IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

ATARI 2600:

The Activision Decathlon - 10 minutes

ATARI 7800:

One-On-One Basketball - 10 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 120 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) 7800 Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage: Ms. Pac-Man, Plus ON, Fast ON, 5 lives to start, Random Bonus Items and One Player - Score: 152,780

2) My new photos with other scores on 7800 PMC, with Ms. Pac-Man Plus

20190806_223006.thumb.jpg.5696cf8f8d50093537f267e033d28231.jpg

20190806_223654.thumb.jpg.0472a0c5ad2f2177b25d1dba0b4cd77a.jpg

• Like 4

All right, all right, all right . . . This weekend was the Let's Play Gaming Expo here in DFW, and I played a lot of different games.

Amiga

Xenon 2 Megablast 3

Arcade*

Battlezone 11

Berzerk 12

Black Widow 7

Blaster 2

Cops and Robbers 6

Empire Strikes Back 59

Gate of Doom 9

Major Havoc 18

Polybius 8

Omega Race 13

Quasar 12 (by zelco)

Robotron 2084 6

Space Paranoids Deluxe 7

Spy Hunter 36

Starfighter 6 (from the movie The Last Starfighter)

Stargate 20

Toobin 6

Atari 2600

Crackpots 15

Atari 8 Bit 400

Donkey Kong 17

Atari St

Midi Maze 6

C64**

Ms Pac Man 5

Sam's Journey 8

NES

Micro Mages 10*** 

Mike Tyson's punch out 20

Twin Dragons 13***

Ti99 4a

Parsec 8

Vic 20

Cheese and Onion 36

Virtual Boy

Mario Tennis 12

*The arcade area at this show was indeed impressive.  There is some crossover with the Pinball Festival in the spring, so some of the still very rare machines didn't have as much WOW factor.  Stuff like Death Race, Blaster, and the arcade version of ZAMN were back, but there were also some unique creations like replicas of Space Paranoids Deluxe (the game Flynn is playing in Tron), The Last Starfighter (arcade game recreated from scenes in the movie), and Polybius (the mysterious game rumored to be used by the gov't to spy on teens).  I was told these were programmed by a local arcader who build the machines himself - Awesome!  I had also never heard of a game called Cops and Robbers which was sorta like a 4 player version of Gunfight.

IMG_20190810_123546.thumb.jpg.31df959e349dfaaf5c9e4ae18d2be168.jpgIMG_20190810_123534.thumb.jpg.b71685488871b525b03202807902ec77.jpg

IMG_20190810_123520.thumb.jpg.f873645788d38c573c9a3ed76d5743d5.jpgIMG_20190810_160111.thumb.jpg.80d8f399116403d965c071174590066a.jpg

**They had a pretty nice setup of classic computers at this thing.  I was excited to try out Sam's Journey on the C64 for the first time, and I also spent a fair amount of time playing the Vic 20 homebrew Cheese and Onion.  One of the collectors also had a Soviet clone of a PDP computer that was running Tetris which was pretty cool

***There was a large console area with many different types of consoles set up.  I moved around and played a few of them including the Virtual Boy and a couple NES homebrews that I had never heard of.  I don't really pay attention to NES brews, but these were both NES-like and recognizable as modern creation - fun!

===============

Untracked

===============

Pinball

Centigrade 37

F14 Tomcat

Jack Bot

Kiss

Lost World

Neptune

OXO

TNA

We don't track pinball, but I had a chance to play some physical tables and some virtual tables via an interface called Pinup Popper.  This was all in a very nice virtual cabinet with multiple TVs and a Dot Matrix display.  I really need to set up some virtual pinball on my computer and just play the games.  You don't need the whole big cab setup to have fun with it, and there are so many tables to play that I think I'm overdue on that project.

Also in the untracked department, the Dallas Society of Play brought in more than a dozen indie developers who showed off some of their completed games as well as various WIPs.  It was neat to sit down with young devs as they showed off their games and explained them as I played a level or two.  They were all SUPER nice, and I was particularly impressed with a released game called Depixtion.

