IGNORED

Largest quantity of a single Atari device

kheller2

After rummaging around in the basement the past few days I discovered that I had a rather large stash of specific pieces of Atari gear. Now I cant compete with Kline's 50 some 1200XLs, but I do have at least 24 1050s, maybe six boxed. 3 completely boxed XEGMs. Maybe 8 800s.

So what is the largest amount of Atari gear you have stashed?

• Like 1

Except for 2 1200XL's and a 3rd mobo and keyboard, I don't have more than two of anything, exactly the same that is, I do have four disk drives but only 2 are 1050's. And I do have 4 1/2 Atari 8-bits total.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Yeah some folks even if they have 30 will yank another 20 some out from under someone because they just gotta have it.. seriously though. It's one thing to accumulate as you rescue orphaned stuff or folks drop stuff off, we end up with lots of gear, it is quite another to actively try to get it all, even if others would like a chance at at least a couple, stepping on and climbing over someone to get it even if it was already spoken for.

I know some of the guys here have rescued everything they could find and accepted all the stuff they could handle from users groups, schools, and colleges... these folks deserve medals! Even going so far as buying thrift store and picking up from the curb. Now that is going the extra mile. I used to do the same when I could. Not getting out much to rescue the stuff at the thrift or curb anymore, I still will get stuff shipped to me and whip it into shape and then send it back to good homes. Nothing like a few spares, but snatching out from under folks and hoarding is a line I won't cross or do.

• Like 1

Had 3 130XEs but sold one which is a bit regretful since one of the remaining 2 isn't working properly and needs diagnosis.

At one point had 11 8-bit machines in total though including that non-worker and an 800XL board only that also has issues.

Edited by Rybags

I just counted.... 17 1050's :-o .... only 1 not working (yet). I've been enjoying the acquiring/fixing/cleaning/modding, but procrastinating on the selling part afterwards haha.

2 genuine happy, 3 atarimax happy, most fixed up and restored as stock... Others with various combinations of speeders I've been trying, ie homebrew & modified US Doublers, mini speedy, turbo 1050, stock mask and eproms... I think 4 of them are WST mechs.

• Probably SIO cables ;) certainly followed by
  • 6 CX 853 16K memory cards :grin:
  • Jaguar controllers (at least 5)
  • at least 4 CX30 (dual) paddle controllers
  • at least 4 CX78 joypads
  • 4 7800s
  • 3 each Indus GTs and 1050s
  • 2 800s/1200s

Don't know exactly how many CX40s I have. Probably at least two working as well as at least two CX24s.

Listing this reminds me I have to sell some stuff, at least one or two 7800.....

It's one thing to accumulate as you rescue orphaned stuff or folks drop stuff off, we end up with lots of gear, it is quite another to actively try to get it all, even if others would like a chance at at least a couple, stepping on and climbing over someone to get it even if it was already spoken for.

I know some of the guys here have rescued everything they could find and accepted all the stuff they could handle from users groups, schools, and colleges... these folks deserve medals! Even going so far as buying thrift store and picking up from the curb. Now that is going the extra mile. I used to do the same when I could. Not getting out much to rescue the stuff at the thrift or curb anymore, I still will get stuff shipped to me and whip it into shape and then send it back to good homes. Nothing like a few spares, but snatching out from under folks and hoarding is a line I won't cross or do.

Like you, I think it's pretty unnecessary for someone to go "stepping on and climbing over someone" to get something "even if it was already spoken for" —especially if they have said item in quantity.

The overwhelming majority of 1200XLs that I rescued came from the EBay market, and even I was often "sniped" out of a rescue— but it did reveal that there were people who, like me, were willing to pay the going price of that market. In fact, currently the Atari 1200XL is, primarily, going for $200 and up on EBay. One is listed for nearly $400 and includes some modifications for increased accessibility, from the seller GlennFre.

The conundrum is that although I went several extra miles to rescue so many 1200XLs (I won't divulge how much skin I have "in the game" as it were, but it's pretty significant), I've only ever had one person contact me over the past couple years about buying a 1200XL, and they found one before I was able to get back to them anyhow because this was back when 1200XLs were still appearing on EBay in decent numbers.

This in spite of my updates to the 1200XL Owner thread here on AtariAge, keep in mind.

Two years.

The other part of the equation here is that of perceived value: what a person here on AtariAge is willing to pay for a 1200XL is not parallel with what the market sustains on EBay— so if someone were to contact me from here about a 1200XL, there's the likelihood that they'll think I should sell it for an amount that falls short of what it cost me to even have one to adopt out to them. After all, I could just turn around and flip the systems back to EBay and profit quite well right now— if such was my intent in all this. At the same time, if I adopted a 1200XL for $160 it really makes no fiscal sense to then sell it to someone else for $100, does it? I'm not a business, so there's no expense and loss write-offs I can claim, and I'm not a charity organization with all the tax benefits they enjoy, either. It seems, then, that I must be realistic and practical and responsible on the fiscal front, wouldn't you agree?

