IGNORED

CED based games? (Capacitance Electronic Disc)

FOX2600

Wasnt the RDI Halcyon CED based? I do know that its obscenely rare and I believe only two games were released for it. I collect movies as well as video games but CED is a format I never bothered with because of the bulkiness of the caddy format and the problematic players. It just never seemed worth the hassle.

I doubt any game was released on CED. I don't have the dates in my brain, but I'm under the impression that CED died before 1980, so too early for them to be used in video gaming, when the LD was already there, more mature and available.

Ced format here died much later than '80 here in the states. Thinking more around '84 or '85 it started to decline.

• Like 2

Wow indeed. I confused the actual conception of the format (in 1964) and the release (apaprently 1980 to 1986 in the US) I though it was released much earlier! I must have confused it with the release of the Philips LaserVision (the LD before Pioneer too kthe format over and renamed it LaserDisc).

Learning things everyday... Or rather, refreshing them ;)

Tho I learned that CED were released at least in the UK, but even Wikipedia doesn't dare to give any title or year of release.

Edited by CatPix

At one point it was rumored that Coleco was working on a port of Dragon's Lair that would use a CED player interfaced to an ADAM computer. It is not known if development was begun. Coleco eventually released a version on floppy disk that just used standard ADAM graphics and different game play.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. After revisiting the Halcyon Wikipedia page I can see where I got that idea in my head. It was originally CED based but was switched to laserdisc when the format died during development. So the Halcyons games would have been on CEDs had the format survived. I guess CED-based games just werent meant to be!

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. After revisiting the Halcyon Wikipedia page I can see where I got that idea in my head. It was originally CED based but was switched to laserdisc when the format died during development. So the Halcyons games would have been on CEDs had the format survived. I guess CED-based games just werent meant to be!

Part of that, I suspect, was also down to RDI releasing Thayer's Quest as a conversion kit for Dragon's Lair.

While I definitely agree that CED was on the way out by the 1984 / 1985 timeframe and that would have been a significant contributing factor in their decision to go with laserdisc, it also wouldn't have made sense for RDI to have to have two separate disc mastering and manufacturing methods in use for home and arcade production. Despite some laserdisc players' unreliability in arcade settings, nobody was going to swap one out for a CED player - and especially not for a conversion kit applied to a type of game that players were already losing interest in.

It's a shame, really, because the Halcyon was a very nifty system. Great idea, but just the wrong time (and pricing) for it.

Just gonna post something I posted to another site a decade or so ago in related to why RDI was going to go with CED initially for the Halcyon:

They wanted to go with CED at first because the players were significantly cheaper (MSRP would have been $300-$400 for the custom RCA SKT265 model they were going to use versus $1000 for the Pioneer LD700), as was disc replication. CED also has several advantages over LD for data storage as it allows for much greater bandwidth. In fact, I believe Ralph Bayer was actively pursuing a CED based solution to bringing laserdisc games to the Colecovision at one point because he believed the data bandwidth would have allowed the game code to be quickly loaded from the disc into memory on the Colecovision laserdisc add-on without the need for external cartridges or tapes. JVC did something similar with their VHD games for the MSX, although I know some of the early games did require a separate cassette. The later ones put both the game code and video/audio files on a single VHD.

Durability was a perceived problem in-house at RDI, but RCA sent them various engineering test memos showing that CED discs and styluses are capable of thousands of plays without degradation. What ultimately changed everything was RCA's decision to get out of the CED business and their unwillingness to produce a custom run of only 500-1,000 units which is all RDI was willing and able to order initially. So, they ordered the more expensive LD700s from Pioneer, spending around $750K to do the initial run of 1,000 with the RDI logo and graphics attached.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2019 at 5:02 AM, CatPix said:

I doubt any game was released on CED. I don't have the dates in my brain, but I'm under the impression that CED died before 1980, so too early for them to be used in video gaming, when the LD was already there, more mature and available.

When I was young my brother and I spent the days of one summer at the home of a family that had a CED player and a bunch of movies.

One that gave me nightmares for years is American Werewolf in London, which was released in theatres in 1981. My brother was born in 1980 and could walk and talk at the time, so it would have been 1983 at the earliest.

Definitely the coolect video player consumers will ever get to experience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubersaurus said:

There are indeed a few RCA VideoDisc games. A few months back I interviewed an engineer who had been working on a CED-based adventure game! Don’t have a list in front of me but I believe there were at least a half dozen.

There are a couple of interactive ones out there I guess can be qualified as games.

I just fixed the belts that were completely dry rotted on one of the Sears units like the one my folks originally had. Popped in Raiders of the Lost Ark, was hardly watchable - I think my dad must've worn out that disc!