IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Not likely I'll get a ton of gaming in tomorrow.  

These times are from my whole family... kids did quite a bit of playing this week.

Mac OS Classic:

5-a-Day Adventures (45 minutes)

Age of Empires II (240 minutes)

Barbie Beauty Styler (90 minutes)

Barbie Mermaid Adventure (30 minutes)

Enduro-(AGP) (20 minutes)

Lemmings (40 minutes)

Pitfall-(AGP) (15 minutes)

Theldrow (40 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Alpiner (30 minutes)

Eric in Monsterland (30 minutes)

Micro Pinball II (45 minutes)

Realms of Antiquity (480 minutes)

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Pac-Man - 29 minutes

Spitfire Attack (for HSC) - 6 minutes

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle (for HSC) - 10 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Fight Night (for HSC) - 15 minutes

Food Fight (for HSC) -25 minutes

Jinks (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Mat Mania Challenge (for HSC) - 20 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 60 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My 2600 Pac-Man gameplay footage - Game 3 B/B - 35,638 points

2) My 7800 Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage: Hangly-Man on fast mode

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

Atari 8-bit:
Adventure Ponies - 14 min.
Banana - 4 min.
Food Fight - 6 min.
Highway Encounter - 2 min.
Mah Jong - 52 min.
Mister Hoppe - 10 min.
Peril - 16 min.
Turkey Chase - 7 min.

Odyssey^2 / Videopac G7000:
I Like Bacon - 2 min.
Tutankham - 5 min.

The Atari games of course belong to the HSC, some from the end of round 20 and the others from the beginning of the short round 21. Then I decided I wanted to play something else so I spent a good amount of time trying to find a suitable PSU for my own-modded G7000 which turns out to have an iffy power switch, combined with no LED to indicate that it is on, makes searching for the RF channel extra tedious. Eventually I found a working combo though. I believe I'll mod this further with a better power switch, a LED and perhaps a composite or RGB mod so I don't have to rely on antenna.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Opry99er said:

Mac OS Classic:
Enduro-(AGP) (20 minutes)

Pitfall-(AGP) (15 minutes)

I just read up on Activision Atari 2600 Action Pack 1 & 2 for MacOS (and Windows). Apparently these packages come with a full Atari 2600 emulator (though perhaps not the most cycle perfect one) and there even are comments how you can patch the package to add your own ROMs. Thus it could be discussed if the times should be counted towards the 2600, just like we do when those games are played on a standalone emulator. For the moment I'll let them remain as MacOS titles though, as it is not obviously a separate emulator and ROM files.

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/activisions-atari-2600-action-pack

• Like 3

Yes indeed...  we talked about this in 2017 or 2018....  I can't remember which one. 

if I recall correctly, we decided that the emulation wasn't close enough to put them towards the 2600, but it may be a good idea to revisit that decision, given the info in that link.  :) 

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (December 2nd through 8th)...

Arcade:

Turtles - 195 min. in 4 sessions

Odyssey^2:

Turtles - 113 min. in 3 sessions

This week I played two versions of Turtles, the original arcade one and the Odyssey^2 / G7000 one. In both versions I eventually managed to get to the roof, but on the arcade version it took me longer than expected.

I found out that while on the Odyssey^2, the sequence of house positions is random, it follows a pattern in the arcade... the sequence is always upper left - lower right - upper right - lower left and then repeats. Thus you can anticipate where the next house will appear and plan your path accordingly. On the Odyssey^2 you have to wait until you've picked up a baby to see where the house appears. Other than that, it appears that the Odyssey^2 version is pretty much as close to the arcade as possible (under the system's limitations). The sound effects are similar as well, and the floor numbers are spelled out in both versions (e.g. "First floor"). This is contrary to all other arcade ports Magnavox put out which are always pretty much distorted from what's probably the original version. In most Odyssey^2 games, you only have one life, while in Turtles you have several and even get a bonus turtle at 5000 points (as in the arcade). I think the Odyssey^2 in this case got the best home port of this game because all other home ports are more distorted (except maybe on the Casio console whose version I didn't get to play yet).

• Like 5

Sorcer Striker (arcade) 100 mins I played through the second loop this time. Only real difference was that when you die you don't drop your powerups.
Arrow Flash (Genesis) 110 mins. Tried default game at first. It had no autofire. I got to the end of Stage 2. Changed options: set it on easy, 7 lives, 
and autofire on and I got to stage 5 (the finals stage) the second time. I still had to use a bunch of continues to even get there. The third time I played I got 2/3 of the way through the final stage
I'm not very good at horizontal shmups, but currently 
it's my second favorite horizontal shmup, first being PC Denjin: Punkic Cyborgs (Air Zonk).

