IGNORED

Playing PlayStation Games

deepthaw

I'd like to pick up some PlayStation games that I missed, but I'm slightly confused as to all the intricacies of backwards compatibility between the generations.

I know PS1 games will play on a PS2, so I don't need a PS1.

PS2 games will play on certain PS3s - but those command a hefty price premium?

PS4s will play PS1 games (from disk? do you have to repurchase them?) - will they play PS2 or PS3 titles?

So at a minimum, I need a backwards compatibile PS3 and a PS4 to access the full library, but it may be more cost effective to get a PS2 and a non-compat PS3? Is my knowledge out of date?

I have a Trinitron in the basement so I can hook up a PS2 there if need be, but I'd like the keep the number of systems to a minimum.

If you want the ultimate, get the first gen PS3... which had support for PS1/ PS2 / PS3 physical disks. They can be kinda pricey now cuz everybody wants one, but I think they are worth it for the thousands of games they play.

https://www.lifewire.com/can-your-ps3-play-ps2-games-2717135

That said, you can save a lot of money by getting a later gen PS3 at Gamestop for cheap. It will play PS1 & PS3 physical and then you just download the PS2 games they have in the PlayStation Store.

PS4 isn't backwards compatible with anything. You can do some PS2 games, but they are digital downloads only and you have to re-buy anything you might already have on disc (not really what I call "backwards compatible").

Cheapest and most reliable bet is having a separate PS2 and PS3. Both systems are fairly cheap now. Early PS3 systems are compatible with PS2 games of course, but you are also looking at potential reliability issues. I personally wouldn't take the risk.

Edited by Austin

If you want the ultimate, get the first gen PS3... which had support for PS1/ PS2 / PS3 physical disks. They can be kinda pricey now cuz everybody wants one, but I think they are worth it for the thousands of games they play.

https://www.lifewire.com/can-your-ps3-play-ps2-games-2717135

That said, you can save a lot of money by getting a later gen PS3 at Gamestop for cheap. It will play PS1 & PS3 physical and then you just download the PS2 games they have in the PlayStation Store.

If I opt for a first gen PS3, how reliable are they?

Is backwards compatibility something that can be restored via a modchip or other modification? Or did they completely strip out the required hardware?

Is backwards compatibility something that can be restored via a modchip or other modification? Or did they completely strip out the required hardware?

Yeah, so reliability is an issue cuz of the heat generated. However, I have never had a problem with mine. The issue with the original PS3 is that they actually had the silicon in the console from the original PS2, which is what made compatibility so great! They later started removing those chips and started emulating via software... which helped a bit.

• Like 1

PS2 slim + PS3 (later models) is the way to go imo. Both together will be cheaper & more reliable than s first gen PS3. Also the way to go if youre into light gun games. Im not sure of the GunCon 3 compatibility with PS1/2 games if you were to get a gen 1 PS3 but i play all my PS1/2 light gun games on a PS2 using a GunCon 2. You definitely need a PS1/2 to use a Konami Justifier though.

• Like 1

Not. At. All.

They are notoriously *unreliable*. I guess it's possible that somebody at this point has figured out exactly what the problem was with them and formulated a fix, but I'd guess that "fixed" consoles (meaning ones not just kludged back together but really fixed) would be *stupidly* expensive if they do exist. I really don't know if there's been progress or not in truly fixing them, though; I stopped following the situation after getting rid of my original PS3.

I had a launch PS3 with the backward compatibility, and like probably 90% of these systems, it died after about 4 years. I did the only trick that was known at the time, which was to use a heat gun to try to re-melt the solder (or whatever was breaking) on or around the CPU enough to get it to conduct again, but this repair only lasted about two weeks. That was expected; it was known at that time that this was not a reliable repair, but it was worth doing to at least recover save data and whatnot from the hard drive to transfer to another PS3.

I have a PS3 Super Slim now (the last model) and it's been totally stable. It's not as elegant as the Slim but I've grown to like how it looks and the simplicity of how it works (which seems less prone to breakdowns; fewer motors). I would personally get a later model PS3 and a separate PS2 if you want to play PS2 games; you can get a PS2 for almost nothing these days. Yeah, it's better if you can just play all the games on one system, but I think you'll be happier in the long run with two separate systems vs. spending through the nose for an early PS3 that's probably going to break.

• Like 2

PS3 Super Slim is really the best model IMO. I've had the slim PS3 as well but I didn't care for it. I guess the biggest gripe people have with the PS3 Super Slim is how it looks. I have mine on a vertical stand it it looks great!

