IGNORED

Bit Quest II new homebrew!

metalbabble

Hi all, I just wanted to share a new homebrew I just finished up - Bit quest II.

If you played the original, then I would say Bit Quest II is a logical evolution of that idea - it's much bigger and has more variety. It's an adventure-type game with an overworld and several dungeons with hidden items. It's sort of inspired by the original Zelda, along with games like Venture and Adventure for the 2600. It also incorporates a lot of feedback I received around the original. In any case, hope you enjoy!

Some notes:

* Joystick to move, fire button to attack. (Full instructions included) The premise is, the hero from the first Bit Quest is captured, so you have to rescue him. There are 4 keys hidden throughout the world which will unlock the final dungeon.

* Uses DPC+ so you'll need to play in a compatible emulator, like Stella.

* Max hearts can be increased by finding heart containers, and you can continue after a game-over.

* (NEW) Sub-screen with Game Select switch

Attached are some screenshots, and the download link is below. If you're interested in checking out my other homebrews including the first Bit Quest, my Atari page is here: http://atari.metalbabble.com/

Thanks & have fun!

UPDATE: I've made a few tweaks to the game since the initial post, thanks to some great ideas and feedback. I'm taking the attachments off the post - to help streamline things. The up-to-date latest version of the ROM is up on my site. Direct download link below:

** CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD **

post-62342-0-46074000-1547208460_thumb.png

post-62342-0-51654800-1547208466_thumb.png

post-62342-0-14933000-1547208474_thumb.png

post-62342-0-85706200-1547208478_thumb.png

post-62342-0-22026800-1547208483_thumb.png

post-62342-0-72069200-1547208488_thumb.png

post-62342-0-74393100-1547208532_thumb.png

Edited by metalbabble
  • Like 11

Thank you for sharing! This looks great!

What about that Snow Dogs game?? Any way to get the rom or option to buy a cart? :)

Hi all, I just wanted to share a new homebrew I just finished up - Bit quest II.

If you played the original, then I would say Bit Quest II is a logical evolution of that idea - it's much bigger and has more variety. It's an adventure-type game with an overworld and several dungeons with hidden items. It's sort of inspired by the original Zelda, along with games like Venture and Adventure for the 2600. It also incorporates a lot of feedback I received around the original. In any case, hope you enjoy!

Some notes:

* Joystick to move, fire button to attack. (Full instructions on my website and attached below.) The premise is, the hero from the first Bit Quest is captured, so you have to rescue him. There are 4 keys hidden throughout the world which will unlock the final dungeon.

* Uses DPC+ so you'll need to play in a compatible emulator, like Stella.

* Max hearts can be increased by finding heart containers, and you can continue after a game-over.

Attached are some screenshots, the label, instructions, along with the ROM. If you're interested in checking out my other homebrews including the first Bit Quest, my Atari page is here: http://atari.metalbabble.com/

Thanks & have fun!

Edited by mhodgeshvs

Bit Quest II looks great, awesome job metalbBabble! I can't wait to play it on ZeroPage Homebrew!

I noticed that when you move from one screen to another the line count isn't stable and may cause issues on non-CRT hardware such as the Framemeister and non-analogue TVs to drop signal temporarily or completely. The line count jumps up from a stable 262 lines up to 278, 279 or 269 (in/out of a dungeon) lines for one frame. You can check your line count in Stella by pressing Alt+L in Windows (Cmd + L on Mac) and watch for red flashes in the line count. You can also see it frame by frame in Debugger mode.

I'll be eagerly following the development of this! :-)

post-37205-0-46362900-1547279923.png

• Like 2

Cool, so I've just posted an update which will hopefully resolve this line count flicker issue. I played through a few times with the debugger set up to bark if I crossed the 262 count, so hopefully I've caught all of the places that would happen. At this point, I've gotten pretty efficient at speed-running it, lol!

In any case, thanks again this was really valuable info. The updated version should be attached to the original post above. It's also on my website, where you can always grab the guaranteed latest version. Direct download link here.

I have a few next steps / refinements in mind, so definitely don't hesitate to let me know if you run into any more glitches!

Bit Quest II looks great, awesome job metalbBabble! I can't wait to play it on ZeroPage Homebrew!

I noticed that when you move from one screen to another the line count isn't stable and may cause issues on non-CRT hardware such as the Framemeister and non-analogue TVs to drop signal temporarily or completely. The line count jumps up from a stable 262 lines up to 278, 279 or 269 (in/out of a dungeon) lines for one frame. You can check your line count in Stella by pressing Alt+L in Windows (Cmd + L on Mac) and watch for red flashes in the line count. You can also see it frame by frame in Debugger mode.

I'll be eagerly following the development of this! :-)

attachicon.gifBit Quest II-Line Count.PNG

• Like 2

Thanks so much metalbabble, looks like you squashed all the line count bugs that I've been able to find so far. I've added Bit Quest II to next Wednesday's line up for ZeroPage Homebrew! :-)

Cool, so I've just posted an update which will hopefully resolve this line count flicker issue. I played through a few times with the debugger set up to bark if I crossed the 262 count, so hopefully I've caught all of the places that would happen. At this point, I've gotten pretty efficient at speed-running it, lol!