• Like 5

My times for the week:

SNES:
Donald Duck no Mahou no Boushi (Donald Duck and the Magical Hat) - 56 min.

Xandra no Daibouken: Valkyrie to no Deai - 21 min.
Whirlo - 37 min.

Super A’can:
Speedy Dragon (Yin Su Fei Long) - 3 min.

Beat Donald Duck on Hard.

Meanwhile Xandra and Whirlo are the same game, with the latter being a super-rare English localization that apparently was only released in Spain (!); I'd never heard of it until I put a little time into Xandra and decided to find out why such an obviously polished game hadn't been fan-translated.

• Like 5

Times for The week. 
all Atari 2600. 
Bermuda triangle 18 mins

Eggomania 103 mins. High score of 208,910. PB. 
Ladybug 11 mins. 
laser Blast 15 mins

sky Diver 8 mins

Solar Fox 144 mins

Spitfire 4 mins

Squish em 42 mins

Star Wars death 5 mins

thunderground 49 mins

tutankham 8 mins. 
all fun. 

F0922ABE-99BA-4424-8F8A-A1E065860CD0.jpeg

• Like 4

I have some good time spanning a couple of gaming generations this week! 

Work was to where I had to spend 80% of it in my office versus telecommuting, so I was able to get some good breaks in for my C64.  Keeping time is pretty easy for these since I try to block it out precisely versus my work schedule. 

C64:

Attack of the Mutant Camels -- 40 minutes

Frostbite -- 20 minutes

H.E.R.O -- 40 minutes

Hover Bovver -- 40 minutes

Wizard of Wor -- 20 minutes

I found where Jeff Minter had made a few combo files of the Llamasoft games- that meant Hover Bovver and Attack of the Mutant Camels!  I also got some time in on the very excellent port of Activision's Frostbite and played H.E.R.O. for the first time.  Why hadn't I played this game before? lol

I rounded out my C64 time with some Wizard of Wor.  My preference is the version that has the black background (versus I think the Commodore MAX version)- it's just a fantastic port.

Game Boy:

Final Fantasy Legend -- 123 minutes

I started an FFL game up Saturday night at bedtime to see how the game played- it's pretty barebones but I enjoyed what I played through.  I do think when I pick it back up I'll start over now that I have a grasp on the mechanics for this game/Secret of Mana.

Sega Genesis:

Phantasy Star IV -- 120 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 -- 26 minutes

Streets of Rage 2 -- 128 minutes

I had intended to play Sonic 2 a bit more but I ended up dying to a really crappy clipping bug in the Aquatic Ruins zone so that pretty much soured me on playing the rest of the week since my feelings were hurt, haha.  I was playing through Aquatic Ruins (underwater, ugh) then Sonic clipped through the bottom of the stage and subsequently died.  I have played this game off and on since its release and never run into this!

I started up a Phantasy Star IV game because I had never really played JRPGs on the Genesis- it's a weird game compared to the Square/Enix games of the same time period if you're only used to the SNES ones.  One thing that threw me off a little bit is that I had to look up what the heck some of the spells/etc were since there's no indication on what they are in the game.  I did like how the combat and menu systems were laid out, plus the anime-style speech bubbles were pretty cool.  I put a couple hours into it and may pick back up this week.

Super Nintendo:

Secret of Mana -- 1120 minutes

Never having played Secret of Mana on the SNES before, I started up a game Saturday night as well.  One of the things I noticed *immediately* is that if you're used to turn-based RPGs it's waaaaay different. I played through to the first boss, got killed like six times, beat the boss, then read a little bit about the battle system and started over.  SoM tends to be pretty unforgiving if you don't grind/etc, but my second playthrough is going much better.  I just finished out the part where you go to the cave by the Water Palace.  I tend to hyper-focus on games once I start them, so I imagine I'm going to sink some time into SoM over the next couple of weeks to finish it out.

One thing I do really like about the game are the visuals and the music; the controls and radial menu system took a little getting used to, though .  I feel like there are definitely similarities for the visuals/music to other games of the same era (Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, FFVI). 

• Like 4

This ended up being the biggest week for gaming I've had in quite some time, largely on account of the very difficult to put down The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but the misses and I also had a ton of fun playing Road Rash II on the Sega Genesis together Sunday night. I love OutRun and Virtua Racing, but Road Rash II may very well be my new favorite Genesis racing game! I can definitely see why so many people love this game, it really feels like the Genesis equivalent of Mario Kart. Super fun and easy to get into combat racing, but with that distinctly edgy and adult Sega Genesis style. There is definitely a lot more Road Rash II in my household's future! :D

Ineligible

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) - 1,470 minutes

Sega Genesis

Road Rash II - 223 minutes

Super Nintendo

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Played on Super Nintendo Classic Edition) - 42 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,735 minutes (28 hours 55 minutes) [265 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,470 minutes

