IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 36, running from September 2 - 8. We logged 4486 minutes of eligible play, playing 53 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 1020 min.

2. Super Mario World (SNES) - 539 min.
3. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 520 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 267 min.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - 245 min.
6. Historyline 1914-1918 (PC (DOS)) - 184 min.
7. Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) - 180 min.
8. Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600) - 142 min.
9. Thunder Force III (Genesis) - 136 min.
10. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) - 130 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 267 min.
2. Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600) - 142 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 119 min.
4. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 101 min.
5. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 97 min.
6. Paku Paku (PC (DOS)) - 85 min.
7. Blue Print (Atari 2600) - 28 min.
8. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 23 min.
9. Rainbow Walker (Atari 8-bit) - 22 min.
10. Chaotic Grill (Atari 2600) - 21 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (1953)
2. Genesis (901)
3. Atari 2600 (723)
4. PC (DOS) (294)
5. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (180)
6. Arcade (118)
7. Atari 8-bit (98)
8. Atari 7800 (71)
9. PlayStation (52)
10. Neo Geo AES/MVS (51)

While Zelda and A Link to the Past is not new to the tracker, it takes a splendid title, just over 8 hours more than Super Mario World and Phantasy Star II. A number of strong SNES games also makes it win the systems list, in a classic 16-bit battle against the Genesis. On the pre-NES front things are a bit calmer, though thanks to HSC we have two Activision games in the top: obviously Kaboom! but also Pressure Cooker.

None of the games make the 1000 Minute Club, but both Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) with 5217 mins and Phantasy Star II (Genesis) with 5478 mins move into the 5000+ Minute Club, which thus is up to 26 members (+7 this year). Speaking about stats, Kaboom! also exceeded 220,000 mins which perhaps is not a typical milestone but a somewhat round figure.

• Like 7

I'm done with Classic Gaming this week, so can post my times early. :)   Final Fantasy VIII was released in 1999, so I think that fits in line with the Classic Gaming tracker now- man I feel old.

SNES:

Super Mario World -- 265 minutes

Slowly working my way through SMW.   I've done all but one of the Star Road stages and mostly finished the Chocolate Island- I have 67 of 96 stages completed.

PS1:

Final Fantasy VIII -- 566 minutes

Doing a new playthrough of FFVIII.  One thing that did strike me was that the game mechanics are kind of boring this time around (in my opinion)- I equally like and dislike the Draw system in the game.  I'm getting ready to go to Timber.

• Like 4

Amiga OCS:
Moonstone - 2 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Defender - 2 min.

C64:
Commando - 3 min.

Intellivision:
Santa Lucia - 4 min.

MSX1:
Knightmare - 3 min.

NES/Famicom:
Section Z - 5 min.

PC DOS:
Tetris (Spectrum Holobyte) - 1 min.

Pong:
Gamatic 7706 - 4 min.

Inventory testing of systems before the expo in two weeks. No HSC times this week unfortunately, so mostly a blip on the radar. I barely even played a game until game over.

• Like 5

Played a bunch of Atari Lynx homebrews this week :) also a bit of PC.

Atari Lynx

4ttude - 10min

Assembloids - 450min

Find a way to my Heart - 30min

Growing Ties - 20min

Lynx Quest - 45min

Nutmeg - 15min

On Duty - 60min

Sky Raider - 20min

The Inside World - 10min

Undergrounders - 20min

YNXA - 45min

Windows 98

Postal 2 - 200min

• Like 5

My times...

Donkey Kong - 10 min (Played around with this some.  Was mainly because I was trying to get my TV's picture adjusted properly.  The color has been off.  I'm enjoying it, but I can't play it when my girlfriend is home.  She says she hears a high pitched tone when the TV is on that I can't hear.  Other's have said they hear it, too.  My ears are not the best...)

