IGNORED

NES Light Gun for HDTV

Razzie.P

I have a feeling this guy may have sold his technology to Hyperkin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metsasta/modern-mallard

Yeah, that's the one I was trying to remember. The only game anything seems to mention is Duck Hunt. I'm not sure if that's because that's the only game it works with (like the Modern Mallard) or if it's because that's the most well known NES Zapper game.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this guy may have sold his technology to Hyperkin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metsasta/modern-mallard

Kinda really lame this only works with one game: Duck Hunt.

I couldn't even use my RetroUSB "Shooot teh Dawg" VS Duck Hunt repro, still one of my favorites. Nope, nope, only works with the original. I think it would have been more successful if a solution could have been produced that worked with all unmodified Zapper games.

Does this make other Zapper games work? No, the patch code only works with Duck Hunt, so no Hogan's Alley or anything like that. That said, Modern Mallard enables all three game modes inside of Duck Hunt: single-duck mode, two-duck mode, and clays mode.

He's just applying the patch to the Duck Hunt game for the LCD ROM hacks distributed online. I am curious however if the improved lightgun pcb (enabling these hacks to work properly) would interfere with other games.

After pondering the matter for a few days I have come to a distinct conclusion: I have no need for this overpriced modern contraption.

HHgTJ73.jpg

AtzX6Yi.jpg

Yes, this is the "proper" way to play lightgun games. 8):thumbsup:

Modern Mallard simply added a timing delay, as far as I know, but he decided to gear it towards the cartridge rather than simply the rom. However, he also designed a totally new PCB and LED that he replaced his Zapper's guts with. This is really crucial, because as I said, the Tomee Zapp is junk, and there was serious differences in the quality of the components in them. We shall see, I guess it's somewhat possible that the Hyperkin gun may actually work with LCD-modded ROM's via an Everdrive or whatever.

So there is an actual Zapper attachment for the HDTVs. Looks like it needs some sort of cart adapter, which may mean it won't work on an NES connected to an LCD, but just an HDMI-equipped Famiclone. They showed it off with the RetroN 1 HD.

https://twitter.com/CastleManiaRyan/status/1082787771532464128

I don't imagine it'll be $150. Probably closer to $15-20, I'd bet.

Edited by derFunkenstein

So there is an actual Zapper attachment for the HDTVs. Looks like it needs some sort of cart adapter, which may mean it won't work on an NES connected to an LCD, but just an HDMI-equipped Famiclone. They showed it off with the RetroN 1 HD.

https://twitter.com/CastleManiaRyan/status/1082787771532464128

I don't imagine it'll be $150. Probably closer to $15-20, I'd bet.

Composite interface is only necessary if you want to erect a sophisticated realtime targeting system to calculate the exact location of the gun in reference to the tv screen, then signal a hit whenever the portion of the composite signal that lines up with the coordinate is bright. Hyperkin is not that adept, and such a targeting system wouldn't be feasible at that price point. AVS should work in theory if it just detects delayed light output on the screen.

Ugg, this is so dumb though. It's as if Hyperkin thinks "Duck Hunt" is the only Zapper game in existence worth playing. Ditto for the Kickstarter. Hyperkin bought them out it seems. So we do get a light gun that properly detects hdtv screens, but now all compatible games must be hacked and add bastardised Game Genies to interface the carts.

Duck Hunt is covered. Great. What about these:

Hogan's Alley

Wild Gunman

Gumshoe

Bill Barker's Trick shooting

Bandai Shooting Range

Operation Wolf

Gotcha

Baby Boomer

Chiller (2p)

RetroUSB VS "Shoot the Dog" Duck Hunt

Action 53 Vol 1 (2 player Zapper Pong)

And prolly some others I forgot about. Anyway I will probably buy the Duck Hunt kit for lolz. And one for Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman. Wild Gunman would be tricky to pull off due to latency issues.

Later...

Firstly, this will 100% work with the original NES, as Modern Mallard did. Secondly, I'm going to go out on a fairly short limb and predict that you will be able to use the new zapper, without the cart adapter. That would be utilizing the NES LCD Rom (http://neslcdmod.com/) that we already know about. He's currently got 5 roms working.

• Like 2

Firstly, this will 100% work with the original NES, as Modern Mallard did. Secondly, I'm going to go out on a fairly short limb and predict that you will be able to use the new zapper, without the cart adapter. That would be utilizing the NES LCD Rom (http://neslcdmod.com/) that we already know about. He's currently got 5 roms working.

