IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 340 minutes

Hunchy 2 - 28 minutes

I made it to around 148,000 on Kaboom! which is better than I have done in a while. I think I'm getting out of my slump.

That's a good Kaboom score. What is your highest Kaboom sco

Thank you agb. My best is 928,982. The only time I made it past 900,000. I think I have been past 600,000 about 3 times.

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 23, running from June 3 - 9. We logged 3911 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Last Rites (PC (DOS)) - 465 min.

2. Sonic CD (Sega CD) - 417 min.

3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 360 min.

4. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation) - 318 min.

5. Alligator People (Atari 2600) - 281 min.

6. Musashi no Bouken [The Adventures of Musashi Jr] (NES/Famicom) - 238 min.

7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - 166 min.

8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 151 min.

9. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 134 min.

10. Gates of Zendocon (Atari Lynx) - 115 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 360 min.

2. Alligator People (Atari 2600) - 281 min.

3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 151 min.

4. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 134 min.

5. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 89 min.

6. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 71 min.

7. Thunder Castle (Intellivision) - 50 min.

8. Defender (Arcade) - 49 min.

9. Pengo (Arcade) - 40 min.

10. Z-Tack (Atari 2600) - 38 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1011)

2. PC (DOS) (570)

3. Sega CD (417)

4. Atari Lynx (409)

5. NES/Famicom (337)

6. PlayStation (318)

7. Genesis (290)

8. Intellivision (169)

9. Atari 7800 (134)

10. Arcade (104)

Another late DOS game in form of Last Rites takes the title this week, closely followed by Sonic CD. The pre-NES list as so often before is dominated by Kaboom! though Alligator People makes a sudden comeback after having been absent from the tracker for 10 years! Systems wise the Atari 2600 dominates, though a few uncommon entries like the Atari Lynx but even more uncommon below the threshold in form of Tandy MC-10 and PDP-11 which now has two games in the tracker. (BurritoBeans: try the original Tetris!)

No new entry on the 1000 Minute Club, but Hunchy II (Atari 2600) enters the 5000 Minute Club with exactly 5000 minutes of gameplay so far, which equals 23rd place at the time of writing.

• Like 7

The question has been asked before, I assume, but how long would a 1 mil game of Kaboom take?

It would take anywhere from 4 hours to 6 hours. It depends on how much trouble you get in, and have to pause to psych yourself up and get super focused. The way I play probably 5 hours.

That's 30 minutes for every 100,000. One time I made it to 100,000 in about 22 to 24 minutes but that is very rare for me. Another time I made it to 250,000 in one hour.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 8

He's still hooked on Thunder Castle, and he's significantly better at it than I am. He knows how to optimize the use of each of the treasures, where the enemies reappear and how to hold the chalice to kill them again when they do. He made it to level 6 tonight and scored over 21,000 points.

Intellivision:

Thunder Castle 60 minutes

Bonus: Does everyone realize that the name "Connie" or the initials "CG" are hidden in each of the opening screens?

• Like 6

We are usually lucky to find time to play games once a week but it's summer break and I came home from work today to find my 13 y.o. already playing Thunder Castle. Pretty cool since he has plenty of newer systems and an ipad, phone, etc to use but he's really into the Intellivision right now. He makes it to level 6 fairly often but couldn't get past it. Let me know if you have tips...

Intellivision:

Thunder Castle - 245 minutes

Bonus Bonus: In addition to "Connie" or "CG" on the splash screens, you can also find "Dave" or the initials "DW". Connie Goldman started creating this game at Mattel but it wasn't completed. Dave Warhol picked this game back up for INTV and finished it with her (according to Digital Press). Finding them is like a game within the game.

• Like 5

My apologies to Carlsson for multiple posts. I should probably save them for the end of the week and combine them but it's unusual for me to play more than once or twice per week so I usually just post about it while it's still fresh. Anyhow, we spent time this morning playing more Thunder Castle (my 13 y.o.) and Beamrider (me). We had similar results. He managed to get back to the 6th dungeon but never got past it. My beamrider score was within 2,000 points of my score earlier in the week but I didn't beat it. Still had a great time and have been incredibly thankful to spend this time playing together.

My brother came over for our Final Fantasy quest. This was our 11th session and we were optimistic that we could finally beat the game. We didn't :( but we continue to creep closer. We were very weak but managed to get the Masume and exit the final dungeon. We then restocked our heals, rested and went back hoping that we wouldn't have to fight the bosses that we already beat. Spoiler alert - you have to reface them everytime you reenter the dungeon. We made it past all four Lich, Kacy, Kracken and Tiamont which brought us to Chaos (I believe beating him would end the game). However, he quickly destroyed us. We're going to go back and purchase some magic to hopefully prevent him from making such short work of us next time but unfortunately that means there has to be a next time.