SNES

Dragon Quest V - 195 min (Progressed the story a bit more... got married... got a boat... started roaming other areas.  Then I messed up.  lol...  First of all, there's an item called Wings of Chimera that returns you to your last save point.  Which is nice when you use it right.  Anyway, I got to a new town and needed to go through a dungeon to get to the next area.  So I save in the town and head to the dungeon.  I get all the way through it and finally get to the next town.  Decide there's some stuff in the shop I want to buy, but my character's inventory is full, so I go to transfer some stuff from him to another character to make some room.  And instead of pressing "give", I pressed "use" on the Wing of Chimera... and it warped me back to my last save point... which was the town before the dungeon.  So now I have to go through the dungeon again.  sigh...)

TurboGrafx-CD

Cosmic Fantasy 2 - 321 min (Progressed the story more...  got to the main bad guy who killed me in one shot (scripted fight, can't win) and had a great cutscene... now it's twenty years in the future and I'm playing as a different character.  I'm sure I'll meet up with the original character at some point, but we'll see.  I'm enjoying the story, but as I said, the combat is kinda meh.)

Genesis

Chiki Chiki Boys - 5 min (A side scrolling platformer kind of deal.  Haven't played it much, but seems reasonably fun.  Just don't hear much about it.  I remember there was a Battle of the Ports video about it once, though... I think...)

Phantasy Star II - 360 min (Progressed this story some, too.  Had an odd glitch (?) happen that helped me out, though.  There's a spell called Ryuka that sends you back to your last save (like the Wing in DQV).  Anyway, I start off in a town on the new planet... the only town I've been to so far on this planet...  I fly back to the original planet to change party members, because I want to level one of the ones I'd left behind.  I go back to the new planet and hit Ryuka to go back to the town.  But for some reason, it sends me to a different town... one that I hadn't been to yet and therefore couldn't have saved at.  Don't know why, but it saved me from having to figure out how to get there on my own.  Anyway, still moving forward.)

Dreamcast

Tee Off - 45 min (Had to play some Dreamcast on 9/9/19.  Played golf game Tee Off for a round.  I didn't time it, but I think it was about 45 min.  I didn't do so hot...  4 over par.  Some of those putts are really hard to judge.  Was going to also play some Sega Rally 2, but after playing almost an hour of golf, I couldn't stand the whine of the noisy Dreamcast anymore.  lol)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 5

It was the usual gaming routine around here this past week, with a bit of Switch time then a few Sega Genesis games played with the misses. This week we ended up spending most of our gaming time playing some new Genesis pickups that I scored on eBay recently. :)

qCElOjm.jpg

Ineligible 

DOOM (Nintendo Switch) - 380 minutes

PC-DOS

Doom (Played on Nintendo Switch) - 10 minutes

Sega Genesis

Altered Beast - 10 minutes

Battletech - 90 minutes

Kid Chameleon - 139 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 416 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,045 minutes (17 hours 25 minutes) [665 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega Genesis: 655 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 380 minutes

PC-DOS: 10 minutes

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 37, running from September 9 - 15. We logged 4721 minutes of eligible play, playing 49 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation) - 566 min.
2. Assembloids (Atari Lynx) - 450 min.
3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 416 min.
4. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 360 min.
5. Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) - 321 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 286 min.
7. Super Mario World (SNES) - 265 min.
8. Postal 2 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 200 min.
9. Dragon Quest V (SNES) - 195 min.
10. Mega Man 2 (NES/Famicom) - 190 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 286 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 135 min.
3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 118 min.
4. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
5. Blue Print (Atari 2600) - 37 min.
6. Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 25 min.
7. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 18 min.
8. Commando (Atari 2600) - 12 min.
9. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 10 min.
10. Gamatic 7706 (Pong) - 4 min.
10. Santa Lucia (Intellivision) - 4 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1020)
2. Atari Lynx (757)
3. Atari 2600 (576)
4. PlayStation (566)
5. NES/Famicom (466)
6. SNES (460)
7. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (321)
8. PC (Windows 95/98) (200)
9. PC (DOS) (169)
10. Atari 7800 (118)

It is a bit of a fantasy week over here, headed by Final Fantasy VIII with honorable mentions of Phantasy Star II in 4th and Cosmic Fantasy 2 in 5th. A brand new Lynx homebrew (well, a port from other systems AFAIK) and the combo Sonic 3 & Knuckles also sneak in on top 5. Pre-NES we have old time favorites such as Kaboom!, Solar Fox and Pac-Man Collection, with an observation it only took 4 minutes to enter that list this week. The collective of homebrews makes the Lynx the most played Atari system, but still beaten by the Genesis in a week with a good amount of diversity.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) becomes member #384 in the 1000 Minute Club with 1101 minutes so far, and also is the first TG-CD (*) game to enter the club.

