IGNORED

Retro Adventures at GameStop

Lately it seems like everybody's down on GameStop. And with good reason. For the most part, the company seems to be pretty anti-consumer, and they're apparently not good at refurbishing consoles. I've never bought a used console from them so I don't have any experience. Anyway, they deal in retro stuff on their website. What I figured out is that if you wait for a decent promo code, you can get some really good prices if you have tempered expectations. I've spent around $45 total on games from there (free shipping). Picture of the games is attached to this post.

Streets of Rage 2

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sonic 3

Sonic & Knuckes

Sonic 1

Super Street Fighter 2

I know it's not good for someone who is into collecting and showing off their games. But I'm gonna be real, my carts get put into small totes that live in drawers. If a game is not CIB, it's for the best - I don't need the box because I don't want to dedicate a bunch of space to displaying games in boxes. All I expect from a game is that it works. I know there will probably be some label wear, and that I'll probably get bare carts, but that's all I want. Something that works. And they've delivered. Every one of them works fine. I did clean them with 90% isopropyl but that's standard practice for me.

Keep in mind I've spent all of on games spread across two orders, but that could actually be more like $60 because I do have a discount card with them and I found a members-only discount code for an additional 15% off, for a total of 25% off the games I bought. I feel like I got a good deal. The only game that was CIB was Sonic 1 (not-for-resale version, but it included two sweet posters as well as the manual), and the rest were carts only. Sonic 3 uses a battery for saves and it saves correctly - it even had S3&K saves still on it. I don't know if it's replacement battery or if GS did a good job replacing a dead one, or if it's an original. I do have replacements that I intend to install before I play it very much. I'd like to replace the batteries in my SNES carts, too, so I figure why not.

And I'm going to do it again. They still have several Genesis games I'd like to own, and the cart-only prices are pretty good, especially with the extra 15% off coupon. Anybody else have personal experiences?

post-61495-0-21548300-1547339260_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't bought anything retro of their website yet, but I do buy a lot from actual GameStop stores. The employees are almost always super friendly. The prices are good if you buy the right stuff and utilize the membership and the sales. The most sought-after games will always command a premium, so you're better off buying those on eBay (be patient and wait for a good deal). Those same games are typically abundant, just in high demand, so persistence pays off.

I buy mostly Wii and Wii U games because they're so cheap right now. PS3 and XBox 360 are also pretty cheap. They eliminated the Elite membership (20% off used games), but still have the Pro (10% off used games). The best sales are B2G1 and 4 for $XX. I typically use B2G1 for pricier games. For instance:

Game A = $19.99 ($17.99 Pro)

Game B = $19.99 ($17.99 Pro)

Game C = $19.99 ($17.99 Pro)

Game C is free, so you pay $35.98, or $12 each. When they still had the Elite discount it would have been $10.66 each (basically half off).

The 4 for $20 (games $9.99 or less) is great too. You obviously get the best deal by buying $9.99 games. You also get your discount on top of the sale. So, 4 games normally $9.99 each gets knocked down to $20 ($5 each), then you get another 10% for your Pro membership, so they're $4.49 each. When they still did Elite, they were $4 each. I grabbed Runbow Deluxe Edition, Hyrule Warriors, Legend of Kay, an the SteamWorld Collection for $4 each. Also, don't forget the return policy, which includes retro games from the website.

Personally, I think GameStop gets a bad rap, but then again I know better that to buy certain games there.

• Like 1

I've had nothing but good experiences in the stores. Bought an Elite Pro membership there just to fill in some WiiU and 3DS games and by utilizing the Pro discount, B2G1 sales, and rebates I've managed to get most of what I want for less than half what the same games would have cost buying one at a time on ebay at average prices.

They're even cheaper compared to the independent used game stores around here who all charge above ebay prices, never have sales, run limited hours, keep everything locked up so you can't handle the games without getting an employee involved, and treat every customer as a potential thief.

I did try the online route during one B2G1 sale and it was a mixed bag as 3 of the 6 GameCube games I ordered came without the boxes/manuals which I would have preferred.

• Like 1

When I lived in UK, CEX used to be a good place for all kinds of decent retro deals. They have changed a lot over the last decade or so, went into things like phones, mostly modern gaming and so on, but still have some retro stuff as well. Exchange deals are not as good as they used to be but still - you will get well over half price if you go for one of their vouchers. I think they tried to branch into US at some point but that has fizzled out.

• Like 1

I've seen a few videos lately of people opening retro games they bought on the GS web site... I wonder why that's suddenly a thing. I personally would not buy this stuff from them because I don't have any idea what I'm going to be getting. I don't really buy anything of any kind sight unseen; at least not used stuff. But if someone else does and they're happy with what they got, then that's cool. It's just not for me.

I've seen a few videos lately of people opening retro games they bought on the GS web site... I wonder why that's suddenly a thing. I personally would not buy this stuff from them because I don't have any idea what I'm going to be getting. I don't really buy anything of any kind sight unseen; at least not used stuff. But if someone else does and they're happy with what they got, then that's cool. It's just not for me.

They probably just want to show anything fake they get or broken for the views while ranting how bad they are. There are reports of broken consoles and repro/fake games/non-functioning games. This is the risk you take when you buy sight unseen as you said. There is one youtuber that takes consoles apart and does the same thing I guess as a warning of what you can get?

I stopped shopping at gamestop years ago. 3 non-functioning games and a demo made me lose interest in them. Online they were fine the few times I used them.

But if I did, I would buy similar to what the OP did. Games I have no worry about being repro'd or fake. I've seen some good news so I've been considering a test purchase in the future.

Edited by Outdoormongoose

I've seen a few videos lately of people opening retro games they bought on the GS web site... I wonder why that's suddenly a thing. I personally would not buy this stuff from them because I don't have any idea what I'm going to be getting.

You answered your own question- it's a thing becuase people wonder what they're going to end up with. Some crazy repro or board swap? Actual good condition CIB games? Become a Patreon and find out a week earlier than YouTube! Like & Subscribe!

Overall I'm in the same boat as you, I'm too fiddly about condition to buy sight unseen- but for those who aren't picky, they can get a decent deal out of it. And for folks like us who are picky, we can use them as leverage: "I can get Bubba's Big Adventure for 10 bucks from Gamestop, why is yours worth $30?" Now the seller has to either come down in price, or be just as fiddly as we are about condition to warrant the premium cost. It's a win-win in my book.

I feel like most people are overly butthurt about Gamestop becuase they sold a good game(s) a kid for what is a pittance of its current value, and they decided it's Gamestop's fault & not becuase they were a dumb kid once (like everybody is).

A few months back, they were having a big sale on collectibles and retro stuff. I bought all of this for about $25:
u4ibwEyl.jpg

The Pixel Pals were new and had no issues whatsoever. The games were a mixed bag. The F-Zero cart was near perfect; the thing looked new, and plays perfectly. Altered Beast is the same, and it was complete in box! Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, however, came in a dinky paper sleeve and was resurfaced, and poorly. I can't get it to work on my GC or Wii at all. By the time I play tested it, it was too late to return it. If you buy from them, test things out ASAP.

Not too shabby for $30.23, I'd say. And yes the manual is in the box, too.

The black thing in the photo was a sticker covering up the original bar code. Peeled right off. Everything is good with the cart, fires right up and the label is in good shape. I feel like I won the lottery.

post-61495-0-06218500-1547666635_thumb.jpg

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 4