Intellivision:

Thunder Castle - 50 minutes

Beamrider - 35 minutes

NES:

Final Fantasy - 112 minutes

• Like 5

(still struggling with the new Forum functions...)

No gameplay at all for me again. Busy week with little to no opportunity. I should get a small package with homebrews and hacks from a fellow AA member in the course of next week, which I will surely test. So here's hoping that there will be some playtime soon.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cvga said:

My apologies to Carlsson for multiple posts. I should probably save them for the end of the week and combine them but it's unusual for me to play more than once or twice per week so I usually just post about it while it's still fresh.

No worries, I've collected all your individual posts this week. As long as it is one game per night, I'm fine with posting multiple times. If you had a playlist of 15 games which you posted daily times for, it would get a bit cumbersome after a while.

Anyway, here are my times as well:

Atari 8-bit:
Bounty Bob Strikes Back - 37 min.
M.U.L.E. - 66 min.

Two HSC's, and I'm doing quite poorly in both but hey when we play for highscores it is not about winning but having fun, right? Pierre de Coubertin fully agrees with me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this past week (June 10th through 16th) on classic systems...

Atari 2600:

Alligator people - 95 min. in 4 sessions

QB - 30 min.

Atari 7800:

Baby Pac-Man - 30 min. in 3 sessions

I've continued to play Alligator People, but I've repeatedly managed to surpass my goal of 33333 points. The game doesn't seem to get any harder after Round 4.

Then I replayed an older game called QB, but I didn't do so for long because it's rather frustrating in that I sometimes get killed by an enemy which I didn't know how to avoid.

I also replayed Baby Pac-Man on the Atari 7800 since the first batch of cartridges (hand-printed by Bob) has gone out to people and has been played by them. Actually I wonder if the Atari 7800 version of Baby Pac-Man has been reported here by anyone else but me previously. In any case, I mentioned the existence of this tracker in the Baby Pac-Man thread where people are posting how they received the cart and how much they appreciate it. So maybe we might see a few new faces in here this or next week...

• Like 5

This week was Commodore 64 since my wife picked up a Mini for me.  :)  I've had an absolute blast replaying some of the games I liked so much as a kid.

Commodore 64:

BC's Quest for Tires - 67 minutes

Blue Max - 42 minutes

Boulder Dash - 80 minutes

Lode Runner - 134 minutes

Space Taxi - 126 minutes

• Like 5

Override (PC Engine) 45 mins
Dragon's Descent (WIP) (Atari 7800) 20 mins
The Ultimate Doom (PC (DOS)) 22 mins

Wipeout (PC (DOS) 5 mins... I got this game working and it really sucks compared to the Saturn version I have... The fact that it has no 4 button support makes it impossible to use the L/R air brakes without using the keyboard.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 5

I also got a c64 mini this week:

C64

Deflektor 35

Frantic Freddy II 5

Galencia 4

Impossible Mission 475

Maniac Mansion 24

Moonspire 5

Motocross (by Tronix) 10

Organism 4

Slamball 14

Terrain (by Arcade 64) 3

Ultima IV Remastered 14

As a kid, I played Impossible Mission a lot, but never really seriously.  This week I discovered that the puzzle pieces are stacked on each other to form punch cards.  I also figured out some other gameplay quirks that had always eluded me.  Still haven't really even gotten close to solving all the puzzles, but I'll keep trying.  It seems the key to the game might be getting passwords by playing the music mini-game (which I also don't remember understanding as a kid).  I think that if I advance the music game up to it's 10th level in each room that should be enough passwords.  I hope so because going past that is really tedious.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wongojack said:

I also got a c64 mini this week:

C64

Deflektor 35

Frantic Freddy II 5

Galencia 4

Impossible Mission 475

Maniac Mansion 24

Moonspire 5

Motocross (by Tronix) 10

Organism 4

Slamball 14

Terrain (by Arcade 64) 3

Ultima IV Remastered 14

As a kid, I played Impossible Mission a lot, but never really seriously.  This week I discovered that the puzzle pieces are stacked on each other to form punch cards.  I also figured out some other gameplay quirks that had always eluded me.  Still haven't really even gotten close to solving all the puzzles, but I'll keep trying.  It seems the key to the game might be getting passwords by playing the music mini-game (which I also don't remember understanding as a kid).  I think that if I advance the music game up to it's 10th level in each room that should be enough passwords.  I hope so because going past that is really tedious.

oh dude, slamball!  i totally forgot that game.  off i go to snag it!

i'm really happy the way this little machine works- it's the perfect device for me to relive my C64 days. 

would a regular C64/1541 setup be cool? sure!  It's cost-prohibitive for me and space-prohibitive, though.  I think this is a good compromise. ;)

• Like 4