LCD Mod lightgun games from that Russian kid are awesome. I've got Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley built up myself. Built a Duck Hunt for my sister for Xmas too.

Tommee Lightgun $10

Custom LCDMOD duck hunt cart $25

So why would I spend another $115? Thats right, there is no need.

• Like 1

After pondering the matter for a few days I have come to a distinct conclusion: I have no need for this overpriced modern contraption.HHgTJ73.jpgAtzX6Yi.jpg

That kind of display may have no lag, no need to simulate CRT effects, be compatible with every light gun all the way back to rifles on Pong consoles, etc. There is just one big problem. It is just too bulky for many retro gamers. They need flat panels so that they can get the screen closer to the wall to gain space to store more air in front of it. You can't live without air. So, that outweighs all those other benefits. Besides, HDMI modding every console, buying scalers, simulating CRT effects, looking for flat panels with the least amount of lag, waiting for new kinds of light guns to purchase, etc. is so much easier to deal with than a CRT because reasons.
  • Like 1

LCD Mod lightgun games from that Russian kid are awesome. I've got Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley built up myself. Built a Duck Hunt for my sister for Xmas too.

Tommee Lightgun $10

There are two different products being discussed here: one is the $150 VR add-on that does not belong in the Classic Gaming forum. The other is this Zapper that will never ever in 100 years be even $50, let alone $150. This damn thread is so f'ing confusing, because when Kosmic Stardust mentioned the price of the Vive add-on people assumed it was about the NES Zapper. Not KS's fault, it's that people can't read.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Not sure what's up with the Vive setup, but the Zapper I referenced during the original post will, unless I'm completely misunderstanding, plug into a NES system and let you play Duck Hunt (and potentially others, but details are a bit short) on newer HD TVs. This, if it works properly, seems pretty sweet to me, whether it's something I "need" or not. A bummer, though -- seems like it might not work with 3rd part systems, so that might kill hopes of using it on AVS or NT. Still, interesting to see if it works out.

Decent look/mockup of it

Not sure what's up with the Vive setup, but the Zapper I referenced during the original post will, unless I'm completely misunderstanding, plug into a NES system and let you play Duck Hunt (and potentially others, but details are a bit short) on newer HD TVs. This, if it works properly, seems pretty sweet to me, whether it's something I "need" or not. A bummer, though -- seems like it might not work with 3rd part systems, so that might kill hopes of using it on AVS or NT. Still, interesting to see if it works out.

Decent look/mockup of it

Yeah it's not your fault, just other people conflating the two. My original posting said otherwise but I tried to ninja-correct it, so I apologize if the original version of my post showed up in your email. Shawn's post makes zero sense unless he thinks they're the same device.

At any rate, I'd need to try it to see it working. The only thing I've seen them advertise it as absolutely working on is their own clones. That cart adapter is bound to get stuck in a toaster NES. Definitely want to see how it works, because I'd love it if it can convince me the game is hitting what I aim at, even if it's a frame or two behind.

Yeah it's not your fault, just other people conflating the two. My original posting said otherwise but I tried to ninja-correct it, so I apologize if the original version of my post showed up in your email. Shawn's post makes zero sense unless he thinks they're the same device.

At any rate, I'd need to try it to see it working. The only thing I've seen them advertise it as absolutely working on is their own clones. That cart adapter is bound to get stuck in a toaster NES. Definitely want to see how it works, because I'd love it if it can convince me the game is hitting what I aim at, even if it's a frame or two behind.

Sorry, I was under the impression that it was just another means to play Duck Hunt with on an original NES on a modern TV. The other VR device is another thing all together I completely agree. I was only speaking to the hyper blaster for the NES.

Tommee Lightgun $10

First of all, I don't know where this $150 price point came out? I'll be shocked if this is over $30 TBH. Secondly, while it's great you're TV worked, I could not get any Tomee Zapp to work. So if this new HD Blaster is reasonably priced, I'm all for it, because it's likely going to have better compatibility. I was going to have someone install a potentiometer onto the Zapp gun otherwise, which is insane, but that's how awful those Tomee products were.

• 11 months later...
59 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

That is cheap.  But since its duck hunt only I will pass.  I already found another solution.  And that red thing only works in top loaders.  Would be hard to get out of a toaster.  

The presumption is that the gun *should* work with the hacked roms via an Everdrive.