PC

Bark City Brawl 7 wip (by raindelay)

Carpathian Nights 15 wip (by Tezcatek)

Depixtion 10 (by Dev Hour)

Stargirl Super Emma  wip (by Dog Theory)

Train Wreck 5 wip (by lost box)

V 1.6 million 15 wip (by boxhead pixel art)

WiiU

Sinister Assistant 7 (by Dolphin)

• Like 5

A few more minutes of Osborne (CP/M) gaming to finish out the week

Aliens - 15min

Another port of Space invaders. Not as nice to look at as Invaders but has several different game modes including invisible enemies and loss of flight controls. Also each shot costs points so you don't want to miss! I think I prefer Invaders but this ones still OK

Neutron Tanks - 5min

Text game where you control a nuclear armed tank, fighting the Russians in the name of King Ronald Reagan to save the American way of watching Charlie's Angels and eating Apple pie :P

Nuclear Reactor - 6min

Places you in control of a nuclear power plant where your goal is to generate as much power as possible while not allowing the reactor to over heat causing a meltdown. (I lasted a whopping 7 days lol)

Polish Pong - 10min

You place walls to try to direct the ball to collect the *'s. Simple but fun

• Like 4

Arcade:

Soul Edge Ver. 2 - 75 minutes

PC (DOS)

Blood - 312 minutes

The Ultimate DOOM - 180 minutes

Forgot the times for last week out at Replay and I honestly don't remember everything I played so I'm skipping those - this week was a lot less variety but whatever.

So yeah, got a new arcade board in which is neat. Found someone selling a Soul Edge v2 for cheap, I always love messing with our v1 at the arcade so this seemed like fun. I still don't have buttons and sticks for it but I mounted the board, power supply, and one of those cheap GBS8200 v4s to a bit of scrap plywood and it's a nice setup, hooks out to any old VGA monitor (my spare IBM 8513 for now) and it's probably heading with me to school the weekend after next to be set up as something at the game club event for incoming freshmen alongside a bunch of other stuff. Past that it was just classic FPS time, I ran through the first two episodes of Blood on Extra Crispy which was frustrating and then messed with old doom for a while as I had no better ideas of stuff to do.

Not sure if I'm going to have much for the next week past more of the usual with old 90s shooters and Soul Edge, don't really have much else to do past some work and I'm trying to wind down a bit before school starts up again - if anything I'm probably going to do co-op stuff anyways as some friends are coming up to town early due to on-campus jobs, being RAs, etc.

• Like 5

My times for the week...

SNES

Dragon Quest V - 80 min (Got a little further in... to a place where it seems that grinding some more will be necessary then put it down.)

TurboGrafx-CD

Cosmic Fantasy 2 - 10 min (Just kinda playing around to see what kind of game it is.  Looks to be a pretty standard RPG looking game, but has some pretty nice anime style cutscenes.)

The Dynsatic Hero - 60 min (Looked it up afterward, but while playing I kept thinking, "This reminds me of a Wonder Boy game..."  Turns out, it is a Wonder Boy game.  It's not bad.  Had some trouble with timing the attacks properly, but that could be down to lag from emulation or something... dunno.  Got to a boss and died and didn't want to try to get through the "Simon Says" style locked doors to try again so I stopped for now.  May try again later.)

Gate of Thunder - 15 min (Such a great shooter.  Played for a little bit and got to the third boss I think...  I have this for the Wii VC, but was playing this time on my laptop.)

R-Type Complete CD - 5 min (Just played a bit... seems pretty much the same as the TurboChip version but with CD audio.  It also seemed like it might have been zoomed in just a bit more than I remember, but I could be imagining it... I haven't done any actual tests on that...)

Zero Wing - 5 min (I had played a bit of this a while back, but couldn't remember exactly what it was like... played a bit to remind myself of it.  The SegaCD version of this game is the one that started the "All Your Base" meme, if I remember correctly.  All I do know is that I did not see any of that in this version.)

TurboGrafx-16

Blazing Lazers - 60 min (Got to about the same place I did last play through... somewhere on the 9th stage...)

Devil's Crush - 60 min (I've had this game for quite a while, but never really played it too terribly much.  People praise it as a great pinball game, and they aren't wrong.  But I've played Alien Crush more.)

Playstation

Castlevania: SotN - 60 min (Got a little further in, explored more of the castle, but didn't fight any new bosses.  Got low on health and had only one health item, a pot roast, so I equipped it and promptly threw it on the other side of a wall and wasted it.  lol...  died a little while later because I had no easy way to regen health and couldn't find a save room.  Oh well... since I died, I still have the pot roast.)

Wipeout XL - 30 min (I used to have this game... had a lot of fun going back and playing it again.  Looking to probably play on stream sometime soonish...  Still the only game I ever bought the soundtrack to.)