That being said I test PS1 games on the PS3 over HDMI and it's not a perfect solution. Some games have specific glitches to being played on PS3 and quite frankly it looks pretty ugly.

My solution atm for playing PS1 games is using a PS2 over component cables. It looks great and I have not run into nearly as many glitches as on the PS3.

I would prefer to play with original PS hardware but the console only carries svideo natively and the cables are pretty expensive for a decent one.

I know no one will agree with me, but if you literally mean PS1 games, get a PSOne+LCD combo, or get an original PS1 which has the port adapter on the back as that opens some doors too.

PS2 has compatibility problems with some PS1 games causing issues with visuals, saving, game play. Not common but a few games aren't happy with it, and not the trash stuff no one wants.

PS3 was already covered, the original release model does all 3, still now PS1 perfect or PS2 either but close, yet they're fail happy and heat up.

PS4 plays just PS4 unless something shows up on a PSN setup, and PS1 they've never added for some silly reason.

I know no one will agree with me, but if you literally mean PS1 games, get a PSOne+LCD combo, or get an original PS1 which has the port adapter on the back as that opens some doors too.

I agree with this. I have the PSOne and screen combo and it's great to play anywhere with an outlet. Plus it's easy to play backups and imports if you have a cheat disc and paper clip. I forget who is making a component cable for it to play on modern TVs, but it's in the works.

For now though if I want to experience something a little different, I play my games on my HDTV using a PS2 and component cables. Or I use emulation on my computer with enhancements, which works well too.

Edited by xenomorpher

There is that HDMI cable for PS2 by Pound that also works with PS1. It's been OOS on Amazon for a while now, and they've been selling for over $50 on eBay. Well, they're now back in stock on Amazon for $30. I ordered one.

Does it need external power to work, or just that into TV, and PS1 cable into that?

Does it need external power to work, or just that into TV, and PS1 cable into that?

I believe it does need USB power. This is not an issue with the PS2, but you'll need a power adapter and an outlet for the PS1.

I have the one for the Xbox, and some versions need the USB power and others don't.

I think I remember this now. There was universal complaint about PS2 not doing 480p and because the visuals were darker than normal through a standard cable. But, the up side (because that's what I care about) the PS1 stuff is bright and poppy like normal, very crisp and sharp visuals too, and it can handle even resolution changes nicely in them. I do have one powered USB port on my tv I've never used, this could be a good move. I'm just kind of out of wall adapter holes left considering all that is plugged in down there between a couple strips and a 3rd off to the side on another wall outlet. And I know I'm down to my last free HDMI port too.

I've got my PSOne+LCD yet I have actually 2 power plugs handy for the thing. One I keep bagged up in my desk with my 2nd controller, and the other leaves the system powered on my desk. I don't like running the system much through the TV as the LCD handles it better attached to it, even if it is small, but the HDMI out on that looks as nice if not better than the Sony screen.

If anybody else was curious about the PS1/PS2 HDMI adapter by Pound, I made quite a few screenshots showing off PS1 footage with it.

https://imgur.com/a/VCW4hZd

There was also a thread about this a while back. Link Here!

Short version for those disinterested in the links. PS1 games look good but come out wider. It won't beat RGB, but it's cheaper to access than RGB or more available than S-video is now.

I haven't done a lot of tests with the PS2, but I would if people were interested enough.

Mine arrives today. My 7 year-old Samsung 22" 1080p TV (which I use as a computer monitor) can turn on 4:3 aspect for HDMI input.

I'm slowly moving my gaming to a projector, so the more consoles that can output HDMI the cleaner the projector shelf will be. I can put up with a little degradation compared to component for the PS2, especially since the PS1 will look so much better.

$30 shipped is a great deal.

Just arrived. It works well with my PS1. Setting the TV's aspect to 4:3 makes the games look like they should.

I'd say that the image is a little darker than I'd expected with the PS1 (haven't tested PS2 yet), but no big deal.

That's great to hear/see! I'd have done that too, but my TV is missing the forced 4:3 aspect feature. :(

Might have to see if a firmware update exists and would fix this... Worth a shot at least.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I wouldn't play it in a box by preference, but I'm both glad to see that forces it to work, and that the image looks very sharp there too. I have a feeling the sharpness will really just depend on the TV and how it processes the signal. Stretching shouldn't blur or soften an image I've seen in some examples.