IGNORED

Model IV Keyboard went weird

polyex

Was typing along fine. I restarted my Model IV and now they keyboard is acting strange. When I press the 'D' key, I get 'C' on the screen . When I type 'T', I get 'S'. This is all consistent. Could I possibly have done something or do I need to open it up and check connections?

Regards,

Adam

The keyboard is directly addressed and pretty simple (see below). The keys themselves are just switches which connect rows and columns. I can't see any way they'd cause keys to move across columns. A shift key could be stuck on but it would have to be physically jammed down. The usual problem with these keyboards is keys stop working due resistance build up inside the key, broken traces or bad solder joints on the keys.

The buffer/inverters that read the columns may be going wrong. A stuck bit from them would explain the shift key problem. I suppose it is possible they could cause the columns to apparently shift.

If you do open your machine to poke around be very careful you don't damage the neck on the CRT.

MEM. 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

...................................... Model 1/3 Model 4 map 2
14337= G F E D C B A ` $3801 $F401
14338= O N M L K J I H $3802 $F402
14340= W V U T S R Q P $3804 $F404
14344= Z Y X $3808 $F408
14352= 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 $3810 $F410
14368= / . - , ; : 9 8 $3820 $F420
14400=SPC RT LT DN UP BRK CLR ENT $3840 $F440
14464= F3 F2 F1 CAP CTL RSH LSH $3880 $F480

I see there are hex inverter in U29 and U30 that buffer the address lines. I will pull the board and try replacing them. I don't think it is a trace problem just because the keys seem to work, they are just spitting out the wrong value on screen.

Edited by polyex

• 4 weeks later...