IGNORED

Found an original xbox at goodwill

Went to goodwill today. Found a original XBOX for 10 bucks. Plugged it in it turns on at least. Blinks orange or yellow and green. But powers at least. Even ebay for parts cheapest is 5 bucks with 1 bid. So not bad and hope it works. I ordered a video cable from amazon for 7 bucks. Will see in 10 days when it arrives.

In the mean time I need at least 1 game and a controller. Gamestop said they only go back to 360 so no luck. So is ebay the only option or maybe amazon? There are no other vintage stores near by me.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/01/xbox-original-from-goodwill.html?m=1

Iirc, it'll blink when the cables aren't plugged in. It may still be in working order. I picked up one from goodwill a few months back. It works, but looks like the internal battery is shot since it won't save the time and date. My goodwill has games from time to time as well.

Edited by 4300

Went to goodwill today. Found a original XBOX for 10 bucks. Plugged it in it turns on at least. Blinks orange or yellow and green. But powers at least. Even ebay for parts cheapest is 5 bucks with 1 bid. So not bad and hope it works. I ordered a video cable from amazon for 7 bucks. Will see in 10 days when it arrives.

In the mean time I need at least 1 game and a controller. Gamestop said they only go back to 360 so no luck. So is ebay the only option or maybe amazon? There are no other vintage stores near by me.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/01/xbox-original-from-goodwill.html?m=1

As 4300 said, that's normal if there's no video. Good chance it works. For controllers, there are some generic type-S clones on Amazon that seem OK. I got one as a second controller, but I use my Microsoft-branded Type S controller with it most of the time.

I picked up one from goodwill a few months back. It works, but looks like the internal battery is shot since it won't save the time and date.

The clock capacitor is a known leaky beast. If it's in there, take it out and clean the board ASAP because the contents of the capacitor can cause damage to the motherboard. If it's not leaking, it's a matter of time.

• Like 1

I added some more pics. I noticed something odd. Last pic says 10-16-2001. But according to google the original was not released until 11-15-2001.

Maybe it was a prototype (beta system?) or a developer console. Or maybe a press release version? Or it was simply made a month before launch... nothing odd about that. My Xbox was the last version before the 360 was released and does not use the same serial number system.

Their amazingly reliably, outside of the optical drive. They blink green/yellow when no video is plugged in, but it likely works if it does that much.

Of the Xbox series, the first is by far my favorite, Microsoft was new to the game and threw a lot of carp at the wall just to see what sticks, and many amazing games showed up on here (and mysteriously disappeared from 360)

Hope it works for you.

Their amazingly reliably, outside of the optical drive. They blink green/yellow when no video is plugged in, but it likely works if it does that much.

Of the Xbox series, the first is by far my favorite, Microsoft was new to the game and threw a lot of carp at the wall just to see what sticks, and many amazing games showed up on here (and mysteriously disappeared from 360)

Hope it works for you.

Hmmm… I've never thrown carp against a wall before. Sounds like fun though! I can imagine them sliding down whimsically like a sticky toy octopus. LOL!

As others have said, that blinking orange and green light will go away once the AV cable is inserted. As for games, the OG Xbox has some excellent exclusive titles like Mech Assault, Armed and Dangerous, Fable, Stubbs the Zombie, and of course Halo. It's a fairly cheap system to collect for, so building a decent collection won't break the bank.

Original Xbox is a wonderful console, especially if the DVD drive is still working properly (probably 50/50 for an untested unit). If you have one of the early models, and you're going to leave it plugged in, you should look for a power cable with a rectangular switch box at the end that plugs in. Microsoft had to send these out to early adopters because of a fire hazard. Later models could use the regular two prong cable with no switch box.

What do the replacement cables look like? I have no idea if the one I have is even the original. Manufactured in 2002, but I wasn't the original owner.

edit: ah, I remember these. I should buy one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Xbox-Protection-AC-Power-Cord-by-Microsoft-Free-Ship-with-in-USA/312403588016

Edited by derFunkenstein

Yeah, all's well til it burns your house down. You should listen to us. We know things.

That is only falcon v 1.0 and 1.1. Also my cousin had one in 2001 and no apartment burned so it's rare.

As long as its unplugged it should be ok. Or can it cath fire while playing a game also?

And the adapter does not help. It just trips the power. Does not fix the weak supply.

Edited by 0078265317

If the drive doesn't always open, you can take it apart, open the tray (there are videos on how to do that) then spray some belt dressing on the belt. Then you move the tray back and forth to work the spray into the belt. After that....the tray should open normally.

I pass that along as I got rid of my Xbox and decent collection a while ago as I could never trust the drive. I scoured the net over years but it was always "replace the DVD drive".

About a year ago I get an Xbox cheap with hopes to mod it but the DVD drive wouldn't always open. Search again and find mention of the rubber belt that moves the drive might need replacing. I talked to a guy at a local game shop about buying a belt and he whips out a can of belt dressing. "All I ever needed to get Xbox drives working again." And he was right! Dang thing runs like a champ.

I pass this along so you too can continue to enjoy your Xbox.

Now I have to yank that battery out....

While you're inside the Xbox removing the battery cap, consider a fan upgrade if it's super loud. I put this thing into mine and just let the motherboard control the speed. It does great and it's much quieter than it was at stock.It also just fits in there without any muss or fuss.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PNLRLU

While you're inside the Xbox removing the battery cap, consider a fan upgrade if it's super loud. I put this thing into mine and just let the motherboard control the speed. It does great and it's much quieter than it was at stock.It also just fits in there without any muss or fuss.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PNLRLU

Not a bad idea. When running the softmod, the thing sounds like a jet engine. It get quiet when running regular games.

Not a bad idea. When running the softmod, the thing sounds like a jet engine. It get quiet when running regular games.

If you're using XBMC, you can tell it to throttle both the stock and the replacement fan. Even so, this will make it quieter in any scenario than it already is.

While I was in there, I also popped both heatsinks and replaced the thermal grease. I also swapped out the active GPU fan for the larger 1.3-and-later passive heatsink. All of that combined made it quieter AND lowered the reported temperatures.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I decided to be brave and open it up. I finally got the hard drive out. I saw no clear markings on the power supply. But I add 3 more pics on the same link as in my first post. The last pic clearly shows delta written on the left upper side. So it's not a foxconn. Thank god. So no worries about the fire hazard. That was only foxconn's according to google. Deltas are fine others on other sites have stated.

My understanding is that the very first Xbox systems were designed in Mexico. I don't know if that means they're more reliable or less so than later models. For what it's worth, I have two Xbox systems- one in Michigan and the other here in Arizona- and I haven't had any issues with either. I did have a third machine that didn't take well to being hacked, but I suspect that was as much my fault as anything else.