IGNORED

Retrotink 2x w/Atari quick review....

griff3125

6 hours ago, mytek said:

popcorn.gif.80e986a1936aff66084982c3b3133234.gifpopcorn.gif.80e986a1936aff66084982c3b3133234.gifpopcorn.gif.80e986a1936aff66084982c3b3133234.gif

Ha on my phone it split these up as three different pictures, looks much better on the desktop.

6 hours ago, tschak909 said:

3wseyg.jpg

Went to the dentist this morning, and they were playing some George Michael / Wham, so of course I started just thinking of Deadpool...

17 hours ago, leech said:

I just figured I would confirm the Retrotink does display all 240 lines.

20200415_212557.jpg

NICE !!!

Thanks to your homework, we can at least conclude there does not seem to be any sort of spatial compromise at the analog-decode stage and its up-conversion.

Seems like it may also be able to even handle the XEP80's output, at least in PAL mode, which will give a pretty readable display.

Looks like a keeper!

Edited by Faicuai

50 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

NICE !!!

Thanks to your homework, we can at least conclude there does not seem to be any sort of spatial compromise at the analog-decode stage and its up-conversion.

Seems like it may also be able to even handle the XEP80's output, at least in PAL mode, which will give a pretty readable display.

Looks like a keeper!

Would be nice to get more XEP80s, or something with that functionality.

Hello guys

34 minutes ago, leech said:

Would be nice to get more XEP80s, or something with that functionality.

@ClausB was talking about a simple cartridge that would create an 80 column output, but I haven't read about it in years.  Would be nice to hear about that project again.

Sincerely

Mathy

Wow, I read those old threads and see that my excuse was my robotics team coaching, which has been quite a time sink, though a rewarding one. Well I'm retiring from that after 12 seasons, so I should have more free time now. But is it too late for this project? How useful would this enhanced S-video thing be nowadays?

• Like 1

Hello Claus

On 4/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, ClausB said:

But is it too late for this project? How useful would this enhanced S-video thing be nowadays?

It's never too late.  The fact that some of us (read: at least me) remember it after ten years should tell you enough.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

This arrived today. Hope to get a chance to check out how well it works after work this afternoon. 

(PS Love the little canvas bag it ships inside.)

9DFC7266-80AB-41C6-B0A4-101699AB4BAD.jpeg

Congrats!  Yeah the canvas bag is a nice touch.  I still need to test out the new s-video cables.  If you happen to have some of the rca - s-video cables, test to see if the S-video connection on the retrotink is a tad too recessed for a solid connection?

6 hours ago, leech said:

Congrats!  Yeah the canvas bag is a nice touch.  I still need to test out the new s-video cables.  If you happen to have some of the rca - s-video cables, test to see if the S-video connection on the retrotink is a tad too recessed for a solid connection?

Not sure exactly what cable you mean but I tested the S-video connector with the four I had handy: an generic THICK-ASS S-video cable I had around, probably picked up 15+ years ago for some application or another. Then a Monster S-video cable that I vaguely recall buying when I didn't know any better circa 2000 or so when I finally bought myself a newfangled DVD player. And then a new-ish (2 years?) male S-video to RCA chroma/luma dongle adapter that I bought when I built my 1088XEL so I could use it with my chroma/luma vintage monitors. I also tested with an Atari computer DIN jack to S-video+R/W cable that I bought a few years ago on eBay to use my A8's with my S-video TV's. No problem with the RetroTink fitting any of them.

That said, when I grabbed the generic S-video cable I've used in the past to connect A/V stuff, this was the result from my 1088XEL, which normally has the sharpest S-video you can imagine. UGH!!! 

IMG_4238.JPG

Then I tested my Incognito 800 with otherwise-stock video. I see some faint DRAM video noise, but not too bad for a stock machine upscaled. This was with the Atari DIN-to-S-video cable I bought on eBay.

IMG_4247.JPG

Then I dug around in the garage and found the even older Monster S-video cable and tried the XEL again. Shazam. :) 

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

And finally I tested lag with one of the toughest twitch-games I know: 5200 Defender. Not too bad for a no-warmup-sit-down-and-press-Start game, if I do say so myself. VERDICT: NO SIGNIFICANT LAG :) 

IMG_4288.JPG

Edited by DrVenkman
Formatting; typos
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, leech said:

Very nice!

http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product is the cable I am referring to.

