IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 41, running from October 7 - 13. We logged 3268 minutes of eligible play, playing 75 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tetris 2 (NES/Famicom) - 741 min.

2. Doom II (PC (DOS)) - 435 min.
3. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 300 min.
4. Dragon Quest V (SNES) - 160 min.
5. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 124 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 114 min.
7. Block Out (Arcade) - 102 min.
8. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 77 min.
9. Bonk's Adventure (TG-16/PC Engine) - 75 min.
10. Cosmic Fantasy 2 (TG-CD/PC Engine CD) - 72 min

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 124 min.

2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 114 min.
3. Front Line (Atari 2600) - 71 min.
4. Lode Runner (C64) - 67 min.
5. Planet Smashers (Atari 7800) - 62 min.
6. H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
7. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 43 min.
8. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 38 min.
9. Pitfall! (Atari 2600) - 32 min.
10. Boulder Dash (demo) (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
10. Galagon (demo) (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
10. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
10. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (762)
2. Atari 2600 (584)
3. PC (DOS) (435)
4. Arcade (360)
5. Genesis (300)
6. SNES (160)
7. Atari 5200 (159)
8. Atari 7800 (105)
9. Dreamcast (99)
10. TG-16/PC Engine (95)

In terms of number of games played, this was the 8th most busy week this year, but going by number of minutes only the 26th most busy. Nevertheless, Tetris 2 on the NES becomes the most played game this week, and with a little help from Gauntlet secures the systems title. The pre-NES games are further down the list, Dig Dug on the arcade version just barely takes the title in front of Solar Fox.

Despite so many candidate games, none breaks the 1000 or 5000 minute barriers this week.

As always, late additions are welcome and will be included in week 42 together with what you play this current week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this past week (October 14th through 20th)...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 88 min. in 8 sessions

Ms. Pac-Man - 10 min.

Channel F:

Pac-Man - 25 min. in 2 sessions

Nothing fancy, nothing new... I only played some variations of Pac-Man this week. Still, that I'm playing games at all is a good sign telling I'm slowly returning to normal operation after some "exception" weeks caused by my father's stay in the hospital. I only played one game of Ms. Pac-Man since I've been playing it excessively in the last weeks already, but I threw in some Jr. Pac-Man which I haven't played for a while, and for a comparison also the Channel F version of Pac-Man.

This was actually spurred by some thoughts about an algorithm which might play this game using some kind of gravity formula in order to determine the player's movements where the ghosts would repel the player, and the dots and fruits would attract it. You could do a similar thing for determining the movements of a juicer or charger putting out freshly charged scooters for a scooter sharing business like Lime and Bird... in this case the points where the scooters need to be put would attract the juicer, and when collecting the scooters the scooters to collect would attract the juicer.

To this extent, I also thought out a concept how to create a service area by calculating a "gravity strength" for each point by adding up the square of all distances from scooters and designating all points above a given strength as the service area. Turns out that if you do this in a way that gives a service area of 1 square mile for one scooter, the resulting combined service area should be exactly as many square miles large as there are scooters.

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
Firefleet - 38 min.
Jet Boot Jack - 13 min.

VIC-20:
Äventyr 1 [Fredrik Haglund] - 4 min.

A bit more HSC (this round lasts until October 31 so some of these games will be featured for another 1 or 2 weeks), plus that I played through one of the text adventures my brother once captured from a radio broadcast back in 1984-85 or something. As some of you might be familiar with, in some countries they experimented with broadcasting listeners' own computer programs on FM radio, usually sent after midnight so regular listeners wouldn't freak out from hearing the audio signals meant to be recorded to tape and played back. Over here they had that program running semi regularly for two years but very few of the contributions have been archived today, or at least are known to origin from the radio broadcast. This fellow Fredrik Haglund managed to get them to broadcast not only one, but two short text adventures for the unexpanded VIC-20 (all in Swedish) of which I played the first one. I was just about to get into the feeling of the adventure when it told me BOOM, I had solved the game without no obvious reason why or how. Perhaps I will try the sequel some other day to see if it is any more challenging.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Pursuit of the Pink Panther - 23 min.

