IGNORED

NES Light Gun for HDTV

Razzie.P

The NES Zapper was revolutionary for its time, offering gamers a chance to shoot down enemies and the like, using a piece of ingenious technology that interfaced with Nintendo's first home console. Despite there being plenty of retro gaming fans clinging to the NES, the Zapper isn't compatible with modern televisions or monitors, making it difficult to experience in the modern age. Luckily, it looks like Hyperkin is ready to solve the age-old problem with its newly announced Hyper Blaster HD.

The Hyper Blaster HD will make its official debut during CES but the firm made its announcement early, letting fans of the NES know that they soon be able to play Duck Hunt and other light gun titles on their modern displays. Although the details are scant at this point, the press release states that:

• Play Duck Hunt for the NES with a light gun on an HDTV (original Duck Hunt cartridge

and NES required)

• Includes special Hyper Blaster HD light gun

• Includes Hyper Blaster HD Adapter to allow HDTV compatibility

Any chance this stuff could work on AVS or NT consoles? :grin:

I wonder if it's the same light bar technology that's already been used by Wii? I've seen someone's project where he taped a Wii controller to the light gun and had a small system like Raspberry do the work of converting between where the controller points and where the NES is signaled on trigger pull.

It's about darn time! If it works with the AVS then this is gonna make a whole lot of people very, very happy... or not. Hyperkin doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to quality.

I can say that Hyperkin, as well as Retrobit and Yobo, are a mixed bag. The Super Retro Trio 3-in-1 is one of the best clones I've seen, despite the slight audio defects on the nes side. Retron5 is hot garbage. So is the Retrobit Generations 60-in-1. But the Hyperkin laser snes mouse is amazing!

We just don't know enought about this device yet to pass judgement. It is highly likely it may use a calibrated Wii-like sensor system for the HDTV and require a composite feed to calculate the exact moment the gun will register a hit based upon it's current coordinate. Eithr way, I am excited, albeit slightly disappointed if it requires an analog input just to output hd upgraded visuals. Thag would never be NT quality. :grin:

I can say that Hyperkin, as well as Retrobit and Yobo, are a mixed bag. The Super Retro Trio 3-in-1 is one of the best clones I've seen, despite the slight audio defects on the nes side. Retron5 is hot garbage. So is the Retrobit Generations 60-in-1. But the Hyperkin laser snes mouse is amazing!

We just don't know enought about this device yet to pass judgement. It is highly likely it may use a calibrated Wii-like sensor system for the HDTV and require a composite feed to calculate the exact moment the gun will register a hit based upon it's current coordinate. Eithr way, I am excited, albeit slightly disappointed if it requires an analog input just to output hd upgraded visuals. Thag would never be NT quality. :grin:

Wait laser SNES mouse? I might need to grab that. I have a copy of Mario Paint but no mouse.

• Like 1

Since the DIY kit has a Pi with a hat, or daughter card, I would like to make a guess.

The ways the consoles have implemented movement controllers, mixed with the way the NES does it, is enough to make a guess.

Too tired to think straight and finish this post.

I will add to this, so check back.

• Like 1

Since the DIY kit has a Pi with a hat, or daughter card, I would like to make a guess.

The ways the consoles have implemented movement controllers, mixed with the way the NES does it, is enough to make a guess.

I believe the Pi thing was a separate dumper/emulator device for interfacing an SNES cartridge.

Well the exact method does not matter. If it's too expensive I will pass.

They also seem to be making a spiritual successor to Duck Hunt, but the price tag is hard to swallow. If the gun is really $150, I'm gonna pass... :sleep:

blasterbundle-gallery-tiny-1.png

duck-season-hero.jpg

duck-season-screenshot-1.jpg

https://www.vive.com/us/VR-hyperkin-hyper-blaster-with-tracker/

Edit: Okay forget it. The gun by itself is $150, and that does not include the headset and Steam gaming PC. Still pretty creative and looks like fun. I wish they had kiosks somewhere so I could demo it. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATgjQi4Hth8

Duck Season uses the old Sci-Fi/Horror trope of getting sucked into the game/show by using the telivision screen as a portal. Kid is trapped inside the tv game shooting ducks, and reality starts to go south quick.

I believe the Pi thing was a separate dumper/emulator device for interfacing an SNES cartridge.

I see that now.

They wrote that confusing.

The way they worded it “Along with the gun, there is this and this. The former...” and never mentioned anything about the “latter” so I took former to mean the new light gun and the rest was the other items.

Hyperkin refuses to send me a replacement joystick.

Never got a development system, had to buy it.

Sent them my game, never got a response or any payment that was discussed.

The offer was to choose an immediate Cirken A77 which I have and THAT broke, or wait until they are stocked.

Now that they’re stocked, REPLACE has turned into RETURN.

I am told to fill out an RMA form that has an RM# Space I cannot complete because they refuse to give me an RM# or put me in touch with someone who understands the Preorder Fragile Joystick problem and their Public statement that buyers who contact Hyperkin will be sent a replacement joystick.

My contact email to them contains everything except an RA# that their read-only form requires

Edited by iesposta

A $50 gun... that won't work without the $100 accessory. It's $150.

Not to mention, no telling what other stuff you have to buy to interface with the HDTV screen and game console. I imagine you need a gun (maybe or maybe not the exact model we just saw), a tracking system around the actual TV screen, some interface that connects to the composite feed (so it can tell the unit exactly where the "hit" is) and upscales the signal, and some smart device that communicates with the above items.IE, it won't be cheap, or it will be rubbish, or both. Don't throw away your CRTs just yet... :roll:

A $50 gun... that won't work without the $100 accessory. It's $150.

It's a virtual reality accessory (arguably Classic Gaming is the wrong forum for this thread) so what do you expect? Also, tech has advanced in the wrong direction on this. Instead of simple optics in a 1980s light gun, now we need so much more thanks to the death of the CRT and inherent lag in every other display tech.

$150 is a drop in the bucket compared to the $2000 you'll spend on a proper VR setup that doesn't require asynchronous reprojection or other frame warping technologies.