IGNORED

Opcode 2019

opcode

So what is in store for us in 2019:

1) We are about to ship Gunfright and Raid on Bungeling Bay as part of the Color line

2) Grazi will ship two more Color line games soon

3) I am working to complete DKA and release it in the 1st half of 2019

4) We may have some scattered Color line releases in the second half of the year, as well as Pac-Man DX

5) But in addition to DKA, the big deal for me this year is the OMNI module for the ColecoVision. That is right! We will (hopefully) release a SGM2 that is backward compatible with the SGM1 and offers all the same features as OMNI, before OMNI is here. It will even use the same physical cartridges as OMNI, so when OMNI is finally released, the game library will be already there. And talking about library, it will be a mix of Atari era classics with much enhanced content, graphics, sound, and gameplay, as well as enhanced arcade classics. All inside a cartridge smaller than a CV cartridge rotated sideways. Videos, demos etc around April.

6) There is possibly more, one more OMNI component we should be able to leverage for the CV...

7) Grazi may have a surprise or two in store as well soon

• Like 16

3) I am working to complete DKA and release it in the 1st half of 2019

4) We may have some scattered Color line releases in the second half of the year, as well as Pac-Man DX

5) But in addition to DKA, the big deal for me this year is the OMNI module for the ColecoVision. That is right! We will (hopefully) release a SGM2 that is backward compatible with the SGM1 and offers all the same features as OMNI, before OMNI is here. It will even use the same physical cartridges as OMNI, so when OMNI is finally released, the game library will be already there. And talking about library, it will be a mix of Atari era classics with much enhanced content, graphics, sound, and gameplay, as well as enhanced arcade classics. All inside a cartridge smaller than a CV cartridge rotated sideways. Videos, demos etc around April.

Glad to hear DKA and Pac-Man DX are on the horizon. So your OMNI module for the Coleco intrigues me - this would plug into the console like the SGM but offer OMNI gameplay in addition to to SGM? Will it just be SGM level performance or a more "enhanced" SGM like the Pro thats been tossed around? Will this SGM2/OMNI use the standard Coleco RF out or will there be a video out (HDMI?) directly from the SGM2/OMNI?

Glad to hear DKA and Pac-Man DX are on the horizon. So your OMNI module for the Coleco intrigues me - this would plug into the console like the SGM but offer OMNI gameplay in addition to to SGM?

That is correct.

Will it just be SGM level performance or a more "enhanced" SGM like the Pro thats been tossed around?

From the CV cartridge we have access to all OMNI sound capabilities, so in theory yes.

Will this SGM2/OMNI use the standard Coleco RF out or will there be a video out (HDMI?) directly from the SGM2/OMNI?

Both actually. Due to the analog and classic nature of the CV, as well as price considerations, the module output may be analog only, like composite, RGB, etc. The standalone OMNI console will offer HDMI.

In any case, the module AV out will output OMNI content only, for obvious reasons. The OMNI video chip is very flexible and can programmed to output any resolution from 320x240 and under, which includes the familiar 256x192 or even the more exotic 288x224, perfect for Namco arcade games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Both actually. Due to the analog and classic nature of the CV, as well as price considerations, the module output may be analog only, like composite, RGB, etc. The standalone OMNI console will offer HDMI.

In any case, the module AV out will output OMNI content only, for obvious reasons. The OMNI video chip is very flexible and can programmed to output any resolution from 320x240 and under, which includes the familiar 256x192 or even the more exotic 288x224, perfect for Namco arcade games.

Wouldn't the OMNI Module would only work with the composite or RF as the RGB mods use the output of the 9928a which would be bypassed by the expansion port's composite video input?

Wouldn't the OMNI Module would only work with the composite or RF as the RGB mods use the output of the 9928a which would be bypassed by the expansion port's composite video input?

Ok, perhaps I worded my answer poorly. What I meant was that through the CV console you only get RF or perhaps composite if it is modded. Through the module itself you get RGB, perhaps S-video and stereo sound. However that is for OMNI games only.

So in an optimum setup, you can connect your CV to RF to play all CV, SGM1, and SGM2/OMNI games, and you can connect to composite/s-video/RGB to play SGM2/OMNI games.

Why not HDMI? Well, OMNI the console offers HDMI, but in order to keep the module costs low, we must pick either analog or digital. Since we are already producing analog for the RF, HDMI is out. Again, this is all for convenience, so you don’t have to hook up your system to multiple TV inputs or whatever.

With analog AV we also keep in the spirit of the base console, as requiring a separate AV out to be used would kind of “detach” the module from its base console.

The CV is still integral to OMNIs architecture, as it controls the whole sound subsystem. So it isn’t an useless appendix like with the Atari module, both “system” are working in tandem.

