IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Here are my times for this past week (July 8th through 14th)...

Mattel Aquarius:

Burger TIme - 28 min.

Atari 2600:

Boulder Dash (Demo?) - 10 min.

Burger Time - 159 min. in 3 sessions

Colecovision:

Burger Time - 10 min.

Q*Bert - 20 min

Commodore 64:

Burger Time 1997 - 31 min.

Intellivision:

Burger Time - 61 min.

TI-99:

Burger Time - 20 min.

This week I mainly played various versions of Burger Time in order to compare them to ChaoticGrill on the Atari 2600, also to compare how well the music is translated. The most challenging one actually seems to be the Atari 2600 version although I didn't try to finish the Mattel Aquarius version.

While at it, on the Colecovision I also played a game of Q*Bert which lasted 20 minutes, and on the Atari 2600 I also played Boulder dash... this is the version "BoulderDash100.bin" which is probably a demo since as far as I know the finished version was never released. I didn't manage to get through the 1st level... I guess you have to somehow create the diamonds you're suppose to collect by interacting with walls, but I don't exactly know how.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Draconian - 40 minutes

Mappy - 105 minutes

Squish 'Em - 7 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 73 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My Mappy gameplay footage recorded via camera (final video for 2019 Harmony Games)

2) My Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage recorded via camera (Pac-Man, Plus OFF, Fast ON, 3 lives and Cherries)

• Like 3

Just one with any time to speak of this week...

TurboGrafx-16

Neutopia - 89 min (This was another stream.  Started a new game and did the first two dungeons.  Didn't play much longer after that as it was getting late.  Probably going to play more of it this week.  We'll see.)

• Like 4

Well, it's pretty much PDP week here and it's going to stay that way for a bit.

PDP-11

Barmen - 20 minutes

Dungeon - 74 minutes

Tetris - 104 minutes

Super Star Trek - 55 minutes

VIC-20

Omega Race - 22 minutes

So, after a bunch of digging around I found that some of the old classics - Zork and Tetris - had some amount of start in the PDP-7 and PDP-11s, neat-o.

Barmen is Tapper except I can't figure out how to actually get it to play... it started working somehow but I still have no idea, maybe another time? Dungeon is pre-Infocom Zork and neat at that, my build is from '78 anyways and plays just nicely under RT-11 - I couldn't get it to run for the longest time, turns out I just needed to go back from v5.7 of the OS to v5.3 as it takes up less RAM, whoops. Tetris is Tetris, I never knew but the Electronika 60 that it was made on is just a Soviet clone of either a LSI-11/03 or -11/23 down to even running RT-11, so yeah it just worked fine for me as I'm using a -11/23+ with RT-11 as my only operating system. I pulled up Super Star Trek, I'm just starting to get the game but it's definitely fun even if I don't get it half the time. Reminds me of the Compucolor version, probably the same game with some changes, but I'd have to take the Compucolor out to actually tell if that's any true. Finally the VIC comes up with Omega Race which is just fun so I don't have much else to say on it.

So yeah, as I said above, basically just a PDP week for me - I should be getting a disk controller in the mail tomorrow which could run something like four floppy drives and another four MFM hard drives once I get the breakout board for it. I'd love to have actual hard disk storage so I could start trying things like UNIX - at the moment I'm using an emulated serial-based tape drive, but with this thing using old Winchester disks I'm a bit weary about buying in as the price seems insane on most of these Seagates - so I need to look into drive emulators soon here.

Expect some X68000 for next week as I'm getting three more in that I found super cheap to fix up, one will be a birthday gift for a coworker who's wanted one and the other two will probably be sold to fund my new thing for minicomputers as I already own more than enough 68Ks and should honestly be cutting down on them instead of getting more.

Edited by BurritoBeans
speleng is good
  • Like 4

Final Star Force (arcade) 10 mins
Daioh (arcade) 45 mins turns out Gekioh: Shooting King is related (a port?) to this game. This version does seem a bit harder but I still like it.
Sorcer Striker (arcade) 75 mins I love this game. I always play as Miyamoto (the dragon).
Mega Bomberman (Genesis) 25 min Amazing game! One weird thing though is that the music slows down when you use the minecart.
Ultimate Doom (PC (DOS)) 45 mins

• Like 4

Ineligible 

Darkwood (Nintendo Switch) - 1,005 minutes

Fox n Forests (Nintendo Switch) - 280 minutes

Outlast II (Nintendo Switch) - 155 minutes

Pac-Man Vs. (Played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 15 minutes

PAW Patrol: On a Roll! (Nintendo Switch) - 60 minutes

Arcade 

Pac-Man (Played on Namco Museum Arcade Pac for Nintendo Switch) - 25 minutes

Dedicated Handheld

World's Smallest Tiny Arcade: Pac-Man - 21 minutes

Sega CD

AH-3 Thunderstrike - 44 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,605 minutes (26 hours 45 minutes) [90 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,515 minutes

Sega CD: 44 minutes

Arcade: 25 minutes

Dedicated Handheld 21 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 28, running from July 8 - 14. We logged 1726 minutes of eligible play, playing 31 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Burgertime (Atari 2600) - 159 min.

