dark Castle in while I was fixing up an old IBM PS/2 30-286, makes a pretty nice test game to play with the keyboard and mouse on a system like that anyways. I've always sucked at it, never got farther than the first few screens, but someday I'd love to try and beat it. The X1 is a similar situation, my X1 Twin had a floppy drive go so I wanted to test it on a game I had on floppy. Gradius is really cool, I've never actually beat it until just the other day when I played this version, as man do I suck at shmups. It was cool but I'd say go play a version with an actual controller, this one was nice and fast but you use the numpad like arrow keys which works but I'd imagine anything else is better.

So yeah, I guess it's time to get back on this thread for me... going to keep up the odd stuff just because odd computers are about all I play on nowadays past some newer stuff. I hope by the end of the year I'll be able to log some time for the PDP-11 as that means I got my -11 I'm working on building up and going with a proper storage drive.

• Like 7

Please add -

Windows 95/98

Myth The Fallen Lords - 60min

Ran one more mission and part of another before deciding to take a break for the day

DOS

Last Rites - 20min

This is a old FPS that originally only released in Europe. I bought it on steam and so far it's actually pretty decent despite the bad reviews.

post-39068-0-45702500-1559534582.png

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:
The Addams Family - 198 min.
The Adventures of Gilligan’s Island - 252 min.
Commando - 49 min.
The Little Mermaid - 30 min.
Kid Kool - 2 min.
Major League Baseball - 39 min.
Musashi no Bouken - 152 min.
Whomp ‘em - 65 min.
Beat all these games except Kid Kool (obviously) and Musashi no Bouken. Thoughts on all the games I beat here and here (except The Addams Family).
BTW Musashi no Bouken is also known as The Adventures of Musashi Jr. It's a Famicom-only JRPG (and blatant Dragon Quest clone) that I beat about a decade ago with savestates, and am now beating legit without savestates and in a different fan-translation -- this time by aishsha and Stardust Crusaders. They did a nice scanlation of the manual, though the font choice makes it hard to read.
  • Like 7

We played the 10th installment of our quest to beat Final Fantasy. We're near the end, like going back to the Temple of Fiends and battling everyone one more time to defeat the game, but keep getting our butts kicked. Poisonous dragons can be the worst! It's become obvious that we didn't realize the value of the ribbons to the game. After watching our whole party die a couple of times, we scoured for some hints, learned about the ribbons, equipped ourselves with the proper shield and went back to the dungeon. I'd like to proclaim victory but it's still eluding us. We managed to get deep enough to grab the Pro Ring and Pro Cape but our heal potions were almost down to zero so we had to exit the dungeon, go back to a village and stock back up. Hopefully we won't have to refight the same bosses when we head back down.

Our goal was to beat as many FF games as possible this year. Who knew we were still going to be on #1 lol. We haven't played as much as we originally hoped but it's been lots of fun for my brother, my son (13 y.o.) and me. Although no one would think of Final Fantasy as a multi-player or party game, we've had a couple of nights where the whole family has been gathered around the TV talking about various (non videogame related) things while one of us grinds away to keep leveling up. Hopefully session 11 will be the charm!

NES

Final Fantasy - 108 minutes

• Like 6

Please add -

Windows 95/98

Myth The Fallen Lords - 60min

Ran one more mission and part of another before deciding to take a break for the day

DOS

Last Rites - 20min

This is a old FPS that originally only released in Europe. I bought it on steam and so far it's actually pretty decent despite the bad reviews.

So... does this game have all the files need to run in on a DOS system? I know with a different DOS shooter (Eradicator) actually has a bin and cue file in the Steam release to burn the CD-rom.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 3

So... does this game have all the files need to run in on a DOS system? I know with a different DOS shooter (Eradicator) actually has a bin and cue file in the Steam release to burn the CD-rom.

I didn't think to look. I'll have to check.

Edit - so there is a ISO image in there! I'm burning to disc now and will see if it plays on my older PCs :)

Edit edit - it works! Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 4

Arcade

Berserk 3

Crusin Exotica 17

Defender 26

Karate Champ 7

Star Wars Trilogy 17

Pinball

Elvis

Ironman

kind of a funny- i'm looking at this and my eyes haven't uncrossed yet since i woke up like 45 minutes ago. the word 'Exotica' was NOT what i first read, so i had rub my eyes and do a double take, lol.

Nintendo must've really been branching out in the 90s! ;)

• Like 3