Arcade:
Mega Man: The Power Battle - 30 min.
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - 48 min.

PlayStation:
Mega Man 8 - 462 min.

Beat the latter three games. Mega Man 8 was played via the Mega Man Anniversary Collection (as were the two arcade games), and as far as I know it's the PlayStation version emulated.

• Like 7

Little bit of Classic Gaming time this past week.

Arcade:

Dig Dug -- 340 minutes

C64:

JumpMan -- 121 minutes

Spent a little bit of time troubleshooting the version of JumpMan that came on my C64 Mini- I learned that the JumpMan and JumpMan 2 ROMS on the Mini are PAL.  Needless to say, the NTSC version plays much better. ;)

Lode Runner -- 58 minutes

• Like 5

It was another pretty slow week around here, but we've got a good bit of classic gaming time to contribute! :)

PC-DOS

Doom II (played on Nintendo Switch) - 300 minutes

Sega Genesis

Castlevania: Bloodlines - 120 minutes

Dragon's Fury - 52 minutes

Streets of Rage (played on Genesis 6-Pak) - 114 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Alien Trilogy - 27 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

613 minutes (10 hours 13 minutes) [613 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

PC-DOS: 300 minutes

Sega Genesis: 286 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 27 minutes

• Like 4

5 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Arcade:

Tempest, 30? min. 

Question: I picked up a Tempest replicade, which is actually really good. Does it go here or in modern games?

It says on the manufacturer's website:

These miniaturized sixth scale arcade machines are fully playable using the original controls, run the original game ROMs, and are officially licensed by the original manufacturers.

I suppose that qualifies for it to be listed in the classic tracker as emulation of the arcade game. We previously had some dedicated handhelds from Basic FUN and MGA Entertainment which we were uncertain if they run original ROMs or reimplement the games, which is why those ended up in the modern tracker but in this case we'll have to trust the manufacturer. :-D

• Like 3

My times... late, but here...

SNES/SFC

Dragon Quest V - 157 min (Mostly grinding, but also trying out a dungeon that kicked my butt earlier.  Was able to get to the end, but it appears there's something else I've got to do to get the item at the end to appear, which means more running around in the dungeon, which means I'll need more levels to survive longer/better in there.)

Genesis

Phantasy Star II - 173 min (Doing nothing but grinding for levels and items now.  Using Shir's theft ability to try to steal some nice items, but it takes a long time.  There's two RNGs working against me.  Have to keep going in and out of shops until she steals something, and then when she finally does, is it the item I'm looking for.  But, after I get everyone leveled up where I want and all the items I'm looking for, then it's time for the final battle.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's the summary for Week 42, running from October 14 - 20. We logged 3160 minutes of eligible play, playing 38 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Mega Man 8 (PlayStation) - 462 min.

2. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 340 min.
3. Doom II (PC (DOS)) - 300 min.
4. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 270 min.
5. Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - 173 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 160 min.
7. Dragon Quest V (SNES) - 157 min.
8. Jumpman (C64) - 121 min.
9. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis) - 120 min.
10. Streets of Rage (Genesis) - 114 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 340 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 160 min.
3. Jumpman (C64) - 121 min.
4. Warlords (Atari 2600) - 90 min.
5. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 88 min.
6. Lode Runner (C64) - 58 min.
7. Tutankham (Atari 2600) - 58 min.
8. G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike (Atari 2600) - 47 min.
9. Firefleet (Atari 8-bit) - 38 min.
10. Kickman (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
10. Tempest (Arcade) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Arcade (546)
2. Atari 2600 (492)
3. PlayStation (489)
4. Genesis (459)
5. PC (DOS) (300)
6. Dreamcast (270)
7. C64 (179)
8. SNES (157)
9. TG-16/PC Engine (150)
10. Atari 8-bit (51)

While 6 out of 10 games on the top 10 list remain the same as last week, noone matches Mega Man 8 which grabs the title ahead of Dig Dug which instead wins he pre-NES category, and helps the Arcade category be the most played system, with a close battle for spots 2-4. Noteworthy is that this week saw 0 minutes added to Kaboom! Less noteworthy is that no game exceeded 1000 or 5000 minutes.