• Like 6

Late to the party this week on account of Monday being a rough day medically speaking, but here's my household's times for the past week: 

Ineligible

Doom 3 (Nintendo Switch) - 530 minutes

Horizon Chase Turbo (Nintendo Switch) - 175 minutes

Pac-Man (World's Smallest Tiny Arcade) - 18 minutes

PAW Patrol: On a Roll! (Nintendo Switch) - 15 minutes

Atari 2600

Alien - 5 minutes

Commando - 5 minutes

DK Arcade 2600 - 47 minutes

Dungeon - 22 minutes

Frankenstein's Monster - 41 minutes

Front Line - 11 minutes

Gremlins - 8 minutes

Ikari Warriors - 6 minutes

Joust - 26 minutes

Millipede - 17 minutes

New Pac-Man (8K Version) - 27 minutes

Pole Position - 15 minutes

Road Runner - 44 minutes

Skeleton+ - 24 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,036 minutes (17 hours 16 minutes) [298 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 720 minutes

Atari 2600: 298 minutes

World's Smallest Tiny Arcade: 18 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 32, running from August 5 - 11. We logged 2559 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Blood (PC (DOS)) - 312 min.

2. Snoopy Tennis (Game Boy Color) - 223 min.
3. Ultimate Doom, The (PC (DOS)) - 180 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 135 min.
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 124 min.
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 120 min.
7. Mega Man 5 (NES/Famicom) - 103 min.
8. Dragon Quest V (SNES) - 80 min.
9. Soul Edge Ver. II (Arcade) - 75 min.
10. Blazing Lazers (Gunhed) (TG-16/PC Engine) - 60 min.
10. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) - 60 min.
10. Devil's Crush (TG-16/PC Engine) - 60 min.
10. Dynsatic Hero, The (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) - 60 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 135 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 124 min.
3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 120 min.
4. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 59 min.
4. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Arcade) - 59 min.
6. Donkey Kong Arcade (Atari 2600) - 47 min.
7. Zork I: The Underground Empire (CP/M) - 45 min.
8. Road Runner (Atari 2600) - 44 min.
9. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600) - 41 min.
10. Cheese and Onion (VIC-20) - 36 min.
10. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 36 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (641)
2. PC (DOS) (492)
3. Arcade (306)
4. Game Boy Color (223)
5. NES/Famicom (146)
6. Atari 7800 (130)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (120)
8. CP/M (116)
9. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (95)
10. PlayStation (90)

A bit unusual top 2 this week with the FPS game Blood and Snoopy Tennis, but that is the charm of the tracker - you never know what to expect. Well, except for the fact that Kaboom! and more recently Solar Fox usually are in the top of the pre-NES list, just like this week. On the systems list, the 2600 has nearly 2.5 hours advantage over the PC DOS computers.

No new entries to the 1000 Minute Club, though some are close - within 6 minutes!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ATARI 2600:

Gorf (for the 2600 NEW HSC Season 9 inaugural week) - 22 minutes

Squish 'Em (just for fun) - 25 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection (just for fun) - 66 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) 2600 Squish 'Em gameplay footage - Game 1 B/B

2) 7800 Pac-Man Collection, with Ms. Pac-Attack on Turbo Speed, Banana skill

• Like 5

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 24 min. in 2 sessions

Commodore 64:

Marble (Homebrew) - 7 min.

Ms. Pac-Man - 38 min. in 2 sessions

This week I replayed Jr. Pac-Man (original version) and Ms. Pac-Man (Commore 64 version). That C-64 version seems to be harder than the arcade one. I didn't manage to surpass about 30,000 points on it. In Jr. Pac-Man, I reached about an average result

One game I played, I think, for the first time since many years is "Marble" a homebrew version of Marble Madness converted from isometric to 2D graphics which I wrote back in early 1985 in BASIC and then compiled it using the Austro-Comp compiler. As is customary for games I did myself which appear on the tracker, I've attached the program file to this thread. It's supposed to be run on a C-64 emulator (i.e. VICE).

c_marble 2.PRGc_marble 2.PRG

• Like 6

Times for the week!

Atari 2600

Gorf - 20 min (Playing for the HSC like most others.  Time was split between my Flashback portable and emulation on my laptop.  I'm not good at this game.  lol...  My score is near the bottom for sure.)

Atari 7800

Pole Position II - 40 min (Playing the Fuji course.  Having some old school racing fun.)

TurboGrafx-16

Air Zonk - 5 min (Just messing around with this one.  Never played it much and the powerups are a mystery to me.)

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - 51 min (This game gets maligned pretty hard.  It's not terrible, it's just not outstanding.  Don't know how far I got... like the end of the fourth level or so?  Died several times in that underworld part.  It's kinda maze like, then finally got to the boss and died pretty quickly.)