• Like 2

So with the OMNI module coming in 2019, does that mean the console won't release until 2020? I'm actually ok with that seeing as I just bought an Edladdin controller and pre ordered the Phoenix. What with numerous homebrew purchases as well, I'm already in trouble with the wife for spending too much on my hobby.

So with the OMNI module coming in 2019, does that mean the console won't release until 2020? I'm actually ok with that seeing as I just bought an Edladdin controller and pre ordered the Phoenix. What with numerous homebrew purchases as well, I'm already in trouble with the wife for spending too much on my hobby.

I would yes, 2020 for the console.

I will make a few points here about that:

I am trying to finance this venture myself as much as possible. I have been dreaming of making this my full time job. In order to accomplish that I need to sell lots of games. And to sell lots of games I need to sell lots of consoles and modules. So that said, I will have to subsidize part of the module and console myself, selling it at near zero profit. I will have to pay and scatter the costs for tooling, so early adopters don’t have to pay for that like with the sgm. So the plan is to make the module as affordable as possible, if possible around the same price as the SGM1.

As for games, assuming I can get a minimum number of modules out, because the manufacturing costs of a OMNI cartridge are expected to be lower than a CV cartridge, I hope to offer games at about $40, perhaps even lower if games sell well.

• Like 3

I would yes, 2020 for the console.

I will make a few points here about that:

I am trying to finance this venture myself as much as possible. I have been dreaming of making this my full time job. In order to accomplish that I need to sell lots of games. And to sell lots of games I need to sell lots of consoles and modules. So that said, I will have to subsidize part of the module and console myself, selling it at near zero profit. I will have to pay and scatter the costs for tooling, so early adopters don’t have to pay for that like with the sgm. So the plan is to make the module as affordable as possible, if possible around the same price as the SGM1.

As for games, assuming I can get a minimum number of modules out, because the manufacturing costs of a OMNI cartridge are expected to be lower than a CV cartridge, I hope to offer games at about $40, perhaps even lower if games sell well.

Awesome. I think I'm right in assuming that all OMNI games will be compatible on both the module and the console and not one or the other. If so, I may have to order some games that release with the module even though I'll be holding out for the console. Need to spread the cost out and don't want to risk them selling out before I get the console.

• Like 1

Awesome. I think I'm right in assuming that all OMNI games will be compatible on both the module and the console and not one or the other. If so, I may have to order some games that release with the module even though I'll be holding out for the console. Need to spread the cost out and don't want to risk them selling out before I get the console.

That is correct. We have a proprietary cartridge format that is compatible with both and the hardware will be the same, aside small things like AV out and controller physical connectors. That is one reason for having the module now, so we can build a sizable library before the console is released.

• Like 1

I'll likely be doing the same as well... I have a Phoenix preordered, which will replace my finicky Colecovision consoles, so I won't have a way to use the module. I'll get the Omni console itself at release and have plenty of games for it. Edited by Bry
  • Like 1

When you say Atari era classics...just in that time frame, or something like enhanced versions of Atari 2600 games. If that's the case, I'm suddenly interested.

And talking about library, it will be a mix of Atari era classics with much enhanced content, graphics, sound, and gameplay, as well as enhanced arcade classics.

When you say Atari era classics...just in that time frame, or something like enhanced versions of Atari 2600 games. If that's the case, I'm suddenly interested.

We are working with Rob Fulop just to give you one example. An enhanced version of a very popular VCS game.

I wonder if this is a case of history repeating itself. The proposal is similar to the Sega 32x & Neptune. The 32x was an add on for the genesis (Omni module for CV) and Neptune a full system (stand alone Omni). Both systems will compete against each other and the Phoenix for a very small market share. I guess it all comes down to the quality and number of games and how frequently they are released. The odds of either system being successful is pretty tiny.

I wonder if this is a case of history repeating itself. The proposal is similar to the Sega 32x & Neptune. The 32x was an add on for the genesis (Omni module for CV) and Neptune a full system (stand alone Omni). Both systems will compete against each other and the Phoenix for a very small market share. I guess it all comes down to the quality and number of games and how frequently they are released. The odds of either system being successful is pretty tiny.

I will give you another example. Super Game Module. More than 1,000 units sold. Tiny by commercial standards, huge for a homebrew product that created a platform inside another platform that has been “dead” for 35 years, to the point where it is now mandatory for any new ColecoVision compatible console.

But I agree on your assertion that quality and number of games is paramount. If everything goes as planned, we should have a small team working on games by next year, substantially speeding up game development.

• Like 6

Oh, and btw, the main problem with the 32X was that it was released too close to the Saturn, making it obsolete almost immediately.

• Like 2

I see your logic but it's apples and oranges.

We are working with Rob Fulop just to give you one example. An enhanced version of a very popular VCS game.

Soooooooooo Missile Command? That's one of my all time favourite 2600 games. I'm intrigued to see what the enhanced features and gameplay will be. Not sure I'd be all that interested in the same game but with prettier graphics.

• Like 1