IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9: Almost great, but not ready for primetime

I was really excited when I heard that the Flashback 9 had an SD card option to add ".bin" files. Wow I thought, its already got the HDMI upscaler for 1080P native and has the advantage of the Harmony cartridge built in to boot. For $39.99, this should be a no brainer. Great idea, but without a firmware fix to allow use of CX-30 paddles and Indy 500 driving controllers, they missed the mark. Its based on Stella, so how did they botch the paddles? Stella recognizes CX-30 paddles and the Indy 500 driving controllers no problem. Again, great idea with a serious flaw. Also, I just don't care for the provided joysticks. Too much travel compared to a CX-40. Awesome idea to have START, SELECT, RESET and REPLAY on joystick 1, but it would have been better to have the provided joysticks have the original CX-40 stiffness and feel. Its a digital joystick, so you don't need the deflection.

My point is not to crap on the unit, it is extremely nice and has the potential to be GREAT with a minor firmware fix. I can always use my original CX-40s, so that is fine, but they need to fix the paddle and driving controller issue. Do that and you will sell many of these units. More than all previous Flashbacks combined once word gets out that it has an SD card capability. I'll be returning mine and continue to use Stella and hope AtGames fixes this and I'll gladly buy one.

Edited by ACML
  • Like 2

I've got the FB9 Gold and feel the same way about not being able to use paddles. I do love the ability to add games via the SD card slot and the wireless joysticks that were included are the best ATGames has ever put out. We just need those paddles to work and it will be all set!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. The Atari FB line definitely has developed leaps and bounds these past two iterations. Definitely worth seeing if AtGames can follow up the FB9 success with something that is truly awesome (such as more games, better emulation via a newer version of Stella, and widespread distribution of paddles). Time will tell.

I got the FB9 Gold for Christmas - love it. I'm not a hard core Atari 2600 player, and was aware of the paddle limitation beforehand. The inclusion of the SD slot, and new info from boggis the cat stating old Atari paddles can be used on the FB9 by swapping the original 1Mohm pots for 10K makes the system a winner in my opinion. I do own a FB2, but don't use it much because the composite video output doesn't look great on a HD TV.

You can also adapt a standard joystick to have the special buttons, as they are simply combinations of impossible directions. That opens up the use of any joystick you want, if you want to modify it or put an adapter in between with the extra button functionality.

I think that the paddle change was an error, particularly when they had no modified paddles to sell upon release. They are still going to be available at some point, however, so if you dont want to modify existing paddles you can wait for the Atgames ones.

Edited by boggis the cat

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for the paddles as are many here. I only paid $34.99 for my FB9 and lovin' it so it's the best $34.99 I ever spent on reto games. I have no problem paying retail for paddles that will work. I expect them to be $20 and well for Warlords with four players, I would be willing to pay $40 for paddles if there is no noticeable delay. Gee that would be more for paddles than I paid for the console /w joysticks.

Edited by thetick1