IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Only one game with any time to speak of this week...

Intellivision

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack - 35 min (Hooked up the Intellivision earlier this week and decided to mess around a bit with the Blackjack game. Had to really read the manual to figure out what buttons did what even with the overlays. But it went pretty well. You can switch up the game you're playing after every round. Choices are 5card stud, 7 card stud, 5 card draw, and black jack... at least I think that was what they were... I played mostly Blackjack as I've never been a big poker fan, but I did play a few rounds of 5 card draw. A decent little card game. Very simple, of course. You can choose how big you want your bank to be at the beginning, so you can kind of choose how long you want to play by that. I picked $100 the first time through and went through it all in Blackjack, then picked $200 and kinda mixed it up some between Blackjack and 5 Card Draw. I'm not a big card game fan, so the fact that I stuck with this for 35 min means something... I don't know what... but something. The sound is not much more than beeps and boops and a kind of farting static sound for the card shuffling. I kept expecting my girlfriend to come into the game room and ask, "What's that sound?" lol)

• Like 5

Only one game with any time to speak of this week...

Intellivision

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack - 35 min (Hooked up the Intellivision earlier this week and decided to mess around a bit with the Blackjack game. Had to really read the manual to figure out what buttons did what even with the overlays. But it went pretty well. You can switch up the game you're playing after every round. Choices are 5card stud, 7 card stud, 5 card draw, and black jack... at least I think that was what they were... I played mostly Blackjack as I've never been a big poker fan, but I did play a few rounds of 5 card draw. A decent little card game. Very simple, of course. You can choose how big you want your bank to be at the beginning, so you can kind of choose how long you want to play by that. I picked $100 the first time through and went through it all in Blackjack, then picked $200 and kinda mixed it up some between Blackjack and 5 Card Draw. I'm not a big card game fan, so the fact that I stuck with this for 35 min means something... I don't know what... but something. The sound is not much more than beeps and boops and a kind of farting static sound for the card shuffling. I kept expecting my girlfriend to come into the game room and ask, "What's that sound?" lol)

I played a fair amount of Poker & Blackjack with my best friend when we were growing up. Your post reminded me of us trying to "naturally" create the card shuffling sound.

• Like 4

It's a good thing I wasn't playing with/against another human. In poker, you can press the disc to check your cards. You're supposed to ask the other players to look away while you do it so they won't see your cards. But there seems to be an issue with my controller, because I was trying to press the enter key (bottom right of the keypad) and it kept showing my cards like I was hitting the disc. Might need to be taken apart and cleaned or something...

• Like 4

It's a good thing I wasn't playing with/against another human. In poker, you can press the disc to check your cards. You're supposed to ask the other players to look away while you do it so they won't see your cards. But there seems to be an issue with my controller, because I was trying to press the enter key (bottom right of the keypad) and it kept showing my cards like I was hitting the disc. Might need to be taken apart and cleaned or something...

Yeah, we had to look away. I always wondered if they could have provided glasses that would only let you see your and the dealer's cards.

• Like 3

I somehow managed to forget that it was Monday for most of the day, but better late than never! :)

Ineligible
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Game Boy Advance) - 833 minutes
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance) - 228 minutes
Sonic Advance 2 (Game Boy Advance) - 161 minutes

Sega Game Gear
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Emulated on EverDrive GBA X5) - 23 minutes

Sega Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 184 minutes

Sega Master System
Fantasy Zone (Emulated on EverDrive GBA X5) - 17 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,446 minutes (24 hours 6 minutes) [224 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy Advance: 1,222 minutes
Sega Genesis: 184 minutes
Sega Game Gear: 23 minutes
Sega Master System: 17 minutes

• Like 8

Here's the summary for Week 22, running from May 27 - June 2. We logged 3471 minutes of eligible play, playing 49 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Enclave (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 490 min.
2. Myth: The Fallen Lords (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 360 min.
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 264 min.
4. Adventures of Gilligan's Island, The (NES/Famicom) - 252 min.
5. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 203 min.
6. Addams Family, The (NES/Famicom) - 198 min.
7. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 184 min.
8. Musashi no Bouken [The Adventures of Musashi Jr] (NES/Famicom) - 152 min.
9. Borzork (TI-99/4A) - 120 min.
10. Gradius (Sharp X1) - 109 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 264 min.
2. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 203 min.
3. Borzork (TI-99/4A) - 120 min.
4. Gradius (Sharp X1) - 109 min.
5. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 95 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 88 min.
7. Gyruss (Arcade) - 85 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 68 min.
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 57 min.
10. Z-Tack (Atari 2600) - 46 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (905)
2. PC (Windows 95/98) (850)
3. Atari 2600 (641)
4. Arcade (243)
5. Atari 8-bit (203)
6. Genesis (184)
7. TI-99/4A (120)
8. Sharp X1 (109)
9. Atari 7800 (68)
10. PC (DOS) (45)

After a bit of unexpected delay (*), here are the weekly stats. Two late Windows games top the list this week, followed by classics such as Kaboom! and M.U.L.E. on the pre-NES list. A couple of strong games for the NES/Famicom makes it the most played system.