2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 145 min.
3. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PlayStation) - 140 min.
4. Mappy (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
6. Tetris (Alexsey Pajitnov 1984) (PDP-11) - 104 min.
7. Neutopia (TG-16/PC Engine) - 89 min.
8. Tetris (NES/Famicom) - 88 min.
9. Sorcer Striker (Arcade) - 75 min.
10. Dungeon (pre-Infocom Zork) (PDP-11) - 74 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Burgertime (Atari 2600) - 159 min.
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 145 min.
3. Mappy (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
5. Tetris (Alexsey Pajitnov 1984) (PDP-11) - 104 min.
6. Dungeon (pre-Infocom Zork) (PDP-11) - 74 min.
7. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 73 min.
8. BurgerTime (Intellivision) - 61 min.
9. Super Star Trek (PDP-11) - 55 min.
10. Draconian (Atari 2600) - 40 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (622)
2. PDP-11 (253)
3. Arcade (155)
4. PlayStation (140)
5. TG-16/PC Engine (89)
6. NES/Famicom (88)
7. Atari 7800 (73)
8. Intellivision (61)
9. PC (DOS) (45)
10. Sega CD (44)

Welll, well... This week had an unusually low turnout - probably many on vacations or otherwise busy (yes, I binge watched too much nonsense YouTube videos so I'm part to blame). To find Burgertime (though the 2600 version) and Kaboom! at the top perhaps is not so shocking, but to find the PDP-11 the second most played system this week surely is! It even occupies three spots in the pre-NES list. Somehow I doubt we'll ever see that again when the competition grows stronger. As you'll notice, I moved Jin's Tiny Arcade minutes to the modern tracker as I wasn't certain it contained a full arcade emulation or reimplementations, that made a difference of 25 minutes.

No new entries on the 1000 Minute Club, but we finally reached 9000 games with minutes tracked on them. I believe Barmen on the PDP-11 may have been the 9000th. At the end I have added a few 0 minute entries, games where the sequel was played or games loaded but wouldn't run, which brings the total list up to 9006 named games.

If anyone forgot to post their minutes, of course I'll add them for next week!

• Like 6

Ugh, I didn’t have a chance to report in time so I’m partly responsible for the low numbers. Here’s what I would have reported...

Intellivision:

Bomb Squad - 210 minutes

My 13 yo loves this game and built a program to optimize determining the correct digit. 

• Like 5

After a while of absence due to insanely busy real life, here is at least a little contribution:

C64

Age of Heroes: 21 min

A fairly recent homebrew. Not too bad, but not super brilliant either. Still fun to play. It's a fantasy Conan-Rastan-esque platformer. I bought the download and played it on VICE. Another homebrew, Aviator Arcade II - this time a boxed cart version - is in the mail and should arrive soonish. I'll report when I had a chance to play it.

• Like 5

If only I could blame insanely busy real life... more like procrastinating and being super lazy. But hey! I got at least some retro gaming on this Sunday afternoon.

Atari 8-bit:
Frogger II - 11 min.

Yes, that is the current HSC round. Hopefully I can cram in a little more minutes next week, though I already notice I'm far behind the leaders so just as usual, I'll be battling for perhaps 5-6th place out of ~8 participants.

• Like 4

Well, nothing more for today because it's finally not hot and I want to do work outside, so...

Atari 2600

Kaboom - 250 minutes

Atari 5200

Moon Patrol - 45 minutes

PC-9801

Dead of the Brain - 560 minutes

PDP-11

Tetris - 30 minutes

RCA Studio II

Squash - 14 minutes

X68000

Akumajō Dracula - 200 minutes

Cameltry - 55 minutes

...and most of that was just in two days. Running down the list I broke out the 2600 for Kaboom and got really into it, man why do I keep forgetting that it's a fun game? The 5200 was out for a bit of Moon Patrol, I keep forgetting that I don't have space for it on my shelf that hold systems by the PC and need to use it in a different room, so I think I spent more time moving it than I did playing. PC-98 makes an appearance as I found out someone had done a translation for Dead of the Brain - it crashes a bit and I don't think I'd have wrote some of the same text but I mean for a quick and non-machine translation it's actually really nice to see, cool of whoever did it - I'll still stick to just reading the JP text but this was neat. The PDP came out for more Tetris and trying to run a C compiler, yeah C was different back then so that was fun to try and figure out. The Studio II got brought down by the PC from my room and I quickly realized that I'd much rather be playing with a ELF or VIP with some chip-8 games but hey whatever Squash isn't a bad Pong game. Finally the X68000 pops up as I fixed up three - all of them had dead power supplies, one of them in addition had broke drive belts on the floppy drives and another was missing a power switch. Some capacitors, belts, 3D printed parts, and video cables later and I got them all working. Tested them with my two go-to games, got the one out the door just in time for its intended purpose of a birthday present with a SCSI2SD full of games and the other two are waiting around on the shelf now - still no clue what to do with them but my personal 68K collection is now sitting at 11 systems and I only really need one (maybe two just to keep a 68030 in case?) so I'll probably start trying to find some of these a good new home.