In any case, thanks again this was really valuable info. The updated version should be attached to the original post above. It's also on my website, where you can always grab the guaranteed latest version. Direct download link here.

I have a few next steps / refinements in mind, so definitely don't hesitate to let me know if you run into any more glitches!

• Like 2

That map suggestion is a neat idea. I was trying to think of a way to do some kind of inventory screen where you could review the keys you found, etc. Maybe I'll have to upload a deluxe version :)

Great game I like it not too hard or difficult to play on a cell phone. Reminds me of Zelda some. Are you able to incorporate a map screen using the Select bw/color? Also the collision into the walls is a little bouncy as RT would say can you do smooth gliding.

Ok, sub/map screen it is! I really did like that idea, thanks again Lewis2907.

Use the "Game Select" switch to bring up the sub-screen. Shows map position and keys collected.

The only minor issue with it I'm aware of is that when you return to the gameplay, the monster locations reset. Not a huge deal, but somewhat annoying and I'd like to fix it still. Also nit-picky, but if you play around with the switch on a real system it is possible to get it to bounce back and forth between the game and sub screen. Also not a big deal, but I plan on taking a second pass on it. In Stella, it's completely fine.

I'm probably going to end up taking the attachments off the initial post and just use a link to my website, because as it is, the download count resets each time.

post-62342-0-22950000-1547435667_thumb.png

Edited by metalbabble
  • Like 2

I was able to pause or slecet and the sprites stayed in PacMan Eat N Run DPC. The source code is below.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=582959

Yeah, I think my plan is to move each sprite to y=200 and try and retain the old y positions for when you come out of the sub-screen. If I don't have enough memory left I might add ~100 to their y values then subtract it to bring them back.... Something along those lines. I could also try and just blank out the sprite data, I'll see.

Thanks for sharing!

Map/Sub-screen now working without having to reset enemy positions. Should be all good!

I ended up just storing a bit value (really is a quest of bits) that basically told my initialize room routine to skip over the code that sets the enemies' initial positions. No crazy variables needed :)

Hopefully no new bugs are introduced, the line count should still be stable.

The ROM is officially at version 1.2 now with the working sub-screen.

By the way, anyone complete the game yet?

I was playing around with the game in Stella and found a wall warp bug. If you press in the direction of a wall and toggle between the map screen over and over you can push your way through a wall.

Also, would it be possible for you to either date or version # your file names? It's a little hard to tell when it's been updated as they're all the same name, bitquest2.zip I always want to make sure I've got the latest version of the game while testing it out. :-)

Map/Sub-screen now working without having to reset enemy positions. Should be all good!

I ended up just storing a bit value (really is a quest of bits) that basically told my initialize room routine to skip over the code that sets the enemies' initial positions. No crazy variables needed icon_smile.gif

Hopefully no new bugs are introduced, the line count should still be stable.

The ROM is officially at version 1.2 now with the working sub-screen.

By the way, anyone complete the game yet?

• Like 1

That was pretty fast to incorporate. Probably would have took me a few days if not longer. Another request for the map. Is it possible to put 1 or change color so you know what Floor your on? That would probably help the person remember if they are on the 1st or 2nd. Another reason is that now the Select can be used as a pause if the player needs to go do something and comes back then they would know which floor they were on. I like the game a lot that KS for making this.

I was playing around with the game in Stella and found a wall warp bug. If you press in the direction of a wall and toggle between the map screen over and over you can push your way through a wall.

Also, would it be possible for you to either date or version # your file names? It's a little hard to tell when it's been updated as they're all the same name, bitquest2.zip I always want to make sure I've got the latest version of the game while testing it out. :-)

I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the catch.

That was pretty fast to incorporate. Probably would have took me a few days if not longer. Another request for the map. Is it possible to put 1 or change color so you know what Floor your on? That would probably help the person remember if they are on the 1st or 2nd. Another reason is that now the Select can be used as a pause if the player needs to go do something and comes back then they would know which floor they were on. I like the game a lot that KS for making this.

I want to (maybe) try and figure out a way to show which dungeon you're specifically in. Each one was supposed to be sorta themed around the area it's found in. E.g. an island, a pyramid, an icy cave, etc. I'd like to do a proper manual at some point and maybe I could list their titles there. I'm literally down to under 10 bytes left of graphics bank memory, lol! (But y'know, there's always a way...)

I just pushed up a version which should resolve the wall jump issue - another good catch there! The ROM is officially at 1.3 now!

As far as tracking the latest version, I've included revisions.txt inside the zip with a list of all the changes since the initial posting. This is how I've been trying to keep it organized, if the zip file mentions 1.3, it's the latest (as of this posting).

I suppose I could still rename the files if that's helpful. (I'm just nit-picky about the file names when browsing them on my harmony cartridge, haha.)

• Like 1

Can't go through walls any more, woohoo! Thanks for the quick update!

The next time I play it will be on the show on Wednesday, I'll be ready for some more bug hunting. ;-)

I just pushed up a version which should resolve the wall jump issue - another good catch there! The ROM is officially at 1.3 now!