IGNORED

General: Game Titles in Libraries/Databases

26gc

Hi,

while people have different kind of approaches to sort their games, sometimes it is the best choice to sort the games by name. At latest when you start to write down all titles you own, you will run into difficulties.

Let's take Spectravideo's NEXAR as (perfect) example:

NEXAR is like the short name, if you look closely it has the title:

The Challenge of NEXAR

But wait there is more! There are some dots behind the "of"

The Challenge of.... NEXAR

Now, let's strip the article away and add it as suffix:

Challenge of.... NEXAR, The

My point is, do you really care when you are sorting your games? Personally, I would sort the games including the articles at the correct place as in my opinion the article is part of the game name (You also dont remove articles that are in the middle of the name and put them at the end)

Maybe it's a german thing, but taking the wonderful movie "Das Boot" nobody would ever chop it down in "Boot, Das". It's like the title. With everything even if it's only an article.

I could go on for ages:

Decathlon

The Activision Decathlon

Activision Decathlon (The)

How do you think about it? Is it OK to keep the article in the name? How would you keep your records? (Shortname and extra the full name?)

Every answer counts and will be taken into account for my tool i'm currently developing.

Thanks,

Andre

I tend to place The and other articles at the end of the file name. It makes it easier to find some titles if you didnt remember that it happened to include it. (I also use this for movie titles. Otherwise you get lots of movies in your T folder (The Terminator, The Shawshank Redemption, The Wizard of Oz, ...)

I do something similar for SNES titles, ignoring the obligatory Super <title>.

• Like 1

I tend to place The and other articles at the end of the file name. It makes it easier to find some titles if you didnt remember that it happened to include it. (I also use this for movie titles. Otherwise you get lots of movies in your T folder (The Terminator, The Shawshank Redemption, The Wizard of Oz, ...)

I do something similar for SNES titles, ignoring the obligatory Super <title>.

Cool, thank you very much for your response! If we move away from lists and use a full indexed database with autocomplete, then it would not matter anymore, right? Is it only required for static lists?

Unfortunately, it makes more sense one way or the other sometimes depending on the title, so I've found myself doing both occasionally. Now when I go back through my list looking for something, I might have to look in more than one place ("Ariel, The Little Mermaid", "Disney's The Little Mermaid", "The Little Mermaid", "Little Mermaid, The"). Otherwise, I end up with duplicates and label variations. Turns out its not really too bad if that happens since it's almost always the super-common games it happens with.

• Like 1