Sega Genesis: 223 minutes

Super Nintendo: 42 minutes

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 49, running from December 2 - 8. We logged 4591 minutes of eligible play, playing 61 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Secret of Mana (SNES) - 1120 min.
2. Realms of Antiquity (TI-99/4A) - 480 min.
3. Age of Empires 2 (Mac OS Classic) - 240 min.
4. Road Rash II (Genesis) - 223 min.
5. Turtles (Arcade) - 195 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 144 min.
7. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 128 min.
8. Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy) - 123 min.
9. Phantasy Star IV (Genesis) - 120 min.
10. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 115 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Realms of Antiquity (TI-99/4A) - 480 min.
2. Turtles (Arcade) - 195 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 144 min.
4. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 115 min.
5. Turtles (Odyssey^2) - 113 min.
6. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 103 min.
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 70 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 60 min.
9. Mah Jong [Childsplay Software] (Atari 8-bit) - 52 min.
10. Micro Pinball II (TI-99/4A) - 45 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (1276)
2. Atari 2600 (661)
3. Genesis (607)
4. TI-99/4A (585)
5. Mac OS Classic (520)
6. Arcade (295)
7. C64 (160)
8. Atari 7800 (130)
9. Game Boy (123)
10. Odyssey^2 (120)

At the end of the season, the classic tracker picks up some steam, and out of the chimney comes Secret of Mana which in typical tracker fashion someone just picks up and casually sinks 18 hours into, which also propels it directly into the 1000 Minute Club as #391 with a total of 1180 minutes played. So yes, someone once had played 60 minutes before @digdugnate. On the RPG front, Realms of Antiquity yet again becomes the most played game for a pre-NES system.

Also what can not been seen on the stats, is that we got our second ever game for the Super A'Can listed. Only eight more to go to get a separate stats listing at the end of the year for most played games per system. Actually the list of systems with only one game logged is down to these 14:

Luxor ABC-80 (I should've played it far more!)

Entex Adventurevision (which only has like 4 games in total)

Apple Lisa

Apple Pippin

Compucolor 8001

Cosmac ELF

DEC Alpha

DEC PDP-1

Fujitsu FM-77 AV

Odyssey^3 / Videopac G7400
Sinclair ZX-80

Spectravideo SVI-328

Telmac 1800

Toshiba Visicom

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Here's the summary for Week 49, running from December 2 - 8. We logged 4591 minutes of eligible play, playing 61 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Secret of Mana (SNES) - 1120 min.
2. Realms of Antiquity (TI-99/4A) - 480 min.
3. Age of Empires 2 (Mac OS Classic) - 240 min.
4. Road Rash II (Genesis) - 223 min.
5. Turtles (Arcade) - 195 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 144 min.
7. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 128 min.
8. Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy) - 123 min.
9. Phantasy Star IV (Genesis) - 120 min.
10. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 115 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Realms of Antiquity (TI-99/4A) - 480 min.
2. Turtles (Arcade) - 195 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 144 min.
4. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 115 min.
5. Turtles (Odyssey^2) - 113 min.
6. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 103 min.
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 70 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 60 min.
9. Mah Jong [Childsplay Software] (Atari 8-bit) - 52 min.
10. Micro Pinball II (TI-99/4A) - 45 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (1276)
2. Atari 2600 (661)
3. Genesis (607)
4. TI-99/4A (585)
5. Mac OS Classic (520)
6. Arcade (295)
7. C64 (160)
8. Atari 7800 (130)
9. Game Boy (123)
10. Odyssey^2 (120)

At the end of the season, the classic tracker picks up some steam, and out of the chimney comes Secret of Mana which in typical tracker fashion someone just picks up and casually sinks 18 hours into, which also propels it directly into the 1000 Minute Club as #391 with a total of 1180 minutes played. So yes, someone once had played 60 minutes before @digdugnate. On the RPG front, Realms of Antiquity yet again becomes the most played game for a pre-NES system.

Also what can not been seen on the stats, is that we got our second ever game for the Super A'Can listed. Only eight more to go to get a separate stats listing at the end of the year for most played games per system. Actually the list of systems with only one game logged is down to these 14:

Luxor ABC-80 (I should've played it far more!)

Entex Adventurevision (which only has like 4 games in total)

Apple Lisa

Apple Pippin

Compucolor 8001

Cosmac ELF

DEC Alpha

DEC PDP-1

Fujitsu FM-77 AV

Odyssey^3 / Videopac G7400
Sinclair ZX-80

Spectravideo SVI-328

Telmac 1800

Toshiba Visicom

Well, if anything, I guess you can say that I'm investing in actually finishing SoM.  :)  I tend to hyperfocus on a game if it catches my interest.