Ninja Spirit - 90 min (Played for a while both on and off stream.  I beat this back in the day, and it's not a terribly difficult game.  Infinite continues help.  But I did not beat it this time around.)

TurboGrafx-CD

Gate of Thunder - 15 min (A fun game.  Not as hard as some other shooters, but hard enough.  Played this in emulation and got to about where I usually get.  The end of level 3.  I've gotten farther in the past, but not this time.)

Super Raiden CD - 5 min (Just played a bit.  Couldn't find the option to turn on turbo fire in the emulator, so I didn't last long.)

SNES

Dragon Quest V - 252 min (I fired it up, wholly meaning to just do some grinding to level up and buy gear.  But ended up advancing the story a good amount.  lol...  Don't mean to give spoilers away if someone hasn't played it before, but I just defeated the fake empress for those who have played it before.)

Genesis

Phantasy Star II - 640 min (I forgot to put this in last week's tracker.  Time was split pretty evenly between the two weeks.  I just got through the Biodome thingy... don't remember the name...  so that's where I am in the story.  I spend a lot of time grinding and buying weapons and such.  I tend to do that in these older RPGs.  Having fun and the music is definitely sticking in my head for days at a time.)

Playstation 

Wipeout - 40 min (The first one on Playstation.  Remember renting this back in the day, but don't think I ever owned it.  At least not sure I did.  I do remember quite a bit of it though.)

Wipeout XL - 38 min (I had this one.  Still the only game I ever bought the sound track for.  A great refinement of the original.  Great that you can scrape the edge of the track now without coming to a complete stop like in the first one.)

Wipeout 3 - 22 min (Never played this one before, but it looks great.  Sounds like they lost the music, maybe?  The menus seemed to go for more of a minimalist theme than the previous games.  I like it, though.)

• Like 5

Arcade

Asteroids Deluxe 122

Bionic Commando 8

Burnin' Rubber (aka Bump n Jump) 16

Commando 12

Its all arcade games in the classic tracker for me.  I actually own an Asteroids Deluxe cocktail table, but I don't know if I've ever logged time for it here - shame on me.  Anyway, it has sort of been out of sight in a weird place in the house, but I've moved it to a more central spot and played it quite a bit on Sat and Sun.  These other times were all in MAME.

• Like 6

Arcade:

Soul Edge Ver. 2 - 15 minutes

PC (DOS):

DOOM 2 - 96 minutes

PDP-11:

Tetris - 55 minutes

Welp, not a ton but it was fun.

Lot of work and helping people move but I did get some time in which is nice - as-of posting I'm waiting on my sticks and buttons for the Soul Edge board which are supposed to arrive sometime today, I've just been shorting buttons on the harness to ground for now to test everything which isn't exactly a good way to play a fighting game, oh well. Doom 2 because why not I guess, I did 1 last week anyways - friends from school and I did a co-op run and it was good fun, kinda nice as I was the only one who had actually even played the game before out of the four of us so it was nice seeing people learn the game. The PDP also shows up again for some Tetris, not much though. I've been struggling to find a terminal that'll emulate a VT52 all too well past one on Windows but I'd like to move to using a RPi as I have one in a case with some RS232 ports right off the side of it thanks to a little 4-porrt board which would make it a nice console of sorts. TU58FS works perfectly (although I did buy a hard/floppy disk drive controller so who knows how long I'll keep needing the TU58 emulator) but I can't get a terminal that wants to do the graphics right and don't have a VT52 or VT100 that supports cyrillic making some stuff impossible to play.

It's move-in week on-campus and I volunteered to help since they always seem to be short on staff and then have a game club event on Saturday that I need to bring setups for, plus I agreed to help most of my friends move back to their apartments since I'm the only local out of the group, so no clue if I'll get many more games in but Ion Fury is looking nice and I'm thinking about getting a GDEMU clone for the heck of playing more Dreamcast.

• Like 6

Coming in late yet again this week (my apologies to Carlsson) due to another insanely busy monday, but here's my household's times for the week: 

Ineligible

Doom 3 (Nintendo Switch) - 470 minutes

Horizon Chase Turbo (Nintendo Switch) - 10 minutes

Arcade

Asteroids (Played on Atari Flashback Classics for Nintendo Switch) - 5 minutes

Centipede (Played on Atari Flashback Classics for Nintendo Switch) - 15 minutes

Atari 2600

Alien - 22 minutes

Gorf - 130 minutes

PC-DOS

Doom (Played on Nintendo Switch) - 25 minutes

Doom II (Played on Nintendo Switch) - 5 minutes