There is one new entry to the 1000 Minute Club this week, namely Gyruss (Arcade) which has obtained 1034 minutes and club member #374.

(*) My main PC since 13 years ago (an Athlon64 3800+ with CPU benchmark 589 points) after a few months of struggle decided to finally give up the ghost yesterday evening. Fortunately I built myself a new PC (an Athlon A8-3870 with CPU benchmark 3542 points?) only 7 years ago and have been planning to migrate all my documents and programs to the newer computer but never really got to do it. Now I was forced to take a backup of the old HDD (which fortunately seems to be fully readable!) and slowly install the software required on my newer PC. Lots of files to sort through and probably lots of junk I can remove.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 9

After replacing our water heater and selling a bunch of boxed Intellivision games last week, my 13 year old and I cleaned and tested a bunch of loose games this week. It's a slow process since we sometimes feel like we need to play them thoroughly to make sure they work :)

Intellivision:

Donkey Kong Jr - 7 minutes - It wasn't as bad as I recalled but the new version is much much better

Frogger - 10 minutes

Shark! Shark! - 15 minutes

Learning Fun II - 12 minutes - the 2 player simultaneous match game is fairly fun (at least for the 8 minutes we played that game)

Dig Dug - 20 minutes - We played Dig Dug on the Nintendo Switch, Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 earlier this year so it was fun to play the Intellivision version, which certainly held its own

Thunder Castle - 40 minutes - I've had this game for years and never realized that the items you can pick up have more value than just getting points. I already thought this was a great game. Now I love it even more!

• Like 7

My times for the week:

NES:
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends - 99 min.
Musashi no Bouken - 238 min.
Beat Rocky & Bullwinkle. It's quite bad, but I think Wayne's World (from the same developers) is the worse game of the two, though R&B is glitchier.
  • Like 5

Atari 2600

Marspatrouille: 8 min

Moon Patrol: 10 min

PC (DOS)

Historyline: 105 min

Stumbled across a tank documentary on Youtube, and guess what? It made me want to play Historyline. As if I ever needed an excuse to play that...

Managed to hit a flea market earlier today and found Marspatrouille, which is the german Quelle version of Spectravideo's Gas Hog. As far as I can see, it's identical to the original. Quelle games are fun to collect, because they have weird names and sometimes even weirder cover art.

• Like 5

Atari 8-bit:
Fort Apocalypse - 6 min.
M.U.L.E. - 71 min.

Tandy MC-10:
Lost World Pinball - 5 min.
Pac-Man - 5 min.
Tetris 4K - 12 min.

The two Atari games are from different HSC's. The reason I brought out my Alice (French licensed MC-10 clone) was that a guy in a FB group was looking for some games to load, but they wouldn't load on his machine. I found out it simply was due to out of memory error, except that the computer locks up or crashes if you load a too large program instead of bailing out with an error message. Once I plugged in my MCX-128 expansion cartridge, all games loaded fine with the same cables and volume settings. However Lost World Pinball doesn't display purple on my computer or if it is due to the RGB cable, which means that most of the playfield including the actual flippers are invisible. Not only does it make the game far harder, it also makes it less fun. I might investigate this some time.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (June 3rd through 9th, 2019) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Anteater - 8 min.

Kangaroo - 7 min.

Atari 2600:

Alligator people - 281 min. in 7 sessions

My main game this week was "Alligator people" on the Atari 2600. This is a game that caters very much to the Atari 2600's capabilities, using all available objects and amending the rules to fit the graphics capabilities. Your job is to cure 6 people from turning into alligators with a syringe which first has to pick up the medication it sprays at the people, blocked by moving walls and attacked by alligators which it can shoot as well.

Other than that, I only played Arcade games. I replayed Kangaroo, Anteater and two games I first played last year, Dolphin Star and World's biggest Pac-Man (I think that's what it was called). The later two are ineligible for the classic tracker, so they will appear in the modern tracker instead.

• Like 5

Atari Lynx -

A Bug's Lynx - 20min

C-Gull - 5min

Conquistador - 40min

Eggsaviers Cackleberry Rescue - 10min

Fission - 30min

Flappy Bird - 5min

Gates of Zendocon - 115min

Glob Shoot - 15min

Knight Moves - 10min

Luchenstien 3D Demo - 40min

Marble Madness - 20min

Nomad Rally 2018 eJagFest Demo - 10min

Raiden - 10min

Road Riot 4WD - 5min

Switchblade II - 35min

PC DOS -

Last Rites 465min

SNES -

Dorke and Ymp - 15min

I got my Agacart (Lynx SD multicart) so I played my Lynx a bit this week.