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Frankenstein's Monster (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Halloween (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Missile Command - 27 minutes

Pac-Man - 16 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Dungeon Stalker (for HSC) - 17 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 39 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My Dungeon Stalker gameplay footage, standard skill, score 63,500 points for 7800 HSC 2019, Round 4

2) My Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage, with Pac-Man Plus on fast mode

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
Jet Boot Jack - 12 min.

PC Windows 95/98:
Virtual Pool Hall - 25 min.

VIC-20:
Bewitched - 6 min.

So a little more HSC, followed by something different. I found Virtual Pool Hall in a drawer, a game I bought probably a decade ago or more. Its recommended settings are Pentium 106 MHz or better - not sure I've ever seen that clock frequency, 32 MB RAM, 20 MB HDD and DirectX 7.0. Amazingly it installed and played without a hitch on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine (3 GHz AMD A8-3870). I don't know if that is the norm or an exception.

I also wanted to try out the VIC-20 Pink Panther demo posted on the forum, but it turned out to just a still image without any form of input or action so it wasn't much to log. Instead I played a copy of Bewitched which turns out to be missing some intialization leading to near infinitive lives until it suddenly crashed. Some other day I might investigate what it takes to set it up to play properly, given it was the very first computer game I ever played at the age of 9.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (October 21st through 27th, 2019) for classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 88 min. in 7 sessions

Atari 7800:

Baby Pac-Man - 25

This week I played a bit more than last week, and I also replayed the 7800 version of Baby PacMan which i helped creating by implementing the pinball physics.

• Like 4

Times...

TurboGrafx-CD

Loom - 240 min (Ended up playing all the way through this.  Lucas Arts point and click game if you're not familiar with it.  Was pretty straight forward.  The puzzles weren't crazy stupid obscure like many point and click adventures.  I only had to check a walk through three times.)

Genesis

Phantasy Star 2 - 40 min (Didn't play this one long.  Need to grind some levels.  Almost to the end, though.).

The Magic School Bus:  Space Exploration Game - 5 min (I was a bus.  Shooting asteroids.  In space.  I didn't get much farther than that.)

Wardner - 5 min (Just trying it out.  Had never heard of it.  A platformer.  Didn't seem too impressive for the Genesis.)

Sega-CD (wasn't sure if this was considered a separate console...)

Popful Mail - 310 min (Started in on this one.  It's easy to see why this is an expensive Sega-CD game.  Great graphics, great sound, great cut scenes, great voice acting, great control...  I mean, there's not much not to love.  It's a platforming RPG kind of game... feels pretty similar to Wonder Boy III if you've played that.  You have a sword and shield and can buy upgrades and items.  There's no leveling up.  The action is all platforming sword play, but there are some ranged weapons, and you can change characters that have slightly different abilities.  Just seems like a really fun game.  But a few areas can be pretty difficult.  We'll see if I continue with it through to completion or not.)

GameBoy

Final Fantasy Adventure - 30 min (Played this one for a little bit.  More of a Zelda like game, with overhead action.  No turn based battles or anything.  Not very far into it, but seems pretty cool.)

NES

Super Mario Bros. - 10 min (Just kinda messed around with this while on vacation.  Didn't beat it.  I haven't done that in years.  And it'd take longer than 10 minutes probably. lol )

Atari Lynx

Xybots - 10 min (I loved this game in the arcade.  It was one of those that had special twisting joysticks and was really very intuitive.  The home ports I've played have not had that luxury, and this one is no different.  I did okay, though, so maybe it's not all bad.  Just played until I died, but it took a while and I think I was on level 6 or so.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 3