• Like 3

carlsson, any chance you could check into a stat for me?  

I'm curious about the top 15 or 20 TI-99/4A games by minutes.  I think Tunnels of Doom will be the top dog, and I'm pretty sure one or two of the High score competition games are on that list, but I'm curious which ones.  The HSC games are the ones I'm interested in, since I'll be making a rundown post on that thread this week.  

Thanks!

• Like 3

Sure! I will post detailed stats after New Year so about three weeks away but I'll give you some preview right here:

Overall

1. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] - 6752 min.
2. St. Nick - 3573 min.
3. Wizard's Doom - 3345 min.
4. Henhouse - 2854 min.
5. Centipede - 2182 min.
6. Realms of Antiquity - 2100 min.
7. Never-Lander - 2025 min.
8. Werewolves & Wanderers - 1995 min.
9. Lemonade Stand - 1965 min.
10. Parsec - 1961 min.
11. Crossfire - 1931 min.
12. Alpiner - 1774 min.
13. Micro Pinball - 1616 min.
14. Q*bert - 1341 min.
15. Borzork - 1330 min.
16. TI Trek - 1300 min.
17. Road Hunter - 1228 min.
18. Bouncy - 1227 min.

This year

1. Realms of Antiquity - 2100 min.
2. Borzork - 1070 min.
3. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] - 585 min.
4. Wizard's Doom - 475 min.
5. Blasto - 457 min.
6. Legends II - 350 min.
7. Dragon's Lair - 345 min.
8. Par Fore! - 335 min.
9. Turmoil - 267 min.
10. Alpiner - 235 min.
11. Search for Bigfoot, The - 180 min.
12. Mad Marvin's Great Escape - 150 min.
13. Parsec - 142 min.
14. Indoor Soccer - 135 min.
15. Riding for the Brand - 120 min.

Top games that entered the tracker in 2019

1. Realms of Antiquity - 2100 min.
2. Dragon's Lair - 345 min.
3. Par Fore! - 335 min.
4. Search for Bigfoot, The - 180 min.
5. Caveman - 30 min.
6. Build the USA - 20 min.
7. Pyramid of Doom - 15 min.
8. Legend of Tilda - 10 min.
9. Nightstalker - 10 min.
10. Quintus - 10 min.
11. Mario Bros. (unreleased version in Extended BASIC) - 6 min.
12. Football - 4 min.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Arcade:
Championship Sprint - 3 min.
Hard Drivin' - 7 min.
Spy Hunter II - 5 min.
Wizard of Wor - 6 min.

Atari 8-bit:

Moon Patrol Redux - 16 min.

The arcade games were played as part of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on the Xbox. I found that Championship Sprint is much harder to play with a game pad (analog joystick or not) than a steering wheel, that I enjoy Stunts (4D Sports) on the PC more than the arcade game Hard Drivin', that Spy Hunter II seemed like a pointless follow-up to a classic game and that Wizard of Wor is a gazillion times more difficult in the arcade version that e.g. C64.

And yeah, another round of the A8 HSC with the new, still developed Moon Patrol Redux.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (December 9th through 15th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Ghosts 'n' Goblins - 161 min. in 4 sessions

After having completed Turtles last week, I switched games and played some Ghosts 'n' Goblins for a change. I reached the end of Level 2, but couldn't beat it.

I also tried to find a ROM for the Tomy Tutor (AKA Pyuuta) version of Turtles / Turpin, but couldn't find one. According to a Youtube video I've seen, though, it seems to be pretty choppy. I think it could have been much closer to the arcade.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
Forgot something...
  • Like 4

A good week of RPGs and Strategy for me.  And a good week of silliness for my kids.

TI-99/4A:

Legends II (60 minutes)

Old Dark Caves (10 minutes)

Par Fore! (40 minutes)

Realms of Antiquity (180 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (540 minutes)

Wizard's Doom (60 minutes)

Mac OS Classic:

5-A-Day Adventures (30 minutes)

Age of Empires II (90 minutes)

Barbie Beauty Styler (40 minutes)

Barbie Mermaid Adventure (60 minutes)

Lemmings (45 minutes)

The Manhole (20 minutes)

Theldrow (20 minutes)

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (20 minutes)

NES:

Blades of Steel (25 minutes)

• Like 5

I actually had forgotten I sunk a good amount of time into Secret of Mana Saturday/yesterday so I updated this post to reflect that.  :)  C64 times are even since i was trying hard to keep my playing to a specific time during work in the office.

Arcade:

Dig Dug -- 17 minutes

C64:

Attack of the Mutant Camels -- 60 minutes

H.E.R.O -- 60 minutes

SNES:

Secret of Mana -- 856 minutes

• Like 4