IGNORED

Chicago TI Friday 2019 - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

I want to recognize everyone who has contributed this year -- since contributions are anonymous I will not be naming, just know you are recognized.

Thanks to everyone who has thrown in as not only have we met our initial goal but we have also covered the second day.  I worked it out with the hotel to get the second day for $150.  I had not mentioned that and did not raise the goal as I was planning to cover the extra, but you guys have thrown in plenty.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, with special thanks to those who have contributed and will not be attending and those who have contributed multiple times and far more than their share (you know who you are.)  I am looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, broettger said:

Is there any kind of organized agenda for this event or is it more of an organic gathering?

Nothing.  Just come, grab a table, set up, and do whatever.  I am considering a layout of the two rooms depending upon how many people will set up.  If we have the space, I was thinking about setting up a projector in the second half of the room with the lights off where anyone can hook up their system for big-screen goodness.  Maybe some gaming fun.  I will be there late Thursday night setting up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Nothing.  Just come, grab a table, set up, and do whatever.  I am considering a layout of the two rooms depending upon how many people will set up.  If we have the space, I was thinking about setting up a projector in the second half of the room with the lights off where anyone can hook up their system for big-screen goodness.  Maybe some gaming fun.  I will be there late Thursday night setting up.

Are you able to bring some VGA monitors, like you did last year? Or composite?

I'm considering if I can pack a safely and comfortably (I have to roll my suitcase on public transportation).

What I'm considering bringing:

console with F18A

1 regular console (this may not make the suitcase cut)

Samsung 910MP monitor (this may not make the suitcase cut)

FORTI-2 prototype

VirtualBench lab tool (maybe, maybe not)

NanoPEB

TiPi

512k Flash Cart prototype

Soldering Iron (definitely leaving this out)

I will likely have a single 15" VGA monitor and a couple of the 7" monitors.  It costs quite a bit to ship stuff, so I am trying to see what all I can squeeze into a 24"-cubed box.  I am considering my soldering kit, maybe the battery-powered soldering iron and not the full hot air set.

Anything anyone can provide locally would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I want to recognize everyone who has contributed this year -- since contributions are anonymous I will not be naming, just know you are recognized.

Thanks to everyone who has thrown in as not only have we met our initial goal but we have also covered the second day.  I worked it out with the hotel to get the second day for $150.  I had not mentioned that and did not raise the goal as I was planning to cover the extra, but you guys have thrown in plenty.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, with special thanks to those who have contributed and will not be attending and those who have contributed multiple times and far more than their share (you know who you are.)  I am looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Thank you for all of your organizing and coordinating around this event.

I've been tied-up these past couple of months and absent from posting but have been watching the event updates here.  I hope to get in a little time there on Friday, if nothing else to put faces with names.  I'd also like to pitch in on a few things, including equipment and transportation.  I'll private msg you and couple others about what I had in mind.

Looking forward to it!

I have shipped my supplies today.  I went ahead and packed my soldering station and accoutrements.  I will be trying to fix the nanoPEB FedEx killed last year, as well as a couple of other minor stupid things.  I can make the station available if anyone will need it.

I packed the telephone line simulator (four lines, two voice paths,) an Anchor SignalMan Mark III modem, and some cords.  Oh, and I have my Phone2Cell, POTS phone to Bluetooth interface (allows standard phones to connect to a mobile phone.)  Something to play with.

Along with the 15" and 7" LCD monitors for my station, I also have two more 7" LCDs monitors which work very well with the TI's composite output.  These 7" also have HDMI and SVGA input.

I will also have a few 25 ft. extension cords with outlets at eight-foot intervals.

Unfortunately I am unable to tote very much.  I have room for some small things if there is anything someone needs that I might have.  What I shipped up (which includes the projector) consumes a 24"-cubed box.  Other attendees graciously offering to provide other hardware if anyone needs, so now is a good time to speak up.

Right now it looks like snow and rain on Thursday and bitter cold Friday and Saturday, so bundle up!

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Unfortunately I am unable to tote very much.  I have room for some small things if there is anything someone needs that I might have.  What I shipped up (which includes the projector) consumes a 24'-cubed box.  Other attendees graciously offering to provide other hardware if anyone needs, so now is a good time to speak up.

With a 24' cubed box, that sounds like quite a bit of equipment, or did you mean 24" cubed box?

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:

With a 24' cubed box, that sounds like quite a bit of equipment, or did you mean 24" cubed box?

Dude, what are you talking about ;)

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

I'm bringing my console, PEB, LCD monitor and my Heathkit Hero Jr robot as I plan on working on a project with it. I'll also bring a few tools including an MVM and a logic probe. 

Has anyone heard from Owen by any chance?

Not at all.  I was hoping he was in contact with some of the local folks...

I live on the northside of Chicago, just a couple of miles south of Evanston. Looking out the window now, and it seems like very meager snow by Chicago standards, although even a little snow can create transportation delays.  The ground is warm enough that it probably won't stick around for long. Local hourly forecast shows it tapering off around 5-6PM Central.  

The good news is tomorrow's local forecast seems precipitation-free and is sunnier and well-above freezing temps after 10AM.

Hope schedules move along without too much delay for everyone.  Travel safely. 

I made it in quite a bit late.  I am running errands and getting a bite to eat before heading to the hotel.  I will get checked in and get all my stuff up to my room and give a quick shout before heading back down to the room/lobby/restaurant/bar.  I will not be "staying out" late tonight as tomorrow will be a full day and this boy needs his rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kl99 said:

When do the first people come to the room on Friday?

I will be down there with everything set up at 8am.  We do not have a sign yet as I was late getting in last night, but I expect to go pick it up around 9:30am.  We are in Northshore A and B, which is the first two doors on the left after you pass the restaurant and front desk area.