Your direct link to the product page gives me a server "forbidden" error. I think you're URL got truncated.  I had to go to main site landing page and then to the Atari computer cables. Not sure which of those you mean. Obviously I haven't used any of their cables though so I can't really tell you if they should fit. I did look at one of their S-video splitters and the one with the male pins, necessary to fit the DIN jack on the RetroTink, looks like it should fit. 

http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hercules-workshop&item=75349

I use something very similar to this, although the leads on mine are shorter. Per the reviews on Amazon, it's a chroma/luma splitter from S-video. Add a pair of female-female RCA couplers and any standard Atari video cable with male RCA connectors will work. 

https://www.amazon.com/CGTime-S-Video-Splitter-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07K76DC61/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3I1GDJ2ASD7RB&dchild=1&keywords=s-video%2Bto%2Brca&qid=1588293540&sprefix=s-video%2B%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-13&th=1

51 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Your direct link to the product page gives me a server "forbidden" error. I think you're URL got truncated.  I had to go to main site landing page and then to the Atari computer cables. Not sure which of those you mean. Obviously I haven't used any of their cables though so I can't really tell you if they should fit. I did look at one of their S-video splitters and the one with the male pins, necessary to fit the DIN jack on the RetroTink, looks like it should fit. 

http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hercules-workshop&item=75349

I use something very similar to this, although the leads on mine are shorter. Per the reviews on Amazon, it's a chroma/luma splitter from S-video. Add a pair of female-female RCA couplers and any standard Atari video cable with male RCA connectors will work. 

https://www.amazon.com/CGTime-S-Video-Splitter-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07K76DC61/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3I1GDJ2ASD7RB&dchild=1&keywords=s-video%2Bto%2Brca&qid=1588293540&sprefix=s-video%2B%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-13&th=1

Yeah, I tried and failed spectacularly on copy / paste on my phone.... because why would Firefox support pasting into itself...

29 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I am using THIS cable right here:

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-xlxe-5-pin-din-to-s-video-composite-av-cable/

and yeah, the cable you use makes all the difference, so many of them have cross talk so that the chroma signal winds up bleeding into the luma signal and you get the pin stripe pattern.

-Thom

I ordered some of these but have not tried them yet.

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:45 AM, stuarts said:

I had the same problem with my stock 800 (not xl or xe) and the retrotink 2x pro.  I updated the firmware to version 1.2 and it now works great.  I don't know how easy it is to update the firmware on the retrotink 2x, (I think you have to send it away)  I have a stock 800 (not xl/xe) with a composite cable.  I also had the same problems you mention with defender (the explosions) , and during hyperwarp on star raiders and jumping in miner 2049er.  The update fixed all the problems so far.  Rock solid picture now, and the sound works fine.  I've not tried s-video since I don't yet have a cable for that.  Also Samsung tv and samsung computer monitor.  Not sure if this makes any difference.

Have you managed to find svideo cable matching retrorink in the end? :) I’m looking too but I see only ones with svideo output plug and not chinch.

38 minutes ago, mikesk8 said:

Have you managed to find svideo cable matching retrorink in the end? :) I’m looking too but I see only ones with svideo output plug and not chinch.

The s-video min-DIN input jack isn't grouped with the RCA(AKA cinch) connectors, it is on the narrow end opposite the 2 switches. It is the silver square on the left side in this image from post #63.

Edited by BillC

8 minutes ago, BillC said:

The s-video min-DIN input jack isn't grouped with the RCA(AKA cinch) connectors, it is on the narrow end opposite the 2 switches. It is the silver square on the left side in this image from post #63.

Wooow i missed IT:) tkanks a lot!!!

6 minutes ago, mikesk8 said:

Wooow i missed IT:) tkanks a lot!!!

As a side note, I have both types of S-Video cable (one where it's a why adapter that the RCA style Chroma/Luma connect to) and one where it's part of the cable.  The one where it's part of the cable seems to fit better, as I think the round plastic bit is a tiny bit smaller, so it fits snugger into the RetroTink's S-Video hole.  I can take pictures if needed to show it.  But I couldn't get a solid connection on the other one unless I really sort of pushed it in hard, and then made sure nothing bumped it. 

12 minutes ago, leech said:

As a side note, I have both types of S-Video cable (one where it's a why adapter that the RCA style Chroma/Luma connect to) and one where it's part of the cable.  The one where it's part of the cable seems to fit better, as I think the round plastic bit is a tiny bit smaller, so it fits snugger into the RetroTink's S-Video hole.  I can take pictures if needed to show it.  But I couldn't get a solid connection on the other one unless I really sort of pushed it in hard, and then made sure nothing bumped it. 

Thank you! I will buy Lotharek dedicated cable with svideo din out :)