(*) Interesting abbreviation, could mean something completely else outside the world of retro gaming, though I think the two sides are not entirely compatible over there.

• Like 7

On 9/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, carlsson said:

True, plus that Assembloids as such also exists for the C64, Atari 2600, Atari 8-bit, MSX and Atari ST, plus that I see the developers are working on a ZX Spectrum version.

I believe also a supervision version was/is in development as well

Edit: yes I found the Facebook post announcement :)

FB_IMG_1568904439984.jpg

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 4

On 9/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, carlsson said:

Here's the summary for Week 37, running from September 9 - 15. We logged 4721 minutes of eligible play, playing 49 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation) - 566 min.
2. Assembloids (Atari Lynx) - 450 min.
3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 416 min.
4. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 360 min.
5. Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) - 321 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 286 min.
7. Super Mario World (SNES) - 265 min.
8. Postal 2 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 200 min.
9. Dragon Quest V (SNES) - 195 min.
10. Mega Man 2 (NES/Famicom) - 190 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 286 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 135 min.
3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 118 min.
4. Oink! (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
5. Blue Print (Atari 2600) - 37 min.
6. Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 25 min.
7. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 18 min.
8. Commando (Atari 2600) - 12 min.
9. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - 10 min.
10. Gamatic 7706 (Pong) - 4 min.
10. Santa Lucia (Intellivision) - 4 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1020)
2. Atari Lynx (757)
3. Atari 2600 (576)
4. PlayStation (566)
5. NES/Famicom (466)
6. SNES (460)
7. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (321)
8. PC (Windows 95/98) (200)
9. PC (DOS) (169)
10. Atari 7800 (118)

It is a bit of a fantasy week over here, headed by Final Fantasy VIII with honorable mentions of Phantasy Star II in 4th and Cosmic Fantasy 2 in 5th. A brand new Lynx homebrew (well, a port from other systems AFAIK) and the combo Sonic 3 & Knuckles also sneak in on top 5. Pre-NES we have old time favorites such as Kaboom!, Solar Fox and Pac-Man Collection, with an observation it only took 4 minutes to enter that list this week. The collective of homebrews makes the Lynx the most played Atari system, but still beaten by the Genesis in a week with a good amount of diversity.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) becomes member #384 in the 1000 Minute Club with 1101 minutes so far, and also is the first TG-CD (*) game to enter the club.

(*) Interesting abbreviation, could mean something completely else outside the world of retro gaming, though I think the two sides are not entirely compatible over there.

Hmmm... could it be that my Ms. Pac-Man entry from last week was overlooked? Or is the C-64 not being considered a pre-NES system? I believe it should be because it has first been released earlier than the Famicom / NES in every market (I think it's 1982 / 1983 in the first market, and 1983 / 1987 in Europe). And I consider Ms. Pac-Man a "classic" game anyway, which screams "pre-crash" in any way, especially since it's been released for the C-64 on a 16K cartridge, which became highly unusual after the crash.

• Like 3

Here are my times for the past week (September 16th through 22nd)...

Commodore 64:

Ms. Pac-Man - 24 min. in 2 sessions

I played the same game as last week, but not for quite as long... I still hope the times will be counted this time. Today I reached the 5th level (the apple) on it.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Kurt_Woloch said:

Hmmm... could it be that my Ms. Pac-Man entry from last week was overlooked?

No, but your clumsy commissioner (that is me!) misplaced your C64 entry as Atari Lynx, thus it got filtered out for the pre-NES list. I will update the all-time stats, though I don't have the credits to update the post above. Sorry. ?

• Like 3