IGNORED

Opcode 2019

opcode

What am I missing with regard to Jungle King? I've never played this game and have only watched a video of it on YouTube. From what I saw it looks closely related to Jungle Hunt and not a particularly good game. I'm not trying to put it down, but would seriously like to understand why it is so popular in people's poll responses.

It is the original release of Jungle Hunt, until it had to be modified and renamed due to a Tarzan copyright infringement lawsuit. IMHO it was a more polished effort, and made more sense too. Besides, it was a true graphics showcase back in the day, with its many scrolling planes and varied setting. Not to mention the main tune was very memorable, and it had the Tarzan yell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It is the original release of Jungle Hunt, until it had to be modified and renamed due to a Tarzan copyright infringement lawsuit. IMHO it was a more polished effort, and made more sense too. Besides, it was a true graphics showcase back in the day, with its many scrolling planes and varied setting. Not to mention the main tune was very memorable, and it had the Tarzan yell.

Okay, so I understand the attraction from that perspective, but I always found the actual gameplay enjoyment aspect of Jungle Hunt sadly lacking. Is Jungle King really that much better?

Okay, so I understand the attraction from that perspective, but I always found the actual gameplay enjoyment aspect of Jungle Hunt sadly lacking. Is Jungle King really that much better?

Same game, just different main character. But I guess the Tarzan character makes more sense for a lot of people, and the character graphics are more in line with the rest of the game. Jungle Hunt always looked like a graphic hack to me.

I'm of the same opinion. I've never played the arcade version but I have Jungle Hunt for the 2600 and I think it's one of my more middling games. I've watched a video of the Jungle King arcade original and while the Atari version has simpler graphics, the gameplay looks the same. As you say, the gameplay is definitely lacking. The elements are there for a fun game such as vine swinging, battling crocs and jumping over or ducking under rocks, but it's kind of too simplistic, especially for an 8 bit machine like the Omni. It needs more to it. Not sure that will be a game I purchase for my Omni if it's a faithful arcade adaptation.

Like any other game, some will like it, some won't.

I have many memories of playing Jungle King at the bowling alley directly behind my grandparents' house in north Jersey (a side restaurant that rotated games like Jungle King, Vanguard, Berzerk, and others I forget). Always found it enjoyable.

Summer trips to the Jersey shore always involved hitting the boardwalk arcades, and both my sister and myself played the heck out of Jungle Hunt, which took over. Can't really make any special case for it, it's just one of those games I've always enjoyed.

Not to mention there is no really good 8-bit port of Jungle King. It was never released for the NES, the Atari 2600/5200 were lacking and even the ColecoVision version had some elements missing.

Same game, just different main character. But I guess the Tarzan character makes more sense for a lot of people, and the character graphics are more in line with the rest of the game. Jungle Hunt always looked like a graphic hack to me.

So a Jungle King/Jungle Hunt/Pirate Pete cart would be interesting indeed. I remember playing King in the arcades, the Tarzan yell alone was worth playing it. Read about the lawsuit and did actually play Jungle Hunt when it was released, but it doesn't measure up when you've played the original. Never heard of Pirate Pete but seeing it on KLOV it looks pretty much the same game but with Pirates, although the swinging ropes section is interesting with the trees and jungle floor now being a pirate ship (but that's gotta be one heck of a long ass ship!).

Edit: turns out there was also a "Jungle Boy" by Taito, now if you paired that with the "Tarzan Boy" song by Baltimora for the soundtrack you might have something...

• Like 2

Zaxxon

Donkey Kong

Ms Pacman

Galaga

I'm very happy to hear about your SGM2 strategy as we have a lot of positive branding and experiences with the SGM1. Also really happy to hear you are prioritizing analog video and arcade resolutions. It's clear to me that you very clearly "get it" when it comes to the arcade spirit of the 80s. I will be keeping my eyes on your website. Good luck and Godspeed

Edited by panzeroceania

Elevator Action

Frogger

Galaga

Jungle Hunt

Im enjoying reading all this & Im looking forward to all future Opcode projects. Its so neat to be entering the 16-bit era after really pushing the limits of the CV to just about where the NES began to take things. Amazing to go from just games to an actual system with new enhanced games. Im happy to pledge my support when the time comes.

Not sure why people are opting for an Omni version of Frogger when the Colecovision version is pretty much perfect. My only guess is that not everyone here is a Colecovision owner.

Even pretty good CV ports can be improved I guess. And Ilija can create some cool 16-bit style graphics for the arrangement version.

Elevator Action

Frogger

Galaga

Jungle Hunt

Im enjoying reading all this & Im looking forward to all future Opcode projects. Its so neat to be entering the 16-bit era after really pushing the limits of the CV to just about where the NES began to take things. Amazing to go from just games to an actual system with new enhanced games. Im happy to pledge my support when the time comes.

Thank you! Glad to hear we think alike. Hope I can meet your expectations. :)

Edited by opcode

Zaxxon

Donkey Kong

Ms Pacman

Galaga

I'm very happy to hear about your SGM2 strategy as we have a lot of positive branding and experiences with the SGM1. Also really happy to hear you are prioritizing analog video and arcade resolutions. It's clear to me that you very clearly "get it" when it comes to the arcade spirit of the 80s. I will be keeping my eyes on your website. Good luck and Godspeed

That is quite a compliment. Just got word today that the team in Brazil completed the schematics for the SGM2. They will now start to design the PCB. Still aiming to show you guys some cool demos by March or April. :)

• Like 4

Here are my choices:

- Donkey Kong

- Pengo

- Galaga

- Elevator Action

Wow tough decision all those games were great and I would love to see them all.

Please do Zookeeper, it has been a game that has missed consoles for over 30 years now.

A port of Fantasy by Rock-Ola would be great, that game was interesting and had a lot of voice!

I would love to see vectors like Tempest and Major Havoc and Omega Race to see the console's ability to do vectors.

• Like 1

I am doing quick progress on a half dozen of those games. DK, Zaxxon and Moon Patrol are already running. The others I am still preparing the code.

Hardware team have the schematics done, waiting for the PCB design guy to come back from vacations.

Another vote for Zookeeper!!! How has this game not had a home release yet?!? It's a great game. It could be a CV exclusive! ;)

I also welcome ANY vector games.. but in the meantime, I'll keep lovin' on my Vectrex. :D

Well, unless Champ Games releases their Atari 2600 version first (which by the way, may be the most amazing 2600 game to date, and that's saying a lot since Champ's Mappy and Scramble ports were unbelievably good!)

I think that the SGM version would be incredible though... close to arcade perfect.

Just sold my Vectrex... it's been a lousy year financially.

• Like 1

Well, unless Champ Games releases their Atari 2600 version first (which by the way, may be the most amazing 2600 game to date, and that's saying a lot since Champ's Mappy and Scramble ports were unbelievably good!)

I think that the SGM version would be incredible though... close to arcade perfect.

Just sold my Vectrex... it's been a lousy year financially.

Ok, I can investigate that. I am well aware of Champ Games. Truly great guy, super super talented. All his games are must haves.

• Like 3