Hopefully next week will be something interesting but I get the idea it's not going to be, have to go deal with my university messing up and deleting my schedule about a month before classes start for the second semester in a row, going to have to try and get back in the courses that are now full because I lost my spot due to this, and also work exists... maybe I'll beat something for once in a good while? So far Dead of the Brain is just about the only title I've actually completed this summer.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (July 15th through 21st)...

Atari 2600:

Tom's Eierjagd - 20 min.

Lilly Adventure - 14 min.

Mattel Aquarius:

Burger Time - 78 min. in 3 sessions

This week the most time was spent with continuing to play "Burger Time" on the Mattel Aquarius which is a quite challenging version. Today I managed to complete the 6th screen and advance to the 7th one which is quite different to the one in the Intellivision version.

Tom's Eierjagd and Lilly Adventure both were released in the ITT Family series (albeit maybe under a different name) or at least should have been. They had the "Pumuckl" as a mascot, and "Tom's Eierjagd" should actually be "Pumuckl's Eierjagd" because he's the main creature there. The game even plays a somewhat distorted version of the title music of the "Pumuckl" TV cartoon series. But there was already a different Pumuckl game in the series (an adaptation of "Zoo Fun"), so maybe ITT realized they only had the rights to put out one actual game featuring Pumuckl, so they renamed the his 2nd occurence to "Tom", but kept the graphics and music intact.

Lilly Adventure should have been released in the Family series as well, but clearly doesn't feature Pumuckl as the main character. Instead, it seems to be closely adapted from "Bobby's going home", but it plays notably different music... I could make out covers of "Hänschen klein" and "Jingle Bells" among other well-known children's songs. And it actually plays quite tricky variations on the music, using different arpeggios, pitches and instruments for the same tune to keep things interested  For a VCS game I think the music is pretty complex and well done. And the game actually seems to be more difficult as well... I couldn't reach the frist level goal, if there is one at all.

• Like 6

A few classic games for me this week...

TurboGrafx

Bonk's Adventure - 30 min (Usually do much better at this one.  Played until I got a game over.  Got a new CRT and this is the first game I played on it.  Girlfriend asked me, "What's that high pitched whine?"  I didn't hear it, but apparently the TV was giving off some high pitched tone.  Turned off the TV and she said it stopped.  I did start getting a headache while playing, though... so maybe my new TV isn't so great after all.  Dammit...)

Neutopia (emulated) - 100 min (Went through another dungeon... maybe two, can't remember now.  I'll play more this coming week.  I start off each play doing terribly, but slowly get used to the controls again.  I'm hoping to finish this and then maybe go to Neutopia 2.)

SNES

Dragon Quest V (emulated) - 197 min (Played a pretty decent amount on this one... mostly while streaming on Twitch, but it seems there's going to be some grinding on this one and that doesn't always make for an exciting stream.  But I'm enjoying it so far.  It does seem to be just barely a step above the NES, though... I mean, looking at something like this and then at something like Secret of Mana that came out about a year later, there's a huge difference.)

GameBoy

The Legend of Zelda:  Link's Awakening (emulated) - 60 min (Started this one up after finishing up Minish Cap.  Definitely going to be playing more Zelda games and seeing if I can finish more in the series.  Minish Cap makes only the third Zelda game I've finished, but the second this year.  I used to have the cartridge to Link's Awakening, but it got lost somewhere along the way.  So it's kind of unfinished business...)

• Like 7

Terra Cresta (NES/Famicom) 15 mins
Aero Fighters (arcade/Neo Geo) 10 mins
Baryon - Future Assault (arcade) 10 mins
Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons (arcade) 65 mins beat the first loop of this shoot em up. I love that the 'ships' are like robo-dragons... so cool!
Metamorphic Force (arcade) 75 mins beat this game and man is it anthro-city I love it! Never played it before until now. I knew the final boss was going to transform into a dragon! I played as the panther-guy. Did not bother with another loop.
Sorcer Striker (arcade) 10 mins I tried playing this on my laptop using MAME and it it ran too slow and the sound kept skipping. The laptop is too underpowered. it runs flawlessly on my desktop.
Super Mario World (SNES) 45 mins I was visiting home... played some 2 - player SMW with my sister. This was emulated as I did not feel like bringing my SNES with me.
Override (PC Engine) 40 mins

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 6

Nothing for me this week. Didn't feel up to dealing with a grindy RPG on the flight home (as I'd planned to do), and felt too jet-lagged to play anything in the ensuing couple of days.

Had a nice time in Western Europe, though (mostly France and Belgium) -- great food, great beer!

• Like 7

Times hope the week are:

atari 2600:

breakout 37 mins

eggomania 22 mins

kaboom 14 mins

solar fox 56 mins

for NES for high score club

Tetris 335 mins 488,900. First place so far. One of only two nes games I’ve playing the last thirty years. 

9DD9E820-B0EE-4AFA-81C5-0F505BC68DF7.jpeg

• Like 5