Also finished Last Rites which I actually enjoyed quite well despite its flaws. It may not be the best old school FPS but it's worth playing in my opinion.

Also went to Zombie Apocalypse Live, which is like a real life Zombie FPS game so that was kinda cool right after finishing a Zombie FPS on PC :)

Lastly I received Dorke and Ymp for the SNES so I tested it out but haven't gotten far yet :P

Overall a pretty decent game week :)

post-39068-0-26760200-1560137100_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Not a whole lot of time for me this week.

Atari Lynx (all emulated)

Batman - 3 min (Hard. Lots of enemies. No way to keep from taking damage. Not really interested in trying it more. lol)

Battlezone 2000 - 16 min (I like this version. I'm better at it than I am at the 2600 version, that's for sure.)

Blue Lightning - 20 min (It's a good thing you don't run out of bullets for the main gun. Didn't get past the third level, though. So many missiles and enemies.)

Atari 2600

Ghostbusters - 5 min (Not really sure what I was doing. Kinda figured some stuff out, but need to look up the manual. Mainly, I love how this cartridge looks. Plain black with the Ghostbusters logo on it. Beautiful design.)

Zaxxon - 15 min (This one is a hard one, too. But was glad it wasn't the isometric view I'm used to with Zaxxon. I'm sure it's a limitation of the hardware, but it did make figuring out heights a little easier.)

I played around with a lot of other games on my laptop. Got some rom sets and was trying out some things, but nothing really enough to record. Mostly just to see if it worked and to make sure it was in English and not Japanese or whatever.

• Like 6

A few more Intellivision games tonight...

Intellivision:

White Water - 8 minutes

Learning Fun I - 12 minutes - I'm not going to lie. I kinda like the math game where they give you a bunch of numbers and you race to create an equation that equals the target solution.

Thunder Castle - 10 minutes

Congo Bongo - 8 minutes - I'm impressed and not impressed by this game at the same time.

Chip Shot - Super Pro Golf - 27 minutes - Hey I scored 104. Too bad I only played the front 9. It took me awhile to get the hang of it. This is a pretty solid game with tons of options!

• Like 8

It was an especially awesome week for gaming around here this past week, since I finally completed the project I've been working on for the past 4 months and rebuilt our old Sega Genesis Model 2 / Sega CD / 32X setup! In all the years that I've been buying and selling retro game systems I only ever regretted selling two things: My original Game Boy (which I got back earlier this year) and my Sega Genesis trifecta. Now that I've got them both back I'm feeling pretty darn content! :)

lULIQIb.jpg

Ineligible
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Game Boy Advance) - 129 minutes
Sonic Advance 3 (Game Boy Advance) - 86 minutes

Sega CD
Sonic CD - 417 minutes

Sega Genesis
Raiden Trad - 69 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog - 136 minutes

Sony PlayStation
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - 318 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,155 minutes (19 hours 15 minutes) [940 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega CD: 417 minutes
Sony PlayStation: 318 minutes
Game Boy Advance: 215 minutes
Sega Genesis: 205 minutes

• Like 6

Arcade

Defender 49

Pengo 40

These were both in MAME. I got inspired to try a different button scheme in MAME after playing a real Defender cab last week. The problem with my control panel is pushing reverse. The buttons are too far away from the stick to just be able to push it with my thumb. Still no real solution for that, but I can kinda make it work.

AND . . . After all these years, I don't think I have EVER played Pengo. I thought I had, but the game was totally new to me, so I guess I hadn't. Good times . . .

• Like 3

32X:

DOOM - 21 minutes

Virtua Racing Deluxe - 6 minutes

Genesis:

Sonic the Hedgehog (6-Pak) - 30 minutes

Splatterhouse 2 - 55 minutes

PDP-11:

Super Star Trek - 11 minutes

Lot of Sega.

With Sonic Mania coming on the PS4 for free thanks to me paying $100 for an online service I never use, I figure "ah let's try to beat the other 2D Sonic games"... yeah that was a mistake. Turns out I'm real bad at the first and can't get to the second zone without a lot of luck, so maybe that idea will be shelved for a bit. Did get to play with the 32X again and that's always cool, I just recently got my own Jaguar so going back and playing 32X DOOM gives me another comparison on which port I think is best. The PDP-11 is also starting to see some time, I got it to (very slowly) boot an operating system (RT-11) off of an emulated drive via a 2400-baud serial connection. I have no clue how to play SST but I keep hearing that it's one of the big classics so maybe I'll actually read the manual and figure it out another day.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 340 minutes

Hunchy 2 - 28 minutes

I made it to around 148,000 on Kaboom! which is better than I have done in a while. I think I'm getting out of my slump.

That's a good Kaboom score. What is your highest Kaboom sco

• Like 1