And finally, from the time that I started down this curious path of rescuing 1200XLs from the wild, I haven't seen any other person take on a project of this scale for the Atari community-- much less any group of Atari users doing something similar with their pooled resources— which is a remarkable tell given the stark reality that the owners of the largest amount of remaining Atari hardware available— B&C and BEST Electronics— are not young men anymore, and I haven't seen anything that would reassure all of us Atari owners that their businesses and stock will be available if/when something happens to either/both of them, for years to come.

Nor have I ever had a single person tell me Thank You for my efforts in securing 1200XLs for the Atari community into the foreseeable future, if and when they might be desired or needed. So, this is a pretty thankless endeavor on my part in addition to being a very expensive investment.

Even so, I made peace with the fact that there will be people who believe I'm hoarding— ironically, without ever even approaching me about adopting a 1200XL.

And that, too, is quite telling.

In any case, I decided some time ago what I would do with 50 of the 1200XLs and that plan is now what I prefer to focus on these days as I plod my way down the road of making it a reality— so it's all good. :)

In closing: while I've fallen far behind on updates, my Atari 8-bit collection is somewhat represented via public spreadsheet, for those who might be curious. At some point I'll sort out what I will keep for myself, and what will be available to the Atari owners out there-- but I'm pretty certain I'm ready for Atari-geddon.

Have an amazing day, everyone!

--Tim

• Like 2

After rummaging around in the basement the past few days I discovered that I had a rather large stash of specific pieces of Atari gear. Now I cant compete with Brenskis 50 some 1200XLs, but I do have at least 24 1050s, maybe six boxed. 3 completely boxed XEGMs. Maybe 8 800s.

So what is the largest amount of Atari gear you have stashed?

i don't have 50 1200XLs - i have 3 :?

you could be thinking of timothykline

my own list - by the numbers

11x 800xl

8x 1050

5x 65xen (Arabic)

3x 130xe Secam

but will be planning to shrink this soon (along with lots of other stuff i have, CA2001, LDWSuper, Rana, Trak, Indus and a 600l Chelco board

- need some space

All the things down there in my signature link... The reason I have so much of everything is that I purchased (or was donated) big lots to obtain individual pieces and they just accumulate. I am slowly selling off items as I have updated to a couple XEL and Eclaire machines.

• Like 1

All the things down there in my signature link... The reason I have so much of everything is that I purchased (or was donated) big lots to obtain individual pieces and they just accumulate. I am slowly selling off items as I have updated to a couple XEL and Eclaire machines.

For Sale, Inventory and Gallery on your website don't work for me, the two spreadsheets just say "Loading..." for ever, the gallery is a 500 error page.

If I've remembered everything, this is my current Atari 8-bit only equipment..

5x) 800XL Including my original one from the mid 80's. They are all stock machines except one which has 512KB SRAM installed

1x) SECAM 800XL
I'm currently building some new modern power supplies for all of the XL's.

2x) 600XL One is my main current setup with Ultimate 1Mb, VBXE2 with DIN13, Simple Stereo with Uswitch. Powered via a PWR3 PSU from Lotharek.
Ultimate cart, AVG cart, Sdrive Max
The other 600XL has simply been upgraded to 64Kb

4x) 320XE All with new keyboards and new old stock UK PSU's that I bought in 2007. One was my previous main setup installed also with 32-in-1 OS and

VBXE2, SIO2PC

1x) 130XE My original XE bought in 1989

1x) 1050 My original drive that I bought in the mid eighties but now painted to match the XE in 2007
(the Atarimax Happy I bought in 2007 was never installed and is still in its box)

2x) 1010

1x) XC12

Everything has been carefully stored away except for my current 600XL setup.

Edited by Tezz

Yeah.. that was my mistake. I was very tired when I started this thread and hadn't had enough beer.

for a second or two there, I was hoping you'd found a secret stash of my collection, that I didn't even know I had :)

7 130 XEs

5 800 XLs

2 800s

6 1050s

4 XF551s

3 ATR 8000s, 1 spare board

3 Black Boxes

3 4070s

3 1040 STfs

3 Mega 4s. Interesting that one says Mega 4 and the two say Mega ST4

3 Megafile 30s

3 Megafile 44s

2 SF354s

3 AdScSI

I only listed what I have more than 1 of and many of them have been upgraded, but I did not differentiate.

7 130 XEs

5 800 XLs

2 800s

6 1050s

4 XF551s

3 ATR 8000s, 1 spare board

3 Black Boxes

3 4070s

3 1040 STfs

3 Mega 4s. Interesting that one says Mega 4 and the two say Mega ST4

3 Megafile 30s

3 Megafile 44s

2 SF354s

3 AdScSI

I only listed what I have more than 1 of and many of them have been upgraded, but I did not differentiate.

it's all in your signature/tag/brag line :) well mostly ;)