IGNORED

How do you play Lynx games in 2019?

lucifershalo

Handy for debugging and quick testing while programming

Lynx with Mc Will mod for gaming and testing my games once in a while.

Original Lynx for testing in order to check colors are OK for classic Lynx vs Mc Will.

Mc Will screen makes a big difference?

Remember the GBA vs GBA SP ?

Original Lynx vs Mc Will is a far bigger step... And you can also plug in a VGA screen or video projector...

If you come to next AC in Congis, I should be there so you can try it.

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 2

I use a Lynx II. No mods. Though it could use a new power button. When I was QC testing Zaku, I wanted to make sure everything looked super-de-duper on the stock screen. After all, there are plenty of people who have never heard of the screen mods, or just plain aren't interested in them. Anyway I'm kind of a purist, so keeping the original screen is a-OK with me.

I did have my Game Gear composite modded some years ago, along with a full recapping. Played it on the good ol' C= 1702 about... twice. :| It's a nice novelty, but I guess I just prefer my portable game systems to be... you know, portable.

Edited by DeathAdderSF
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my original pair of Lynx (1) from back in the day, but they mostly live in storage. The screens are just too washed out to get me excited about extended play on them.

Far more common, I play on my Mac with OpenEmu or various Android devices (with a version of Handy) -- playing on an Android TV is cool for sure.

I happen to like the various smoothing options when playing Lynx titles under emulation, whereas with larger screen systems (Intellivision and up) I tend to prefer my pixels chunky.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mostly real Lynx II with McWill mod + sainT's flash card for convenience. If I sometimes have a little bit more gaming time I use my real carts because it adds to the authentic feeling. Every once in a while I also play on my unmodded Lynx I and Lynx II, for that 100% authentic feeling! The McWill mod and the flashcard are some of the absolute best things that happened to the Lynx, but sometimes you miss the soft original screen and the beautiful original carts :)

I've been using handy for quick development testing and real Lynx I's and II's are needed to double check everything.

If I'm out of AA batteries and want to play Lynx on the go I use my "new 3DS XL" because I like the industrial design and the screen on it.