IGNORED

Looking for Slime World tips

louisg

I started trying Slime World again thanks to the Atari Lynx HandyCast. People seem to really love this game, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into it. This is my second attempt to really dig into this title. So far, I feel like I'm mostly just brute-forcing through rooms when possible, either by using the slime shield or rushing through hazards until I find a pool of water I can use.

For example, I had no idea how to get past that room where it has that maggot-volcano near the beginning other than just jumping through it and minimizing damage. I got taken out by snappers that I couldn't see, and didn't quite see a general pattern, though I noticed in that particular room that the snappers appeared where slime was dripping downward.

I must not be approaching this game correctly. Does anyone have any tips? I'd like to get to the point where I'm not just brute-forcing through hazards or memorizing, but instead playing in a generally smarter way.

I'm mostly playing the Exploration level, if that helps.

Edited by louisg
  • Like 1

No one else seems to have chimed in, so Ill simply post a reminder that Slime World hints are available in the Lynx games area on this site. From experience, I can tell you that thorough exploration is key...and that a McWill screen improves the Slime World experience immeasurably. :)

Those are good tips! A lot of the maneuvers I'm already pretty comfortable with. I think though it's the entire way I'm approaching the rooms. I have a feeling that I'm missing cues that an experienced Slime World player might pick up on. It could also be that I'm more of a Xenophobe person than a Slime World person. Like maybe Slime World just does have a lot of sudden death and relies on the frequent checkpoints to compensate, and that's just how it plays..? That said, there's something charming and magnetic about this game that makes you want to keep playing, from the big cartoony art style to the undulating environment, and it's always fun to see the next crazy thing the designer came up with.

I did find this video; this player seems like they know what they're doing

Edited by louisg

Mark Little of https://atarilynxhandycast.net will be putting up my maps for Slime World on his website soon. They might be of some help.

My experience: snappers are a surprise and require memorizing or a map. You will get better over time and the many save points are there for a reason.

Edited by LX.NET
  • Like 1

Mark Little of https://atarilynxhandycast.net will be putting up my maps for Slime World on his website soon. They might be of some help.

My experience: snappers are a surprise and require memorizing or a map. You will get better over time and the many save points are there for a reason.

Ahh ok, so with snappers, the thought process is "oh crap, I died, I better look for environmental clues next time". I wish there were a Snapper Detector that'd give you a sign if you entered a room that contains snappers-- starts beeping or something. But, death in this game is pretty free, so I guess it works out. And for combat, maybe it's not a case of absorbing damage over and over but trying to find a good position where you won't be sprayed by slime if you start popping enemies, right?

How about the maggot volcanos? I've been just rushing them, but I think that's not the right strategy.

My comparison vs. Xenophobe was more that I think Xenophobe focuses more on combat mechanics (e.g. death isn't cheap), where Slime World is more of a "big picture" game, if that makes sense. Slime World really does have a lot to explore and learn. I think it's going to be more of a taste thing rather than right-or-wrong.

I know people like to complain about the control in Slime World, but I quite like it! There is a lot you can do considering it's a 1990 game. Prince of Persia was the cutting edge then, and even that is pretty stiff by today's standards. I think people forget that a lot of platforming moves we take for granted were brand new then and Slime World lets you do way more than the average game did.

I recommend playing through Area 1 first. It's intended to be the introductory area, kinda like easy mode. That area can be cleared in maybe 30 minutes once you're comfortable with the game mechanics.

The only way past the maggot volcanoes is a slime shield. Though you can blast them for points, and if you wait for the right time you might be able to jump through while minimizing your damage.

I do remember a room where dripping slime tells you where the hidden snappers are. But for the most part, there is no way to tell where the hidden ones are. They're just an insta-kill trap that forces you to memorize the layout of some rooms. They aren't super common though - there are some areas where you'll run into them, but you can wander around without worrying about them for most of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think once you find that a room contains Snappers that it tends to be where the slime is dripping downwards.

Wow, those maps must have taken forever to draw! I'll probably stick to my own exploration just because it's so much of what makes the game what it is, but that's cool that they're out there now. I'm a bit surprised there hadn't been more FAQs written about this game given that it was pretty well-received at the time.

• Like 1