IGNORED

Atari 1200XL Repair Service?

BoatofCar

I have an Atari 1200XL. A couple years back I repainted the traces on the mylar, but now it's starting to flake out again. I bought the upgrade from Best, but replacing the mylar with the new one only made different keys not work. Since all of the keys work some of the time, depending on which mylar is in there (and, due to me switching back and forth between the two, apparently which way the wind is blowing) I've come to the realization that the fault may lie with the installer.

Does anyone here do 1200XL repair? This is literally the only machine I have from my youth, so I care about keeping it around to hopefully pass on to the next generation who shows interest. I was hoping to find someone who could repair the keyboard issue, clean up the case/keyboard in general, and possibly install some upgrades.

Please let me know if you're interested! As my profile says, I'm located in the US (West Virginia).

I too have experienced what you are going through. It just plain sucks. Wives will never "get it". "You're just throwing good money after bad!". Nag, Nag, Nag. These little machines mean more than just their present monetary value, they are our youth, our spirit....They mean a lot to us. I am not good at repair either, messed up my share of precious Atari gear in the attempt(s). Good luck, we are with you.

• Like 3

Bob Woolley might fix it for you.

oh... that's me.

I don't know about cleaning up or upgrades, but I can fix your keyboard.

Bob

Bob,

Can you do 800's as well? I have one that has a stuck space bar. This is my original from the early 80s. I swear I did not slam it playing Defender!! :) Seriously, I did not play it a lot. The second 800 I have, the Option key does not respond, and the space bar is really mushy. If I turn on the computer, on Memo Pad (both are original 800s BTW, Not XL's), the space bar is like it is held down, and has to be pushed down to get it to stop. Very, very touchy. I am guessing just a spring to keep it more in the up position would do it.

Let me know....

Curious, Where are you located?

Scott

• Like 2

Bob,

Can you do 800's as well? I have one that has a stuck space bar. This is my original from the early 80s. I swear I did not slam it playing Defender!! :) Seriously, I did not play it a lot. The second 800 I have, the Option key does not respond, and the space bar is really mushy. If I turn on the computer, on Memo Pad (both are original 800s BTW, Not XL's), the space bar is like it is held down, and has to be pushed down to get it to stop. Very, very touchy. I am guessing just a spring to keep it more in the up position would do it.

Believe it or not the old 800 keyboard is the hardest of all to fix. A sticking key on an 800 is caused mainly by a cracked or dirty

yellow or white plunger under the spacebar. Carefully pry the spacebar up and then examine the plunger that the space bar was

pressed into. If there are no cracks in this plunger try to work it up and down. If it moves freely you probably have a bad spring

under the plunger. If it sticks you can buy some cleaner in a aerosol can to clean the space around the plunger, then but a little

graphite around the plunger and see if that frees it up.

DavidMil

• Like 1